Wiki Posts
Search

Feedback on Losi 8IGHT 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Feedback on Losi 8IGHT 2.0

I just got the 8IGHT 2.0. The thing is amazingly fun to drive. I had some trouble getting it running but after I did, it is FUN as hell. I am currently in the break-in process and don't want to put the thing down! I caught my self running over the 3 min mark a few times just because I lost track of time because it was so much fun!

I did have some feedback though...and thoughts. This is coming from a novice so if you suspect I am doing something wrong please share. This isn't a bashing but just some of the things that I didn't really find that easy to deal with.

Starter Box
- Unless I don't know how to use it that well or am using it wrong this is kinda a PITA to deal with. While I was having trouble cranking the thing I had to stop and charge the batteries twice before I ever got it cranked. It is kinda hard to get it to fit on the thing correctly every time without having to fiddle with something.

Putting the batteries in the thing was pretty easy but charging them is troublesome as you have to charge both batteries which takes twice as long. A pull cord would be nice but I guess since this is a racing buggy it is a weight saver. Plus the stupid connectors are kinda cheap IMO.

8IGHT 2.0-

The RX hump battery thing is a tight fit and can be difficult to get all the stray wires into the compartment without one slipping out stopping you from being able to put the lid on.

The motor was really difficult to start. I am not sure if this is how all of these nitro motors are but I did have to move the high and low needles to actually get it to crank. No big deal but I am a novice and didn't want to just start changing a lot of stuff straight out of the box.

I have a hard time getting the thing going in a straight line. I adjusted the steering trim but maybe I need some driving practice but even at half throttle I can't hardly get it to go straight haha. I think this is a user error . At first the thing was slightly drifting to the right without me turning the steering but I think I fixed it with the trim.

For some reason after running it for a few minutes the thing wouldn't turn right at all. The servo wouldn't turn the wheels to the right at all. It would turn them to the left but once I let the wheel go on the controller it would straighten the wheels back out but even if I turned the wheel on the remote all the way to the right it wouldn't turn the wheels to the right on the RC car. Not sure what was up with that but I cut it off and went inside and charged the battery and it seems to have fixed the problem. I have heard that getting new servos should be the first thing on my list .

No reverse? I could have missed it in the manual, but does this thing even have reverse?

Overall though this thing is fun as hell. I am really happy with my purchase. Thanks to everyone who gave input and suggested this buggy. I can't wait till after work so I can get home to finish breaking it in so I can tune it and see what it can do! Going to defiantly need some more gas, this quart isn't going to last long at ALL!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Tech Prophet

1.for the starter box i would get the gell cell battery it last longer,
dont push down the buggy. to long on the starter box that will burn the motors up and the run down the,
battery.

2. some motors are harder to brake in then others hint novarossi ,
but its not a bad thing though in the long run.

3.if the servo wont still go stright when u mess with the steering trim,
take the servo horn off the. steering servo and set your steering trim to 0
and put the servo horn on stright, and make the steering saver tighter if it
feels to loose.

4. u dont want reverse on a 1/8 buggy

i dont have a eight 2.0 i run a eight 1.0b with the order eight starter box,
but im getting the 2.0 eight b chassis. and longer center rear axle so it will be
eight b 1.5.

glad you like the eight 2.0 wait intil u get on the track with it.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Heat the engine up with a heat gun before you fire it up, it makes it alot easier to start.

You will end up replacing the steering servo. Go ahead and be looking for a nice replacement steering
Old 12-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It sounds like you've used all of your turning just to trim it out. Take the horn off, center the trim back to zero, and put the horn back on centered. There is linkage connected to the steering assembly, adjust that so the horn is perpendicular with the linkage and the servo.

Also the Losi 350 is a decent motor but it can be a pain to start when new. Definitely preheat. It took about a gallon before it fully broke in for me, but it holds its tune beautifully and makes enough power to clear anything I've needed it to in a race. It's now got about 3 gallons and is my backup's backup motor (yeah I have a backup for my backup) because I can just bolt it in and race.

As far as the battery goes, I didn't have a problem at all with the hump pack the kit came with. I do have trouble with Lipo packs being a tight fit with the flat battery box top though.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AndrewClaycomb
It sounds like you've used all of your turning just to trim it out. Take the horn off, center the trim back to zero, and put the horn back on centered. There is linkage connected to the steering assembly, adjust that so the horn is perpendicular with the linkage and the servo.

Also the Losi 350 is a decent motor but it can be a pain to start when new. Definitely preheat. It took about a gallon before it fully broke in for me, but it holds its tune beautifully and makes enough power to clear anything I've needed it to in a race. It's now got about 3 gallons and is my backup's backup motor (yeah I have a backup for my backup) because I can just bolt it in and race.

As far as the battery goes, I didn't have a problem at all with the hump pack the kit came with. I do have trouble with Lipo packs being a tight fit with the flat battery box top though.