Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy >

Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy

Serpent 811 Cobra Buggy

Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

I also felt my car being a bit, sluggish at first but Ive worked alot with the setups and found one that I think makes the car absolutely perfect.

I can post a full setup later but I run my diffs 10-10-7. 10 degree casterblocks and 2 degrees camber on both front and rear. Aswell as 1 degree toe out in the front. Also changed to the option 2 steeringrack.

I tried the 12 degree casterblocks but strangely I found the car to be harder to drive and more nervous in highspeed corners which made it harder to position correctly.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by porkchop
move the hubs forward some.
try a 2.5 rear bar.

try to pick up the camber link a hole to
u mean the inner camber link on the rear move it up one hole?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777
ok i'm having alittle issue with the way the car turns. when i first took the car out my diffs were 5-5-5 i really liked how planted the car felt but the car pushed pretty bad. the rest of the set up was chads latest setup post on here, but also runnin opt 3 steering rack. so i changed the rear fluid to 3k and now the car is alittle loose in the rear more than i like. i would like to go back to 5k in the rear but don't want the push. what else can i do to help the turn better?
You can try pink or red front springs, more anti squat, little bit of play in the front sway bar ball nuts, higher rear ride height , front shocks in the 3 hole on the tower.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Steering linkage

After building the buggy and measuring the left and right steering links as per the instructions (23.5mm), I noticed that when setting up the steering in my radio that you don't get the same amount of throw on each side even with a perfectly centered servo horn. I ended up having to shorten the length of the steering link on the right side (if you're looking at the car from the front) in order to get full throw on that side. Is this a normal occurence with the set-up or does the Option Two Steering Rack solve this issue?. I have the Option Three Steering Rack on the car currently. I don't know exactly how much shorter the length of the steering linkage is on the right side of the car now, but it is considerable. I am just a little anal about having perfect measurements so this is bugging me a little (OK a LOT). So I'm just trying to find out why this is and if this is a problem that is unique to me. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ok i'm having alittle issue with the way the car turns. when i first took the car out my diffs were 5-5-5 i really liked how planted the car felt but the car pushed pretty bad. the rest of the set up was chads latest setup post on here, but also runnin opt 3 steering rack. so i changed the rear fluid to 3k and now the car is alittle loose in the rear more than i like. i would like to go back to 5k in the rear but don't want the push. what else can i do to help the turn better?
I agree with what Chicky gave you. Also if 5k pushes, and 3k is a bit loose why not try 4k?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

can someone tell me what the steering option bars do. Wich one gives more or less akerman or steering. I looked all over the Serpent site and can't find what each bar does. The site only states its a option...Someone should tell them to add some descritption to some of the option parts. I also race the 966 on road and find the instructions don't have enough details. Don't get me wrong I love the products, they should tweek the instuctions in my opinion.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moth898
can someone tell me what the steering option bars do. Wich one gives more or less akerman or steering. I looked all over the Serpent site and can't find what each bar does. The site only states its a option...Someone should tell them to add some descritption to some of the option parts. I also race the 966 on road and find the instructions don't have enough details. Don't get me wrong I love the products, they should tweek the instuctions in my opinion.
Less Ackerman - More aggressive steering, harder to drive
More Ackerman - Less aggressive steering, easier to drive

option 1 - more
option 2 - just the right amount
option 3 - less
Old 08-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

What clutch / clutch shoes / clutch springs are most people using?

Stock Serpent Flywheel / Serpent or KHZ Shoes / Serpent Springs

or

Losi setup?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lknracer

or

Losi setup?
Stock Serpent clutch, med springs and carbon shoes.

I like it just the way it is.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jasoncb
Less Ackerman - More aggressive steering, harder to drive
More Ackerman - Less aggressive steering, easier to drive

option 1 - more
option 2 - just the right amount
option 3 - less
Thank you for taking the time to answer
Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lknracer

or

Losi setup?
I'm using serpent setup with 2 alum and 2 carbon with losi springs blk on the carbon and green on the alum. I had a bunch of losi springs. Serpent cb and Tko special bearings.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

the steering rack thing is goofy imo.
the two should have more offpower low speed steering but to me it just push
the 3 feel dialed
Old 08-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Serpent shoes
2-alum, xtra hard springs - 1.0mm
2-carbon, hard springs 0.9mm
Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

If you like 5 in the rear and it pushes then go to a stiffer rear sway bar or a thinner front and like above softer springs. Other things you can dotomlosen up the rear are move the hubs back so a longer wheelbase or more rebound in the rear springs. But now thy think about it go to a 4 up in the rear frot bloak and keep the 6 in the rear of the rear block. That little change made a huge difference in the push. All these tips were given to me by my bursitis mad scientist. He's a wiz when it comes to setup. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

Last edited by Frank L; 08-10-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone know where I could pick up an Option 2 Steering Rack?. Can't seem to find one anywhere, including Absolute Hobbyz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.