Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC >

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Old 11-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Paul,

I am running a T4'14 with the stock set up except a couple of changes I have stuck with.
2.5mill and 2K rear, tried 2.7 front springs last race but that might have taken away too much steering. camber 1f and 1.5r. I have also tried mid hole on inner front cambler link but went back to outside.

Switched from Jaco's to Sweeps so I can run same tire in Vancouver and Seattle.

I am getting a deep wear groove at the inside of the tires (only f&r tires that are outside on the sweeper). It doesn't seem to be effecting the ride, the car is working great (but can always be better), it is just not giving me too much tire life. I don't mind replacing tires sooner.
Is this something I should be worried about handling wise? Is this my driving style?

Should I try to tune this out... how?
Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
Any last minute Timezone GP plans?

Ryan
Maybe he will run Stock TC too...
Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

So I am looking for a little tuning advice. I am running a t4'13 in VTA class and am losing ground in the two 180 degree sections. Take a look at this video and you can see what I am talking about. My car is the white one with the stripes. I started in 2nd position.

For a setup everything is stock rubber tire setup with the exception of...
Front diff with 500,000cst
3mm droop over ride height F/R
2000cst in the rear diff
1.5 negative camber on all four corners
2 degree rear toe

I am looking to get through the 180s a little faster.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
Any last minute Timezone GP plans?

Ryan
Sorry but no as you already know. good luck this weekend!

Originally Posted by Clint161
Hi Paul,

I am running a T4'14 with the stock set up except a couple of changes I have stuck with.
2.5mill and 2K rear, tried 2.7 front springs last race but that might have taken away too much steering. camber 1f and 1.5r. I have also tried mid hole on inner front cambler link but went back to outside.

Switched from Jaco's to Sweeps so I can run same tire in Vancouver and Seattle.

I am getting a deep wear groove at the inside of the tires (only f&r tires that are outside on the sweeper). It doesn't seem to be effecting the ride, the car is working great (but can always be better), it is just not giving me too much tire life. I don't mind replacing tires sooner.
Is this something I should be worried about handling wise? Is this my driving style?

Should I try to tune this out... how?
Yea, we call this the "Death groove", it is something that is not worth your time to try and tune out, and sometimes its not really that bad for handling, it is simply the flex of the inner sidewall causing that part of the tire to be driven in to the track by the inner side wall being underneath it when the tire folds over. I dont have any suggestions to prevent this because you would likely chase your tail and end up just going slower trying to set up a car not to do this.

sorry

Originally Posted by Meradin
So I am looking for a little tuning advice. I am running a t4'13 in VTA class and am losing ground in the two 180 degree sections. Take a look at this video and you can see what I am talking about. My car is the white one with the stripes. I started in 2nd position.

For a setup everything is stock rubber tire setup with the exception of...
Front diff with 500,000cst
3mm droop over ride height F/R
2000cst in the rear diff
1.5 negative camber on all four corners
2 degree rear toe

I am looking to get through the 180s a little faster.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Hi, I would try 1million in the front diff and thinner rear shock oil. I think the 1 million will not really take away steering as it looks like the grip is just ok but make the car simply pull better than the 500K, also the thinner rear shock oil always makes the car rotate better for me in the tight sections. on top of that you could go to 2deg front camber. those three things together should make the car overall faster.

good luck!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Paul,

It seems like in most of your T4 carpet setups, you run a raised rear or lowered front roll center at the hinge pins. Why is that?

Also, is a gear diff with 2.5M basically a fixed thing for you in mod on carpet?

-Mike
Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Paul,

It seems like in most of your T4 carpet setups, you run a raised rear or lowered front roll center at the hinge pins. Why is that?

Also, is a gear diff with 2.5M basically a fixed thing for you in mod on carpet?

-Mike
Hi Mike. Yes, so far with this car i like to run the front pins a bit lower, it makes the car roll over the nose more which seems to work well lately.
The front diff with 2.5million is much different than a lock diff, it is stiff but their is still movement for sure.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi Mike. Yes, so far with this car i like to run the front pins a bit lower, it makes the car roll over the nose more which seems to work well lately.
The front diff with 2.5million is much different than a lock diff, it is stiff but their is still movement for sure.

Thanks
I don't think that's what he meant about the diff
Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Paul,

-Mike
Originally Posted by cwoods34
I don't think that's what he meant about the diff

Yes, LOL. I see now. Yes, 70% of the time i use a 2.5million front diff, sometimes i still use 1 million.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes, LOL. I see now. Yes, 70% of the time i use a 2.5million front diff, sometimes i still use 1 million.
Paul, can you describe why the different oil weights up front?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's a question what's your method for adjusting front toe so they are equal?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I switched to 1k in the rear diff last week...man, what a noticeable difference. The rear of the car came around a lot faster than before. To the point it almost felt too fast.

I changed the front diff to 1mil for this week. And am going to try just the diff for now. After the first run I will see if some camber changes are needed.

Thank again Paul! Wish I could have made up to Brandon's track to race with you guys, busy weekend here.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Dog Bone
Paul, can you describe why the different oil weights up front?
Hi, I have had success with both 1 and 2 million cst, I have not been able to put my finger on which i like better for different situations. For instance, at the pre worlds i was able to win with the 1Million (med bite huge outdoor track), also at "pro level raceway my car was amazing with 1million (super high bite tight carpet track), but recently at Vegas and Snowbirds i thought that the 2.5 million was best and those were med size carpet tracks. so I dont really know yet, sorry.

Originally Posted by Fladust
Here's a question what's your method for adjusting front toe so they are equal?
Hi. First i make sure that my front turnbuckles are equal in legnth with a calipers, then i check the overall toe on the hudy gauges. So if i want 1deg total "toe out" i will make one side at 0deg then when i slide it over it will be 1deg to equal .5 per side. now when i trim my car to go straight i will have .5deg per side. hope that helps

Originally Posted by Meradin
I switched to 1k in the rear diff last week...man, what a noticeable difference. The rear of the car came around a lot faster than before. To the point it almost felt too fast.

I changed the front diff to 1mil for this week. And am going to try just the diff for now. After the first run I will see if some camber changes are needed.

Thank again Paul! Wish I could have made up to Brandon's track to race with you guys, busy weekend here.
Great. If the bite comes up more you may have to go thicker in rear diff oil to keep the same feel ( that's what i normally notice).glad that your having success
Old 11-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

"Thunder buddy's"!!!!!!

No problem!. LOL "Thunder buddy's"
Old 11-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Paul,

Have you run the T4 '14 with CPX tires yet? I have a big race this weekend with CPX tires and I haven't raced with these tires in the last 2 years. Do you have a good base setup?
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by morgoth
Hi Paul,

Have you run the T4 '14 with CPX tires yet? I have a big race this weekend with CPX tires and I haven't raced with these tires in the last 2 years. Do you have a good base setup?
Hi, I haven't run those tires in many many years. Maybe Hagberg has ?, otherwise i would just start with my normal set up and see how it goes. Wish i could be more help.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.