Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Paul,

I have heard great things about the TP motors and am thinking of getting one. When running 17.5 blinky I have heard the blue rotor can really help. What would you recommend if you were running 17.5 blinky at West Coast? I know silly you don't run that but I know you are familiar with the track.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Paul,

I have heard great things about the TP motors and am thinking of getting one. When running 17.5 blinky I have heard the blue rotor can really help. What would you recommend if you were running 17.5 blinky at West Coast? I know silly you don't run that but I know you are familiar with the track.

Thanks.
run the blue rotor, start with the timing at 35* on the motor, start your gear at 4.2 FDR, I have seen as low as 3.8. You will want to put a fan on the motor and to gear to keep the temps around 150* after 5mins.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hi paul! do you use abs with your 4pks? i find that with some tires i hear grip during braking. but people tell me its bad for the esc?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

PAUL --- thanks for the tips yesterday. By the main the car was REALLY easy to drive and fast, but stupid me overlooked a tweak issue so I had a few blunders. It was a blast racing with you!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Hi Paul,

Just wondering if you could give me some tips on radio setup for 1/12.

Thanks

Josh
Old 08-23-2011, 01:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dontfeelcold
Hi Paul,

Thanks

Josh
I have one for you Josh. Don't stand next to Hiroshi lol.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The ass is smart in this one.

Maybe I should have sat on his shoulders?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey Paul,

In TC, rubber tire, on carpet, when would one consider changing from the std eccentrics to the 1mm eccentrics? What are you looking for when you do this change?

Thanks

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 08-24-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Paul, another question for you.

If you had a TC car that could only balance out by adding weight to the point that it far exceeded the minimum weight limit. Would you be be more tempted to ditch the weight and balance pin check and concentrate on getting the balance of the car via a tweak bar? (So you would have equal weight on the 4 wheels?)

Thanks
Old 08-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Paul-

You have a PM

regards-
Eric
Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Gravity RC

Hi, Im Back from a long trip, sorry for the delay..

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Paul,

Thanks.
Looks like Jim got you the info you need already. 150deg would be nice, but dont worry to much if its a little warmer.

Originally Posted by ThunderPowerRC
run the blue rotor, start with the timing at 35* on the motor, start your gear at 4.2 FDR, I have seen as low as 3.8. You will want to put a fan on the motor and to gear to keep the temps around 150* after 5mins.

thanks!

Originally Posted by tmomedrano
hi paul! do you use abs with your 4pks? i find that with some tires i hear grip during braking. but people tell me its bad for the esc?
Hi, I dont use the abs feature on the 4pks. it may not be easy on the esc but any kind of brake is hard on esc's. i doubt you would have esc faliures by using the abs function. But no i dont use it.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by cwoods34
PAUL --- thanks for the tips yesterday. By the main the car was REALLY easy to drive and fast, but stupid me overlooked a tweak issue so I had a few blunders. It was a blast racing with you!
Thanks, it was fun running with you too. Glad that the car got better for you. i think it was hard for everyone last weekend. see ya!

Originally Posted by dontfeelcold
Hi Paul,

Thanks

Josh
Hi Josh. for me its pretty standard, I will set my epa's to turn about a 4 to 4.5 foot circle both ways. then i always use a good amount of negitive staaring expo, I will start with -30% steering expo. severyone likes their brakes different so set the brakes how you like them and thats about it.
Hope that is what you were looking for, Thanks.

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Hey Paul,

In TC, rubber tire, on carpet, when would one consider changing from the std eccentrics to the 1mm eccentrics? What are you looking for when you do this change?

Thanks
Hi, normally i feel like the car has more traction with the higher diffs. i usually run +1 high all the way around. that being said i havent tested it properly in a while. when your at races and do these changes its hard to tell sometimes with the track changing so drasticly. so i could be wrong. Thanks

Paul, another question for you.

If you had a TC car that could only balance out by adding weight to the point that it far exceeded the minimum weight limit. Would you be be more tempted to ditch the weight and balance pin check and concentrate on getting the balance of the car via a tweak bar? (So you would have equal weight on the 4 wheels?)

Thanks
Hi. you should beable to have the best of both worlds by mooving components around.
I assume that you re talking about the battery side being light on your TC, I would not run it overweight. I would do away with your battery holders and start hanging the battery farther out side untill the car ballances out on the pins. The car will drive well this way and not be overweight. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi. you should beable to have the best of both worlds by mooving components around.
I assume that you re talking about the battery side being light on your TC, I would not run it overweight. I would do away with your battery holders and start hanging the battery farther out side untill the car ballances out on the pins. The car will drive well this way and not be overweight. Good luck.

Unfortunately in this situation its the battery thats the heavy item. I thought about flipping belts and moving the battery inboard more but I don't think I would have good top deck clearance. If I get everything balanced out its usually at 1420+ range. Thanks for the input anyways.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Gravity RC

Unfortunately in this situation its the battery thats the heavy item. I thought about flipping belts and moving the battery inboard more but I don't think I would have good top deck clearance. If I get everything balanced out its usually at 1420+ range. Thanks for the input anyways.
I would hate to suggest it but can you take the electronics side and moove components out. the car will be less stable but maybe give it a shot.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi Paul what body are you using right now? Any tips for mounting your body?
Thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by liteweight
Hi Paul what body are you using right now? Any tips for mounting your body?
Thanks

Hi. for my electric TC the speed 6 light weight is still the norm for me, I dont dislike the LTCR or the P37 but i normally stick with the speed6.
I tend to mount mine a little bit forward, like 2mm forward of perfect center, i run the stock wing 10mm behind the rear bumper as always. so nothing has changed in a while for me.
for 12th scale i run the AMR12 lite, 10th nitro the P56, 8th scale i like the 909 best, Obviously all Protoform.

thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.