Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TC3- front diff and input shaft problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Addict

Default TC3- front diff and input shaft problem

Hello, I was just looking over my TC3 and noticed a problem! The front input shaft assembly is acting pretty rough on the front diff. I can turn the assembly about half way then it get's pretty tough to turn. It's not a smooth motion where I can spin it like the rear... Please give me some ideas on how to fix my problem.

Aaron
Old 02-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sounds like you have stripped the front bevel gears.
happened to me.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

sometimes what happens is when u tighten the diff case screws on the bottom tighten them in a cross pattern or the diff case will tweak.seems like it should happen all the time if its tweaked though. i loosened my screws on the bottom of the diff case and slowly and evenly tightened them down.and it spun perfectly. and another thing is check for rocks or burrs on the pinion ring gears and pinchined bearings in the diff cases.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:16 PM
Tech Addict

You need to narrow down where the problem is by methodically removing pieces of the tranny from the equation. I'd start by pulling the main drive shaft out. Then, pop off the front camber links at the shock tower so that the C-hubs can tilt out. This allows the axles to come out of the diff out-drives.

Now spin the input cup and see if you still have the lumpy problem.

- If you still do, then pull the top diff half off and remove the diff assembly and input shaft assembly. Spin each separately on their bearings to see if you have a blown bearing (if you race on carpet you may have a lump of carpet stuck in a bearing).

- If you don't, then you probably have a bad bearing(s) in a steering knuckle.

Anyways, that should give you a start.

-Rich
Old 02-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Well, The diff spins freely with just the diff in there...but when the input shaft goes on it, it is the rough feeling like I listed above. The input shaft spins freely when it's by itself too...

Aaron
Old 02-24-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Check what lee82gx and MarchTC3 brought up then.

Sounds like the gear mesh is off at certain spots. I'd make sure the bevel gear on the input shaft is on straight, too.

-Rich
Old 02-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

another thing to check is excess flashing sticking out from the side or the diff that hits the pin on the pinion gear. This would cause it to stick in certain spots when the pin hits the flashing. ill try to get a pic in if my cameras working to show u
Old 02-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Id lean towards a mesh problem. take a shim out and try it then another till you have just slight play in the gears. If that dont help spin them with the case open and make sure they are not bent.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:57 PM
Tech Addict

I don't think it has anything to do with the rear because it free. I checked it all and I'm 110% it's in the front. I will try your ideas out and let you know how they worked in the morning.

Thanks for all fast respnses!
Aaron
Old 02-24-2004, 09:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

You have a diff in the front, right?

If so, the ring gear(big one) could be off center on the diff, and when in the case have a "wobble". To solve this, I would replace the front ring gear, and make sure that the gear does not "wobble" when spun in the case. I had this problem on my parking lot TC3, and replacing that ring gear fixed the problem right away...
Old 02-25-2004, 04:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would also check the bearings on the diff and on the input shaft. they could be worn and causing the problem as well. And also the input shaft has shims on it. If the shaft is to tight in the diff case it will bind. Some time just putting the diff or the shaft in the case won't put the pressure on the bearing and it will feel fine. So make sure you put some pressure on the bearings when you test them. You can use a pencil for the shaft bearings. and a punch for the diff bearings. Hope that helps.