Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
How long did it take you to learn how to tune a nitro truck right? >

How long did it take you to learn how to tune a nitro truck right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long did it take you to learn how to tune a nitro truck right?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default How long did it take you to learn how to tune a nitro truck right?

What are some tips you could give a rookie?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

still learning after 2 years. just take your time and make only small increments at a time, 1 hour increments.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i don't play often and its been a year since i got into mine and I'm still learning, although I'm better now than I used to be
Old 11-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

I consider myself not a rookie at tuning. But I just lost a motor at the end of break in. So maybe not.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have been racing for a couple years, and have gotten much better at it, but still no expert. It seems I can tune others cars much better than tuning my own!? go figure! I think it is because I can listen to their car easier, on the track.

All I can say is keep trying, reading, asking, and watching some of the pros. This past weekend, Adam Drake gave a friend a hand, and I was CLOSELY watching him. It took Adam about 1 minute, a couple few turns of the screws on the bench, and it was DONE! After chasing a tune all day, my friends truggy had tons of power, and came off the track at 230 after a 30 minute main! Makes me SICK!

After tuning it, Adam let him know what he had wrong, which was awsome knowledge!

Dont give up. Its an art form I think!
Old 11-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Took a gallon of gas and killed the stock engine, upgraded to an O.S. and am now on the second gallon and am finally getting the tuning down. Easier to kill a cheap engine while you get the hang of it, remembering some of the stuff I was doing wrong and not realizing is scary for my new O.S.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Q - How long did it take you to learn how to tune a nitro truck right?

A - about 3 engines or $700
Old 11-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

4 engines and about 2 yrs. I am more confident now but sometimes they still confuse the hell out of me. I learned from guys on here, the tuning bible at the top of the nitro off road page and guys at my local track that help me out. The first nitro engine I had was in a RTR kyosho ST Us sports and it took all of about less than one tank of fuel to blow the crank apart. No holes cut in the body and no tune whatsoever. I thought RTR was RTR, I guess not. The next engine lasted a little longer about 3 months, but still no idea tuned to run as fast as possible and blew the bearings and toasted the piston and rod, that one was an os .30. I run os speed engines now with pretty good results. I usually only mess with the high needle and never more than 1-2 hours. The best advice was stated above, make small 1 hour adjustments and run it for 2-3 mins after each adjustment to see how the adjustment works.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I really dont know how you guys blow your motors. You can never run to lean really, because if your to lean the motor wont run worth doo doo. You can never run to rich because the car wont run worth doo doo. When you have it right you should be able to drive all day long on full throttle and not hurt a thing. This is an example. When I was a kid I flew U- fly planes, kind of a extinct hobbie now because everything is R/C. I flew the big 60 FT. steel line planes. The smallest engine you would use was a .35. My favorites were McCoys and Stallions. Youd fire those babys up with a wood stick or your fingers if you were brave, lean that baby out to the max and take off and fly 5 to 10 mins depending on your tank size, land and do it again. I never had a crank rod or piston go in one of them. Also you might remeber we ran no exhaust pipes back then either. Which brings me to a conclusion of quality. Im talkin 35 yrs ago, I think things were just made better back then. Just my 2 cents..................
Old 11-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Still learning after 2 years.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Mate I have been tuning nitro motors for a year. A few times i think i have it pretty well sorted in my head, and then i have some dramas and cant get a good tune. Ive gone and searched for everything wrong other than the tune (pipe gaskets, fuel tube, backplate seal, glowplug, glo igniter etc) only to find that my tune needed a bit of tweaking...
Old 11-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Tech Adept

When i got my first nitro i tried to tune it all alone (hyper21 4ports).

took me all day, part of the night and by 8pm i could get to run ok. actually most things i know about engine tuning comes from the net.

that was 6years ago. today i'm definitly better at it but it still takes me a while to get it perfect