Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

size is fine I guess but they need to get rid of the cheap casing and solder tabs would be nice.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by macdude
Updated firmware would be nice. However I don't think it needs to be smaller. If they just added solder tabs I would happy. Every other ESC out right now is just as big if not bigger. With the exception of the Tekin. I would like a better case design, but other than that the size is fine. If they could shrink it to the tekin size then I think we would no longer be able to run it in 1/8 scale.
You never want them to shrink it to the size of the Tekin.... If you show any electronics guru the inside of your ESC they will laugh at the ratings that that ESC claims to have. They will also tell you that there is a certain failure rate expected from FETs of this size. Tekin goes mental with lots of smaller fets which just increase the failure rate and is probably why they have less punch than alot of other ESC's. Keep it big so it is strong and go for a smaller RX if you need space on your deck.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Recommended an FDR

Anybody know a good starting point fdr for a 13.5 in a touring car (tamiya ff03).

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
You never want them to shrink it to the size of the Tekin.... If you show any electronics guru the inside of your ESC they will laugh at the ratings that that ESC claims to have. They will also tell you that there is a certain failure rate expected from FETs of this size. Tekin goes mental with lots of smaller fets which just increase the failure rate and is probably why they have less punch than alot of other ESC's. Keep it big so it is strong and go for a smaller RX if you need space on your deck.
You are wrong with the lower punch.
My Tekin has about the same punch as my GM and LRP.
It is all in the setup.

Than that the speedo fails is also wrong. LRP is failing with there SXX ss.

Viper is comming even with a smaller speedo.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lyrragnus
Anybody know a good starting point fdr for a 13.5 in a touring car (tamiya ff03).

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Boost or no boost?
I've been advised around 4-4.5 depending on track for no boost.

Regarding the speedo, I'm still using mine fine. One is running mod TC (3.5t with a little boost), and the other is setup for 17.5 with max boost

Both perform faultlessly, and theres more than enough options to make the speedo smooth and torquey for both classes... have to say, anyone I've seen use a tekin in mod seems to struggle.

Ed
Old 01-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
Boost or no boost?
I've been advised around 4-4.5 depending on track for no boost.

Regarding the speedo, I'm still using mine fine. One is running mod TC (3.5t with a little boost), and the other is setup for 17.5 with max boost

Both perform faultlessly, and theres more than enough options to make the speedo smooth and torquey for both classes... have to say, anyone I've seen use a tekin in mod seems to struggle.

Ed
I run Tekin in mod and I have no problems with it.
I will race this Sunday again with it and it flies. I run in sensord mode.
My car is as fast as a 3,5T and I run a 4,5T and my motor temp stays way under the 180F.
Most drivers here will use a 5,5T or a 6,5T so I will be on the podium again.
The only speedo that has the same speeds as the Tekin in mod is the GM ad the moment so I hope that the GM driver that gave me a hard time last race, that he comes also.
We won with 1 lap on nr 3. I won 2 of the 3 finals from pole.
One mistake with a car that I was putting on a lap and I became second.

As the MMpro can run sensord mode in mod, use it. it is fast. set your RPM range wide and set it on a max timing of 30.
I use also a bit turbo but I don now if the Mamba has it also.
You will crush the LRP and SP drivers. You will not need the Turbo but it gives me that bit more on the indoor tracks.

I have seen several drivers with the MMpro but they were in the B and C finall in stock so I never drove against them. The only drivers that gave me a hard time in stock are the drivers were I drive mod with and one crazy Dutch guy. (He made me switch from GM to Tekin)
Old 01-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by toptek
I run Tekin in mod and I have no problems with it.
I will race this Sunday again with it and it flies. I run in sensord mode.
My car is as fast as a 3,5T and I run a 4,5T and my motor temp stays way under the 180F.
Most drivers here will use a 5,5T or a 6,5T so I will be on the podium again.
The only speedo that has the same speeds as the Tekin in mod is the GM ad the moment so I hope that the GM driver that gave me a hard time last race, that he comes also.
We won with 1 lap on nr 3. I won 2 of the 3 finals from pole.
One mistake with a car that I was putting on a lap and I became second.

As the MMpro can run sensord mode in mod, use it. it is fast. set your RPM range wide and set it on a max timing of 30.
I use also a bit turbo but I don now if the Mamba has it also.
You will crush the LRP and SP drivers. You will not need the Turbo but it gives me that bit more on the indoor tracks.

