Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
air compressor help >

air compressor help

air compressor help

Old 11-28-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)
Default air compressor help

How much psi do you need on a air compressor to clean dirt and dry it after you wash it? How many gallon do I need? I'm looking to buy one under $150. Im not looking for a big one. A nice size to take to the track would be great. Any help would be great.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:02 AM
Tech Adept

A usefull pressure is about 80psi which does the trick you can go higher just watch you dont drive the dirt into the bearings. You will find most compressors work at about the same pressure 8 -10 bar or around 80 -120 psi roughly, depending on what you spend. The governing factor is the tank size & how much stored pressuer you have as at 80psi and above it will drain it quick, again the more you spend the bigger the tank & greater the HP to recharge it.
For home use mine is 2hp & 20ltr tank which is enough. Trackside for us in the UK we do not have mains power so most guys bring a petrol powered version but they cost around £500 save carting both a generator & compressor.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go with 5 or 6 gallons capacity. 100-135 psi.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

well those are two separate things, and have 2 different requirements IMO.

For blowing off your typical dirt/dust from the track does not require much. A friend has a small portable from Home Depot which works great for the track. It has enough pressure for small jobs, and fills up pretty quick.

For drying your car after a wash, that requires quit a bit more air. I dont know if this one would work so well. It only has a 1.5 gallon tank. The compressor would be struggling to keep up with the job. At home, I have a typical 5hp/25 gallon compressor for bigger jobs.

If your going to only have 1 compressor, I would say go with the first one from HD. It is the best portable I have used.

Just my .02
Old 11-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

heres the one i use: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

i use this at home to blow my car dry, and i can take it to the track to dust them off. works great for both.

although it does take extra time when drying the car. i have to wait for it to fill up every minute or so. but it still only takes me about 20 minutes total to clean my car. for how little it cost me compared to the one i really wanted its ok for me