Tires/wheels Balancing??!!! >

Tires/wheels Balancing??!!!

Tires/wheels Balancing??!!!

Old 11-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Tires/wheels Balancing??!!!

hi guys,

i've been seeing alot of tire balancing tools from different manufacturer, now is it really worth it to balance an offroad tire?? will it hold the balance after some harsh driving on the track?? and is the change noticable between an unbalanced set of wheels and a balanced one??

cheers

Ali
Old 11-15-2009, 09:42 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

It made a noticeable difference in the air for me. My buggy was quite a bit more predictable as to what it was gonna do upon lift-off.

I just use a prop balancer and putty. I was skeptical about that stuff sticking, but it does just fine and the wheels stay reasonably balanced.

I don't think you'd notice a huge improvement with the new tires/foams out there now though. Those are fairly well balanced from the factory. I suppose you might notice a difference on blue groove maybe.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey thanks for the fast answer,
well, to be honest, we rarely run on blue grooved tracks, its almost loamy/dusty all the time. i run AKA and Proline, so i think there balance is good out of the bag.

now if i want to balance a wheel, how do i know how much and where to place the putty??

cheers

ALi
Old 11-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Tech Adept

From what I have read and seen dont know if it is right or wrong but your suppose to put the tire on a prop balancer or a the regular wheel balancer for the tire and spin it until it stops then look at the wheel and as if you was looking threw a hunting scope with cross hairs in it and from looking at the bottom of the wheel go to the top and place what you fill is the right amount putty and squish it out evenly reason being is that your placeing this on the inside of the wheel and if you have a gob hanging down its just goint to tear off cause its going to hit the top or bottom of your arm that your wheel mounts onto your buggy or truggy next you spin the wheel again and now its suppose to be right to left from each other. I ve only done this with one set and maybe wrong but that is how i done mine. But the amount of putty is a guess game.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

How to balance wheels.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 AM
Tech Addict

I have found after balancing hundreds of sets of combos ext.. AKA are darn near balanced from packet-On average.. Proline Have sometimes been shockingly un balanced. I balance mine, as it does nothing but good things.
=Car is more consistant
=More stable in the air
=Less stress on bearings ect-Becasue of the unbalnced tyres
=Smoother, and just overall a good thing to do.

Unbalanced whee/tyre cause stress on wheel bearings becasue of the uneven force.. specially noticable when being warmed up on starter box.. so It puts less stress on bearing's ect.. so they last longe-in theory.. and the above!

It does, take a while to do.. but To me balancing a set is pritt easy.. do them if your watching tv.. and not sit there staring doing them.. bordom kicks in sooner that way
Old 11-16-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

it is all the little things that add up tire balancing is just one
of them take care of the small things and the big ones will fall
in to place for me the hudy balancer works out great you can
do 1/8 1/10 and so on
Attached Thumbnails Tires/wheels Balancing??!!!-100_0742.jpg  
Old 11-16-2009, 06:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alan D.

there's more to it then what squirrel goes into.

Imo he does it wrong.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:22 AM
noR
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Care to expand on that pls? I've only got the squirrel video to go off of.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

to me it seems that while driving alot of dirt gets on the inside of the wheels, so wouldn't this make the tires unbalanced and the process of it pointless? Just what i have heard from other ppl, i have never ballanced a wheel, but i think this would have more efect on a loamy track than a blue grooved one. (not saying ballancing is dump i would just like some light shed on this, since i have never ballance a wheel this is just a guesse off what i have heard)
Old 11-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
there's more to it then what squirrel goes into.

Imo he does it wrong.
I agree.

Not only is the 0-90-180-270 thing not right, (because now the "90*" portion is heavy) the balancer he is using doesn't hold the wheel plumb and if you look at the tire/wheel combo the insert is not sitting correctly. (But for video time contraints he is just showing us method which stated is incorrect)

To get more technical, when using a balancer that has bearings, the bearings need to be large with many small balls to eliminate "cogging" and false readings.

I guess I will have to put my money where my mouth is (or keyboard and fingers) and add that to our list of videos for our site at Track Star.

"Stay Tuned!"

Last edited by Racecrafter; 11-16-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
I agree.

Not only is the 0-90-180-270 thing not right, (because now the "90*" portion is heavy) the balancer he is using doesn't hold the wheel plumb and if you look at the tire/wheel combo the insert is not sitting correctly. (But for video time contraints he is just showing us method which stated is incorrect)

To get more technical, when using a balancer that has bearings, the bearings need to be large with many small balls to eliminate "cogging" and false readings.

I guess I will have to put my money where my mouth is (or keyboard and fingers) and add that to our list of videos for our site at Track Star.

"Stay Tuned!"

out of all the balancer's ive tried over the year's...the dubro come's back as being THE most accurate.....you can balance rims on it if need be.....The Magnet balancer is better for rims but the dubro is sensitive enough to pick up on a outta wack rim.

the putty is also wrong for the rim combo he was using....blah there's Too many thing's wrong with that vid.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cary
it is all the little things that add up tire balancing is just one
of them take care of the small things and the big ones will fall
in to place for me the hudy balancer works out great you can
do 1/8 1/10 and so on
The Hudy one thats what I use and it makes my car and truck drive a lot more consistent. Think of it like having your 1:1 vehicle wheels out of balance, the thing shakes like crazy on the freeway, same thing with these little cars. When you balance the wheels and rev the engine on the starter box you will immediately notice a difference. Huge difference in the truggy and a little less in the buggy but still worth it.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I just mounted a set of proline badlands on jconcept rulux wheels and balanced them with a prop balancer, they came out great(not a whole lot of wheight), also bought a set of pre-mounted bow tie's on velocity wheels and balanced them as well, what a difference!! they definetly had very heavy spots, I had to add a lot of weight to get them balanced, I used the lead stick on weights.It looks like the weights will stay in place ok. Had I not balanced the bow ties I might as well been using square wheels
Old 11-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Lord

Like Lead Car weight's ? how many ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.