Need some advice.. New comer here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some advice.. New comer here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need some advice.. New comer here!

Hey guys,

I am brand new to the sport of RC racing, I don't even have a car yet. A friend of mine flies planes and I went with him the other day, saw the Touring cars on the track and I am addicted.

My question is this, everyone at the local track races the TC3 and TC4.

Why? Are they the best or just the most popular?

I have searched the net and saw the Schumacher cars..they look awesome, but are they worth the $$?

I also don't want to buy a "new" car cause then to be competitive, I would have to install upgrades..

What advice can you guys give me on car types, radios, servos, motors, etc...

Any help is appreciated! Thank you in advance

Nation
Old 12-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

If most of the local guys are running TC3s and TC4s then that would be the best to start with. If you need set up help, it's there. If you break something, chances are you will find it at the track if there is not a shop on site.
Chech out ebay or the "For Sale" thread here to find a good deal on a decent used one. Try to find one with extras like tires/wheels, body and spares included. It's cheaper to get a used car with parts then to have to buy them new from the hobby shop. That way you don't have tons of money invested if you change your mind.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Put a post in the Want To Buy section. I am sure someone will have what you need. I would go with what everyone at the track runs. They should be able to help you with setup and other questions you have
Old 12-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ask around at the track too and see if anybody is selling a car. It's always nice to buy local.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Tech Champion

Not equipment related, but mind related...

Whatever car etc you choose, have FUN.

Leave the winning for later, or you will learn very quickly that r/c cars are not your thing. Learn to control the car, which then brings the subject on to...

Start off slow, and when the time comes, go faster, not the other way round, or you WILL break something....

Likewise, if the car isn't working right, take it off the track before you break something.

You dont see a race horse race with 3 legs, likewise you don't race a car unless it's performing right.

I might sound like an ass, but I learnt the hard way 15 years ago.

I wouldnt want to see anyone else learn the hard way!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 AM
Tech Champion

double post

Last edited by tc3team; 12-15-2009 at 02:17 AM. Reason: double post
Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default welcome

What car to buy is the least of your worries,schumacher,tc5,etc,check out your local hobby shoppe and see what they carry and what spares are available.Schumachers are worth it,you have a variety of set-ups etc,but,like me,you may want the slickest looking car as well as the best priced.check out the TC5,the new schumacher Mi pro,xray 09 and post what you think.the speed controllers are very user friendly,as are motors becuase what class you race will determine the motor you buy.We are all on the "new" 2.4 GHz system these days and a SPECTRUM DX3S radio with 2 recievers and telemetry display is pretty trick and great value.Dont get confused and read too much,go for reliable big name brands that you can get spares for.Let me know if you need anymore help,regards,Tim (racing touring cars for 20 plus years in Australia.)
Old 12-15-2009, 04:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Default me again

by the way the guys above me know their stuff......second-hand from a regular track member is also a great idea.remember REGULAR track member.Good luck youll love it.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default TC3 teams advice

This guy knows exactly how to approach racing.Have fun first and get quicker over time.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They may have all been running those cars because it's a limited class, limited to just those cars. Check with the club and see what classes they have.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the advice. I will be back at the track this weekend to ask some questions regarding cars and items for sell.

Thanks again!

Nation
Old 12-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
Not equipment related, but mind related...

Whatever car etc you choose, have FUN.

Leave the winning for later, or you will learn very quickly that r/c cars are not your thing. Learn to control the car, which then brings the subject on to...

Start off slow, and when the time comes, go faster, not the other way round, or you WILL break something....

Likewise, if the car isn't working right, take it off the track before you break something.

You dont see a race horse race with 3 legs, likewise you don't race a car unless it's performing right.

I might sound like an ass, but I learnt the hard way 15 years ago.

I wouldnt want to see anyone else learn the hard way!!!

VERY VERY VERY well said sir... but where do you run where people are only running tc3's and tc4's? They are still awesome cars to run and they are so easy to adjust, and mind you I have only been in RC for about 2 years so this info may be long but I have listened well.... and anyone please feel free to correct me where I am wrong

If I were you I would try and find a Tc3 with the threaded shocks and aluminum dog bones, they seem to be the easiest to tune.....Well because there just isn't that much to "Tune" you have a couple of shock positions, ride height adjustability ,camber ,toe in and toe out and you can always adjust roll center bump steer, kickup, and so on and so on with shims. In my eyes the Tc3 is the better of the two because of way to much adjustability in the Tc4 for what it is, if you are just starting out I really suggest the least amount of adjustment available and then jump to a luxury sedan when you feel this is something you like ( and you will) this is just to get you used to driving the 4wd sedan. Tonight I actually helped two guys with there cars and they were absolutely horrible with there set up. Ride height was way off his tires(Jaco Blues)were filthy shock oil was way to light (in my eyes) 30ft w/ blue springs and the exact same in the rear. The car handeled like DOO DOO..The other guy was running silver up front and green in the rear with Jaco blues. To put it a little more simple... The first time these guys came with there TC3's they could not break 13 sec laps on our track where our fastest laps are 8.0 and this is with higher end sedans. They ended up with 8.6 very very consistantly and all we did was put 50 weight oil in the front shocks.

So more simply put...... get a tc3 with the upgrades for durability and you might as well get a decent brushless system I.E. speed passion ,Tekin or LRP
and if you have the dough go Black Diamond you will be able to use this ESC and be competitive for along time:lol

Good luck,
Chris Totcky

P.S. always remember to just have fun!!! I have learned the more you have fun, the more you have fun!!!!

Last edited by Tha Skinny; 12-16-2009 at 10:03 AM.