Old 12-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by eded1
Hi Paul.

Short one, have you raced with the new HPI spec tyres, and if, what
do you think of them.

Regards

Ed
Hi ED!, I have not used the tires yet. sorry.

Originally Posted by jkirkwood
Paul, thanks for the tips. I ended up softening the dampening rate in the rear tonight which I felt gave a bit more steering, or the feeling of more response, entering the turn. Then finished up with 2 deg front and 1.5 rear vs 1.5 front and 3 rear. Qualifying was a new track record by a few sec even when missing my gearing. In the main I compounded a bit more of the front tires and the car was even better.
Great, No problem.
Im glad that you got it all figured out.
Thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Paul, have you tried running 6deg castor blocks on the t3 11? I noticed you ran them on some of your older setups. What do you feel the difference is in running 4deg versus 6deg? Thanks!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hey paul,
which servo and receiver are you running and is it compatible with the 3pk?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Paul, i would like to know how you were able to have 4.5mm shims on the rear uprights on your iic setup? When I tried it the screw would hit the wheel. You also say the camber link is placed on the diff cover. How were you able to do that?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Addict

Paul i hope your little man gets everything he s been wanting, anthony wants me to bring him to the birds to c paul lemieux, hehe. c ya soon have a great Christmas. c ya ralph
Old 12-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by franc furter
Hey Paul, have you tried running 6deg castor blocks on the t3 11? I noticed you ran them on some of your older setups. What do you feel the difference is in running 4deg versus 6deg? Thanks!
I havent tried 6s on this car. 6s will have more steering and make the front end of the car roll more. The 2011 car has always had pleanty of steering and lots of roll for me. so right now i dont have a set up for the 6deg caster blocks but maybe for the future.

Originally Posted by Chris08527
hey paul,
which servo and receiver are you running and is it compatible with the 3pk?

Hi, Im running the R614FF reciever and the bls551 servo right now. I dont know for sure weather it is compatable, Ill look in to it. Thanks

Originally Posted by gonzo416
Paul, i would like to know how you were able to have 4.5mm shims on the rear uprights on your iic setup? When I tried it the screw would hit the wheel. You also say the camber link is placed on the diff cover. How were you able to do that?
Hi, i use the optional ball cups and ball studs for my camberlinks, this will free up a little room, and it is possible that your wheel is smaller than what i was running with that set up.
On my my most current carpet set up I did not use the modified camber link, i used the stock camber links. but for asphalt i almost always use modified front link, to do that i thread a ball stud threw the back of the lowest set of holes for the shock tower, then use a ball cup, depending on the ball stud used you may have to use a shim behind the ball studs so the ball end dosent bind on the shock tower mounts.

Thanks

Originally Posted by rocca30
Paul i hope your little man gets everything he s been wanting, anthony wants me to bring him to the birds to c paul lemieux, hehe. c ya soon have a great Christmas. c ya ralph
I think Chase will do ok, lol. you better bring him to the birds, you guys Too!!.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Gravity RC

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Which one of us is bringing the Sprecher to Florida?
Old 12-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Happy Holidays from everyone at RCAmerica.

Thanks Drew
Attached Thumbnails Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC-xmas-2.jpg  
Old 12-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Paul,

I have a couple of questions ..

1. I've started to see alot of setups that are using the 50mm drive shafts front and rear, what does that do for the car in terms of handling?

2. For the shims that you use for the camber links (hub side front and rear), it seems that the rear always has more shims than the front, is there a reason that almost all setups are this way?

3. For track-width, is there a difference in adding shims to the bulkheads vs. using offset wheel hubs? For instance, in your cleveland setup you have the front shimmed out 2.25 per side as well as using the +0.75 offsets, could you have shimmed it out to 3.0 instead and not use the offsets? or do they address different things in terms of handling.

4. On the T3'11 setup sheets, where it specifies Flex, there is a box that says "ECCenter" with options for "Standard" and "1", what adjustment is that refering to?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Hi Paul. Awesome thread as always. With regards to rebuilding ball diffs and in particular the grease used. Ive watched the Jilles RedRc diff build video but im wondering your thoughts on rebuilding and what you do in particular. In your opinion what is too much and what is too little grease when rebuilding? What parts will you automatically bin? Any tips on running in a fresh built diff? Thoughts are appreciated. Regards Benzaah.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Xpress
Which one of us is bringing the Sprecher to Florida?
iether you or we can find some while we are their.

Originally Posted by ByteStream
Hi Paul,

I have a couple of questions ..

1. I've started to see alot of setups that are using the 50mm drive shafts front and rear, what does that do for the car in terms of handling?

2. For the shims that you use for the camber links (hub side front and rear), it seems that the rear always has more shims than the front, is there a reason that almost all setups are this way?

