Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC >

Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC

Like Tree1Likes

Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC

Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

Originally Posted by Leroifittipalde
Blew a 17.5 motor this past weekend. Somehow the reverse and boost rpm settings in the MMP esc reset. Maybe this happened when I switced recievers but, all other settings remained the same. Motor temps were low when I ran on a smaller track approx 100x50'. This track was larger approx 170x80'.

MMP EsC Settings:
*brake/reverse-prop w rev lockout
(was set to prop w/o reverse before reset)
*brake- 50%
*drag brake-10%
*punch control -0
*start power- low
*sensor only mode
*C.H.E.A.T.- on

(was set to 8000-9200 before reset)

motor: speedpassion 17.5r timing turned fully to the right, 10 deg... i think.
Approx. 5.2-5.4 fdr (dont have the car/gears in front of me @the moment)

Confused as to why the motor overheated. Could the low boost rpm range on a large track cause the motor to overheat? Was the 5.2 gearing too high even with boost on?
*boost timing 50 deg
*rpm range 1900-2500
and you're still wondering why you blew the motor?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Born2Run
*boost timing 50 deg
*rpm range 1900-2500
and you're still wondering why you blew the motor?
Yeah ,Pretty new to boosted escs. Im looking for answers, not sarcasim. Thanks...
Old 01-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yeah ,Pretty new to boosted escs. Im looking for answers, not sarcasim. Thanks...
Some general considerations. Timing = heat. The more timing added to the motor either physical via the end bell on the motor or in the esc will add heat. It will also make a 17.5 really fast, but there are limitations.

After looking closely at your first post I would say yes the short RPM range is what caused the meltdown. As 50 degrees of timing was being applied the whole time to the motor. This generates tons of heat. I would also make your rpm band a little bigger. I don't have my castle software in front of me, but if the FDR was working for you and felt good on the in field I would just leave that alone and make the rpm range a little larger. Something like 6000 - 20K If you can get to there with the custom RPM settings. This allows the timing to be applied in smaller steps and will make the acceleration smooth while still giving you the punch out of the corners.

Also what version of the firmware are you running.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Addict

Sorry,i did want to be sarcastic but you said it was 8000-9200 before reset and after you set 1900-2500 you blew the motor.Isn't ovious? Your rpm range was very small and very low thats why you overheated the motor.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I just installed a MMP with a Speed Passion V2 17.5R in my TC4. I have not had time to hit the track yet but the tracks I will race on will be outdoor asphalt parking lot tracks with a 100' straightaway average with a technical infield. Do my settings look good as a base starting point?

Firmware: 1.26
Cheat: Enabled - 50*
RPM range: 5,500-20,500
Motor Endbell timing: Locked at 0* - Motor not adjustable
FDR: 5.82
Start mode: High
Brakes: 100% - Adjusted to 60% through transmitter
Drag Brake: 10%

I think that is all if I remember correctly. I have the Field link to change most settings at the track. The only thing I won't be able to change really is the RPM range for the cheat mode. Thanks in advance...

Last edited by mlight13; 01-20-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mlight13
I just installed a MMP with a Speed Passion V2 17.5R in my TC4. I have not had time to hit the track yet but the tracks I will race on will be outdoor asphalt parking lot tracks with a 100' straightaway average with a technical infield. Do my settings look good as a base starting point?

Firmware: 1.26
Cheat: Enabled - 50*
RPM range: 5,500-20,500
Motor Endbell timing: Locked at 0* - Motor not adjustable
FDR: 5.82
Start mode: High
Brakes: 100% - Adjusted to 60% through transmitter
Drag Brake: 10%

I think that is all if I remember correctly. I have the Field link to change most settings at the track. The only thing I won't be able to change really is the RPM range for the cheat mode. Thanks in advance...
This looks pretty good to me. I would just check your temps after 2 min to make sure your not over heating. For a straight over 100 feet I like to set the RPM start point a little higher. Mostly because the MMP does not have turbo, like the tekin so in order to get the most speed out of the motor requires a little more gearing. Which it looks like you have. With a Tekin I would be geared a little Higher on the FDR closer to 6.8.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by macdude
Some general considerations. Timing = heat. The more timing added to the motor either physical via the end bell on the motor or in the esc will add heat. It will also make a 17.5 really fast, but there are limitations.

