Search

Getting ready for winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default Getting ready for winter

WOW its been a while!

anyways im getting my lst2 ready for winter anyone have tips on making chains?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lst2Man
WOW its been a while!

anyways im getting my lst2 ready for winter anyone have tips on making chains?

screw chains....go Spikes.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i've been thinking about something like those spikes, which works better the bolt heads or teh screw ends? and do you need a thicker/meatier tire like the GT1's you have posted or can you use something thinner, i plan on using these in a 1/10 application would going thru the rim be better to reduce spike flex?

the lug
Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by rclugnut
i've been thinking about something like those spikes, which works better the bolt heads or teh screw ends? and do you need a thicker/meatier tire like the GT1's you have posted or can you use something thinner, i plan on using these in a 1/10 application would going thru the rim be better to reduce spike flex?

the lug

very valid question's......i would advise to use a luggier tire for the fact the threads have something to bit into....i had to predrill a small 1/16" hole first through the lug then the screw's would go in for the cap style.

I had 2 rims shatter from doing some crazy stuff on a cold day and had to dis mount 2...so that's when i removed the cap's and went from the inside out......If you ask me the spikes are significantly better in the short term but over time they loose the sharpness somewhat and still work just fine but you know they wont last forever.
they wear from getting on pavement section's or doing standing burnout's that spin down to the gravel or concrete w/e your driving on.

I would also advise to only go through the tire....remember the rubber will want to balloon when going wot so if you went through the rim then the spike it might pull through the tire and be stuck in between the tire and rim.(worst case scenario but you never know)
Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Suspended

I dont want holes in my tire i dont have another set i would like chaind i might do the spikes for my tmaxx !!!!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Lord

I dont want holes in my tire i dont have another set i would like chaind i might do the spikes for my tmaxx !!!!!!

they aren't holes persay...more like a Guide for the screw to get through the rubber....your not actually drilling a hole but more so piercing the rubber for the screw to get through....I hear ya on not wanting to ruin a set of tires...but if you ask me tires are disposable item's...have fun and use em.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Suspended

Angry

so i took out my tuck today and BOOM my starter broke ! so off to the hooby store soon in the next wcouple days
Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Lord

so i took out my tuck today and BOOM my starter broke ! so off to the hooby store soon in the next wcouple days

Preheating the motor does wonder's when playing in sub zero temps.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:49 AM
Suspended

lol i did but my starter was broke at the tip by the plastic