Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI switch

Has anyone had a hands on experience with this, it looks pretty good for a beginners car. anyone have any thoughts on it?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, it looks to be very good for beginners and also lookslike fun for experienced drivers.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The guys over at rc-mini don't think too highly of it at all. Here's their review of it http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index....iew&Itemid=115
Old 12-11-2009, 06:43 PM
NT
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The originals were very ordinary. Hence how the gang at rc-mini bagged them.

I do know that they have been testing one of the newer ones, the just released Alfa Mito rtr kits and Hpi have apparenty made some changes. I didn't get a full report from them on the car, but the originals were so bad, anything would be an improvement.

I'd probably stay away from them just for now-buy a Tamiya Mini-you can't lose
Old 12-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NT
The originals were very ordinary. Hence how the gang at rc-mini bagged them.

I do know that they have been testing one of the newer ones, the just released Alfa Mito rtr kits and Hpi have apparenty made some changes. I didn't get a full report from them on the car, but the originals were so bad, anything would be an improvement.

I'd probably stay away from them just for now-buy a Tamiya Mini-you can't lose
haha funny you say that i decided to buy one today
Old 12-12-2009, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I was really surprised when I read that review... HPI usually releases some good, quality stuff, to see that article, I was wondering if HPI were merely re-badging and distributing some junk that came out of some factory somewhere...

It could be that their designers had a tight schedule and a low budget for this project... This was their "best" effort...

djr53, since you'll be driving one of these, why don't we get a second opinion from you? Tell us what you think of the vehicle... Sometimes, reviews aren't that accurate either. Some cars require a bit of work, "diamond in the rough" sort of speak...
Old 12-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
I was really surprised when I read that review... HPI usually releases some good, quality stuff, to see that article, I was wondering if HPI were merely re-badging and distributing some junk that came out of some factory somewhere...

It could be that their designers had a tight schedule and a low budget for this project... This was their "best" effort...

djr53, since you'll be driving one of these, why don't we get a second opinion from you? Tell us what you think of the vehicle... Sometimes, reviews aren't that accurate either. Some cars require a bit of work, "diamond in the rough" sort of speak...
actually i went with the mini cooper, i wanted to assemble myself instead of having it rtr.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by tom_chang79

actually i went with the mini cooper, i wanted to assemble myself instead of having it rtr.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Has anyone had a good experience with the Switch?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jato Fox
The guys over at rc-mini don't think too highly of it at all. Here's their review of it http://www.rc-mini.net/joomla/index....iew&Itemid=115
thats the funniest review ive ever read.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MD
Has anyone had a good experience with the Switch?
Three of the guys I normally bash with decided to buy these cars for kicks and giggles. So far they haven't been terribly reliable. Granted two of these guys aren't the easiest on cars.

Each car has gone through one set of bevel gears with motors ranging from 19-27t. Unfortunately they aren't terribly durable and the parts are not so easy to get. The steering linkage on the car is horribly sloppy as well. The upgraded turnbuckle from the servo to bellcrank helps a little bit, but the bellcranks themselves still have quite a bit of slop in them.

A Tamiya mini is probably a better choice at this point in time until HPI starts making the parts for the Switch more readily available.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

And.....we stand by our original review.

Anyone who saw Atsushi Hara struggling with the Switch at the recent TITC race will tell you it was a pig.

It was so bad he swapped to a FWD only converted Cup Racer for the finals. Only to find that wasn't much better....
Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
And.....we stand by our original review.

Anyone who saw Atsushi Hara struggling with the Switch at the recent TITC race will tell you it was a pig.

It was so bad he swapped to a FWD only converted Cup Racer for the finals. Only to find that wasn't much better....
That is entirely correct. It was amazing that he managed to get the car into the A final. He did that in early qualifying before all the other cars got faster. When the grip came up the Switch was useless. It just bounced around the track
Old 03-20-2010, 05:30 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Thanks for the input. I thought the stories you related would be the case. It's too bad HPI missed the mark.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

picked up one of these a few months ago (the kit version with the MITO body). Got interested because of the more flexible gearing and that the kit was cheap. With some DIY modifications from scrap parts and i got it to run better (more predictable handling). noticed the back end hopped around a lot during corners though. haven't tried running it in a race yet though... just some practice laps around our local track...
will see in the next club race how well it fares (we run 13.5BL or Sport Tuned motors).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.