Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Hex wrench suggestions (stripped every 2.5) >

Hex wrench suggestions (stripped every 2.5)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hex wrench suggestions (stripped every 2.5)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

is there a exact standard = to 2.0mm?

5/64 maybe?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MötleyRöx
OK.

I can see what you mean. I can believe you see what I'm saying as well.
You're right, I DO have a calibrated torque arm.
Ha, just trying to make it a little lighter in here.

Honestly, I don't strip many things... but hardened tips are fantastic. I'm betting that if you dig into a snap-on catalog or special order from one of the companies I've referred to that a have a warranty (that's all I'm trying to sell here) and you might find the smaller sized hardened tips.

So, in a very roundabout way, we've agreed.
I have been digging through the snap on catalog for 30 min now. So far I haven't found a single allen wrench of any kind that I would ever buy in a size smaller than 2.5mm. I do see a set of sockets in larger sizes I would like to have though.

On a side note, a year or so back I was installing a centrifugal clutch on a Harley trike for a guy that was handicapped (actually did the trike conversion, installed a reverse gear and the clutch). The clutch came set-up for a carbureted bike but this was fuel injected so after talking to the manufacturer, I had to pull the whole thing apart to swap out a few discs to get the spacing right for fuel injection. Only problem was that the hat was help on by about 20, 2mm bolts. After an aggravating time with an L wrench, I went inside and broke out my RC tools. An OFNA 2mm power driver bit and a cordless screwdriver made quick and easy work out of that clutch job.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by koreanassasom
is there a exact standard = to 2.0mm?

5/64 maybe?
Nope. 5/64 is about .02mm smaller than 2mm
Old 12-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

well thats just dumb lol. i ordered the AE hex wrench set and no 2mm. the one i need the most. i have been using the 5/64 its working well but why wouldnt they include a 2mm. i see the 5/64 is 1.98mm.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by koreanassasom
well thats just dumb lol. i ordered the AE hex wrench set and no 2mm. the one i need the most. i have been using the 5/64 its working well but why wouldnt they include a 2mm. i see the 5/64 is 1.98mm.
Was it a metric set?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Lord

I'm guessing it is this set and that is dumb. Needs to have a 2mm.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Hex-Driver-Set
Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

yes thats the one and the really dumb thing is i ran rc8 an rc8t last year and those kits have a lot of screws that require 2mm. lol
Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Lord

Well, here is your chance to try one of these:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ex-Driver-20mm

Not the cheapest but well worth it.

I guess AE figures 5/64 is close enough to not need to include it. I think I have a 5/64 around somewhere, guess I'll have to try it.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Very happy with my Losi wrenches. I do a complete tear down after every race (typically weekly). The only screws that I've ever had a problem with are the clutch pins (now I replace them every build). I really like the handles of the Losi wrenches. The only complaint I have is the tips a little bit shorter than I'd like on the 2.5 and 3/32 ball drivers (same length as the non ball but it would be handy to have a longer shank on the ball drivers).
Old 12-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now see, wingracer... the whole problem was that you even had to work on the bike. Blame Harley.

Oops, wrong thread... wait, wrong forum even.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm pretty happy with My integy ones like the colored handles.They have replaceable tips & fit real tight. Bondus makes a good set of reg allans without the larger ones you don't need for RC.If a screw is real tight in metal some firm hits one the back of driver will shock the threads, my brother showed me when I was a kid have used technique on up to 2" nuts and 4'' pipe. You don't want to use that size hammer on your buggy though.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

I know its alittle late but tool truck small allens are no good when compaired to RC specific allen drivers. No you can not special order true hardened allens off tool trucks in any form T,L,or socket.The ones actually made by the tool truck companys & not just rebadged KD or Lyle are forged & while forged steel tools are hard they are no where near as hard as the drill bit blanks many RC specific tools are made from.

You can still cut glass with the decade old MIP drivers I have or the Bullit ones that are 4-5 years old.You cant do that with brand new Snapon tools.
Please dont take this as picking on tool truck tools,I have well over $150,000. in snapon & matco tools & boxes that I use every day to feed my family for the last 15 years.

For 1.5,2.0,2.5,3.0mm hex drivers tool trucks are a frustrating waste of money.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by MötleyRöx
Now see, wingracer... the whole problem was that you even had to work on the bike. Blame Harley.

Oops, wrong thread... wait, wrong forum even.
I'm no Harley fan but the bike was fine. I was building it for a handicapped guy that was dieing of cancer. His wish was to ride again before he died so I converted it to a trike, added a reverse gear and a centrifugal clutch. I spoke to his wife a few weeks later and she said she had a hard time getting him off of the thing. He loved it. Unfortunately he passed a few weeks later.

Actually, I generally prefer working on Harleys. They are pretty simple compared to Hondas but I sure wouldn't own one.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by madweazl
Very happy with my Losi wrenches. I do a complete tear down after every race (typically weekly). The only screws that I've ever had a problem with are the clutch pins (now I replace them every build). I really like the handles of the Losi wrenches. The only complaint I have is the tips a little bit shorter than I'd like on the 2.5 and 3/32 ball drivers (same length as the non ball but it would be handy to have a longer shank on the ball drivers).
This is why I like Hudy. The shafts are long and can get to hard to reach places. I have the Losi tools as well and yes they are nice. The one thing that I like about the Losi tools is that there is two set screws holding them together. One for the shaft and one for the handle.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by butch man
I know its alittle late but tool truck small allens are no good when compaired to RC specific allen drivers. No you can not special order true hardened allens off tool trucks in any form T,L,or socket.The ones actually made by the tool truck companys & not just rebadged KD or Lyle are forged & while forged steel tools are hard they are no where near as hard as the drill bit blanks many RC specific tools are made from.

You can still cut glass with the decade old MIP drivers I have or the Bullit ones that are 4-5 years old.You cant do that with brand new Snapon tools.
Please dont take this as picking on tool truck tools,I have well over $150,000. in snapon & matco tools & boxes that I use every day to feed my family for the last 15 years.

For 1.5,2.0,2.5,3.0mm hex drivers tool trucks are a frustrating waste of money.

well said butch.

Ive personally seen/tried the snapon big long red handeled 2/2.5mm and it was a joke.....can you say twisty twisty.