After looking closely at your first post I would say yes the short RPM range is what caused the meltdown. As 50 degrees of timing was being applied the whole time to the motor. This generates tons of heat. I would also make your rpm band a little bigger. I don't have my castle software in front of me, but if the FDR was working for you and felt good on the in field I would just leave that alone and make the rpm range a little larger. Something like 6000 - 20K If you can get to there with the custom RPM settings. This allows the timing to be applied in smaller steps and will make the acceleration smooth while still giving you the punch out of the corners.

Also what version of the firmware are you running.
Currently using ver. 3.27. Ill likely upgrade to the latest version once I install another motor. I will try adjusting the custom rpm settings closer to the range you recommend and see how motor temps go.
Has anyone else had issues with spektrum recievers not binding properly to MMP escs?? Thought I read something in previouis pages but cant recall where. Im using an M8 w/ spektrum module.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Currently using ver. 3.27. Ill likely upgrade to the latest version once I install another motor. I will try adjusting the custom rpm settings closer to the range you recommend and see how motor temps go.
Has anyone else had issues with spektrum recievers not binding properly to MMP escs?? Thought I read something in previouis pages but cant recall where. Im using an M8 w/ spektrum module.
Originally the start up delay was too short and had problem with spectrum as far as I know the arming time default no longer is an issue.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:49 AM
Tech Addict

Any update in the future? Come on castle,wake up.Unless you lost your interest for MMP.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Any update in the future? Come on castle,wake up.Unless you lost your interest for MMP.

Really?? It is one of the best values in RC, its versatility cannot be matched over the many applications that it can be used on.

What exactly is it that Castle needs to WAKE UP on?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dan-o
Really?? It is one of the best values in RC, its versatility cannot be matched over the many applications that it can be used on.

What exactly is it that Castle needs to WAKE UP on?

Turbo function my friend.Just to be competitive with the others.I know is one of the best values in RC, but today is one step behind. At least on the touring races.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Turbo function my friend.Just to be competitive with the others.I know is one of the best values in RC, but today is one step behind. At least on the touring races.
How big a straight do you run on? Seems like from a timing value stand point they are only off by 10 maybe 15 degrees of the max other speed controls offer. While I see the application for a "turbo" type function. I don't readily see the need for it on a track that has smaller than 100' straight. I would also be interested to know how much more gear you need to achieve similar speeds down the straight. Like if you ran a FDR of 5.3 or 5.0 and an rpm range from 6000 to 30000 with 50* how close is your top speed vs the other "turbo" escs?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by macdude
How big a straight do you run on? Seems like from a timing value stand point they are only off by 10 maybe 15 degrees of the max other speed controls offer. While I see the application for a "turbo" type function. I don't readily see the need for it on a track that has smaller than 100' straight. I would also be interested to know how much more gear you need to achieve similar speeds down the straight. Like if you ran a FDR of 5.3 or 5.0 and an rpm range from 6000 to 30000 with 50* how close is your top speed vs the other "turbo" escs?
This is our track:

Straight is about 70m.
Last year with the 17.5 we were running FDR 4-4.2 but the track was smaller and the straight was about 60m.The guys with turbo (HW or SP)were just a litlle faster on straight.
This year we'll run 10.5T,the track will be bigger (marked red on the photo) but i'm affraid with the mambas we will not be competitive against the others.Sunday is our first race.I'll start with an FDR of 5.3 and rpm range 12.000-26.000 with 35' and i'll see .
Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I guess its how you look at it. In that case I guess Tekin is one step back because their unit can't do sensorless or 6s lipo without buying another speedo. Not every speedo will have every software upgrade people want. It is almost impossible to do that.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wyd
I guess its how you look at it. In that case I guess Tekin is one step back because their unit can't do sensorless or 6s lipo without buying another speedo. Not every speedo will have every software upgrade people want. It is almost impossible to do that.
While agree with your comment. Technically the Tekin does run sensorless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.