Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
EP Noob Qn: Setup for mod and stock... >

EP Noob Qn: Setup for mod and stock...

EP Noob Qn: Setup for mod and stock...

Old 12-07-2009, 04:27 AM
Tech Regular

Default EP Noob Qn: Setup for mod and stock...

hi,

i have a question on setup for mod class racing and stock class racing...

assuming i have two identical cars, how different would the setup on a "dial" mod car compare with that of a "dialed" stock car assuming the same driver and conditions?

logical thinking tells me that it will be different give the difference in speeds (hence also weight transfers) and the mod car needs to stiffen all round...

any clarifications?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Master

i would think the suspension would be about the same or a little softer for mod and maybe a little less steering and a longer car to smooth thinks out a bit. for the most part the same springs could be used but a completely different set up
Old 12-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

i see so if i have a car setup for stock... i need not deviate much for mod?....

jut need to soften maybe the shocks slightly and i can keep the rest of the car the same?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know you said you had 2 cars but this is just my thoughts.

from what i have seen of race. if you are running the same car in 2 different class you are going to have trouble especially if you are running both classes on the same day. Cause you wont have time to change setups. If that was the case i would set the car up for mod and then try running it with the stock gear and see how that setup feels.

But with 2 cars you will be set. The only thing i have heard is that mod puts a lot of wear and tare on the car. If you crash then it will usually be pretty big, so have lots of spares. The setups wont be different as rosko said. if you make the car stiffer when you hit something like a rock instead of absorbing the impact it will bounce and lift off the track.