Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro fuel cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default Nitro fuel cooler?

Just would like to know the principal behind this and is it necessery. Does it cool the fuel so that it will not consum as much and replenishes the tank with what has not been burned off by the engine its self. How does this affect the tunning and the performance of the nitro engine if any? Is it acctualy a good investment or one that is just a money grabber in the long run?
Old 12-14-2009, 05:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Location: Stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany, but am depoyed to Camp Liberty.

I am curious about that too. It doesn't seem like it does much. The fuel that in that little section of fuel line would not be in there very long enabling it to be cooled.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

They are meant to be used on the exhaust/pressure line that enters the fuel tank. They do 'work' and make the fuel in the tank about 12-15* cooler. Beyond that I did not see consistent benefits to them (sometimes more runtime, sometimes less runtime) and experienced some tuning/reliability type problems most of the time. If anything, this type of part was meant for on-road racing than off-road where the power department is under a lot more demand.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

im not taking my beer out of the cooler to make room for fuel!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by allan42r
im not taking my beer out of the cooler to make room for fuel!
smarty pants!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Beer doesn't belong at the track.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
Beer doesn't belong at the track.
not at the track. maybe in the pits
Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Says who...?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fine, it's not beer........it's go fast juice
Old 12-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

this concept is used in motocross. But not really for coolin the fuel just to keep it from boiling. We run specail heat matereal underour gas tanks to keep the heat from the motor away from the fuel. It does make a differnce in performance if your ridin for over 25 min. But the colder the fuel the tihter the cells are so you can stuff more cold fuel in a combustion chamber campared to hot. Thus ivin you more power. But in an RC car it would only help for the first five laps or so. Till the heat from the pipe and motor reached the tank. So i wouldnt waste my time on it.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Lord

I have made a pressure cooler and I can not tell it will save me runtime but I do believe the tuning of the engine will stay more stable. Heating up the fuel will make the oil in it thinner and so the fuel thinner, that will result in a richer running engine. When tuning it right, after a fuelstop cold fuel will go in and the engine will go lean. The famous hicking engine after a fuelstop.....

Beside that.... the longer pressureline will create less pressure into the engine and you will tune the engine to it so it will be less pressure sensitive and the lower pressure will also create less heat in the fuel.

We have never messered the fuel temperature but we like to know what the differences with and without are.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/a...rticles_id=172

"In the air:
In first few flying, I don't feel too much different until when I take out the Exhaust Gas Cooler. But I don't believe the 7'c different won't influence any performance. So I change the way of testing. I fly the heli alternating with exhaust gas cooler and not. And I have also extended the flight time from six minutes to nine
Minutes. "

as how describe in heli article..
Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 PM
mvo
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the egc is meant to cool exhaust gas from the pressure line. The idea is that you don't heat up the fuel in the tank with hot exhaust gas. Apparently, the on road guys were having problems at the worlds making a 6min qual. They added the egc and gained the extra time to make a qualifier without refueling.

The idea sounds good, but doesn't make sense. Your pressure line has a very small flow moving past it for the cooler to cool down. The flow would be equivalent to the amount of fuel your burning per unit time. Maybe if you had a large volume of air running past it, you might notice a significant gain (like a heli or on road car). I've ran two races with it in my 8scale with no real gain in mileage.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Tech Adept

I feel it has aidied to give a more consistent tune as the fuel stays at a lower temperature during a run, probably more noticable after a fuel stop as the engine does not bog down as much coming out of the pits. It made a big difference in on road in run time maybe not as much in offroad as wider range of throttle is used, but it still aids in effeciency & every little helps when making those 10 minute stops. If its only 10 or 20 seconds thats still more time in a safety margin.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 AM
Tech Lord

Indeed the same results as I have seen.....

My cooler:

Not the most fancy but it works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.