3. For track-width, is there a difference in adding shims to the bulkheads vs. using offset wheel hubs? For instance, in your cleveland setup you have the front shimmed out 2.25 per side as well as using the +0.75 offsets, could you have shimmed it out to 3.0 instead and not use the offsets? or do they address different things in terms of handling.

4. On the T3'11 setup sheets, where it specifies Flex, there is a box that says "ECCenter" with options for "Standard" and "1", what adjustment is that refering to?

Thanks in advance.
Hi!

1: i feel like the 50mm driveshafts make the car more responsive, the 52s make the car smoother. in my poinion the car is easier to drive with the 52's but faster with the 50s. from a theory standpiont im not really sure why, but i think a shorter drive shaft has more bind do to a greater change in angle threw suspension travel and possibly more leverage over the suspension threw power transfer. ?

2: Not really, i just always tune the shimms on the outer link for camber gain, if you only used 2mms on the rear with the L1's you would not have hardly any camber gain. The L1s and H1s put the inside point of the camber links pretty high so more shims need to be added to the outside to complement the inner point being high.

3: yes their is a big difference between the 2 ways of making the car wider for the front and rear.
for carpet i like the way the +75s feel on the front, it allows me to drive the car harder in to the corner and almost slide the front end in. with tuening the hexes you are changing the width of the car but more importantly you are changing the "scrub" or the wheel base of the inside tire VS the outside tire.
example: lets say you have +100mm hexs (lol), then turn the wheels, the outside contact patch would sweep and be out side and infront of the body somewhere and the inside tire would sweep back and be way back somewhere outside of the battery.

4: I beleive that is reffering to the diff height, we have 0 and +1. so we have 4 different diff positions (0's down and up, and +1 down and up. so basicly you are changing your dog bone angle at ride height. i normally use +1high in the front and 0's high in the back. for foam with a very small tire we would use a lower setting to get the dog bone angle back in a good place for that tire size.

No problem, Thanks!

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Hi Paul. Awesome thread as always. With regards to rebuilding ball diffs and in particular the grease used. Ive watched the Jilles RedRc diff build video but im wondering your thoughts on rebuilding and what you do in particular. In your opinion what is too much and what is too little grease when rebuilding? What parts will you automatically bin? Any tips on running in a fresh built diff? Thoughts are appreciated. Regards Benzaah.
Hi.
For me a fresh diff if rebuilt properly is always better. even if the diff feels good after a few runs it is always best fresh built. The thrust is always key to getting a good diff, the thrust bears just as much load as the main balls and rings and is much smaller so it has the biggest challange in front of it.
when i rebuild a diff i always use a fresh thrust greased with xray graphite grease or associated black grease, the thrust dosent need to have and Grip it just needs to be as smooth as possible and compinsate for diff action.
The balls and rings need to have Grip on eachother, i use 600 to 1000 grit samd paper on my rings, i use the female outdrive and sand each ring untill the previous groove from the balls is gone, best to sand it in circles then a fugure 8 on the sand paper so you will have small grooves running in all directions across the ring from the sand paper. the sand paper is used so the diff balls get better traction on the ring to prevent slipping, the best diff lube for me is the associated stealth lube, it has small particles in it to once again form better traction between the balls and rings. in which i use a small dab on each ball.

All in all the diff needs to not slip under power. For example once i thought i was super smart (lol) so i polished my diff rings and found a really slippery grease for the balls, the result was that i had to tighten the diff so much to prevent it from slipping under power that A it was super tight feeling once i tightened it not slip and B it put so much more preasure on my thrust and it killed the thrust bearing almost instantly.

hope this helps!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default More diff questions.

Hi Paul, hope Xmas and holidays are going well for you and yours. Here you may be coming up North for a visit, hope the weather co-operates for that one.

Any how, about diffs. If the thrust washer is the weak point, what if a person tried to do a similar thrust setup like in 1/12th and eliminate it completely using a real bearing and a load cone washer instead? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Hi Paul, hope Xmas and holidays are going well for you and yours. Here you may be coming up North for a visit, hope the weather co-operates for that one.

Any how, about diffs. If the thrust washer is the weak point, what if a person tried to do a similar thrust setup like in 1/12th and eliminate it completely using a real bearing and a load cone washer instead? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Hi!, i have seen TC diffs like that but it is not a good solution do to a bearing performing very poorly under side load, even in 12th scale i prefer a thrust assymbly over the standard bearing. the best help in my opinion would be a larger thrust assymbly, or a gear diff
Old 12-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi.
hope this helps!
Thanks for that Paul. I am a big fan of the associated grease as well. From what you have just said i probably dont rebuild often enough and I use way to much grease so i will ease of it next build and see how that goes. Regards Benzaah

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.