I have seen several drivers with the MMpro but they were in the B and C finall in stock so I never drove against them. The only drivers that gave me a hard time in stock are the drivers were I drive mod with and one crazy Dutch guy. (He made me switch from GM to Tekin)
Areyou running tekin or mmp and if your running mmp what setting are your using to run with the tekins in the stock boost class
Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (94%+)

any one have a good boosted 13.5 setup and fdr?
Old 01-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by black_knight
Areyou running tekin or mmp and if your running mmp what setting are your using to run with the tekins in the stock boost class
No I run Tekin.
Never used the MMP but I talked with the MMP drivers about there setup.
They used about the the same Boost settings as I use with the Tekin.
I had to prepair my car for the A finall as the other driver was racing.
The speedo was fast. The only problem was the driver.
I find the speedo looks like a cheap toy but on the track that was gone.

I use with my Tekin for mod this setup.
Boost 30
Turbo 2
Turbo delay 0,2
Turbo ramp 1
start rpm ~9000
End RPM 22000
Motor lrp x11 4,5T timing not changed.
It is fast.

In stock I use several setups but most with a start setup from 6000 and higher to 10000 with my 10,5T. But it depends on the track.
Also changed from a narrow RPM range to 8000+ with my 13,5 and 9000+ with my 10,5T.
I use the Turbo ad the start. mostly a delay of 0 to 0,25.

This Sunday I have a race and I think that the MMP drivers will also come to my club. I invited a lot of people to get a bigger field.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tcb22185
any one have a good boosted 13.5 setup and fdr?
I would try the following;
Drag brake; 0%
Brake Amount; 100%
Throttle dead band; Smallest (0.0025ms)
Start Power; Med
Motor timing; Stock, maybe retard a little depending on motor (X12 for example, full -10°)
CHEAT timing; 45 - 50°
Start RPM; 10,000
End RPM; Tricky, as I don't have the software to hand, but don't be afraid to widen it out. Personally, having a wide rpm range makes the boost kick a lot smoother, runs the motor cooler, and isn't any slower... As an example, with 10.5t used 15 -> 31,000 (50° boost).. with the 3.5t using 25 -> 43,000 (14° of boost)
FDR: 6.5ish (track dependent)
Torque Control: Between 10 (low traction) and 15 (very high traction) seems to work well. Again, smoother power delivery, and cooler motor..

Regarding the Tekin in Mod, sorry, but I disagree... in the UK nationals, the most popular speedo in modified is the GM by far. Tekin doens't even get a look in, as simply every time I've seen one run (and bare in mind boost is being used in mod too), it couldn't last 5mins without thermalling. And this was with heatsinks and fans on the speedo too. As far as I'm concerned, the Tekin is a great Stock speedo, but not suitable for modified running. How many do you see in mod cars at the ETS race etc?

The Mamba on the other hand has been rock solid in both 10.5 and Mod, so very happy with the speedo. Seems to easily cope with the rigours being thrown at it in both classes.

Plus, with the de-cased version I have in my car, always gets some questions as to what actually the speedo is (even though it still has a Mamba sticker on it... ), and seems to suprise a few people when I say Castle

HiH
Ed
Old 01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey TryHard I wouldn't bother trying to convince a Tekin user that other ESC's are better. The only way they understand is when you show up at the local track and lap them. Its silly to think an ESC will win you a race in mod.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Guyz
Does someone have a good setup in Cheat mode for a 17.5 Orca RX2 motor on a medium size track ?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Hey TryHard I wouldn't bother trying to convince a Tekin user that other ESC's are better. The only way they understand is when you show up at the local track and lap them. Its silly to think an ESC will win you a race in mod.
I use Tekin, GM and LRP.
The only speedo that is ready for the trash is is the LRP.
I love my Tekin because it is easier to set it up right.

As the Mamba is a good speedo and will make me faster, than I will buy it.
Till now the Tekin and the GM are my 2 fastest speedo's that I have ad the moment.
I tried the BD and the SP speedo's but they were slower than the GM and Tekin.
Mamba I have never tried so as I get the change I will try it to see how it goes.

TryHard, I drove GM in mod and noow I use the Tekin. I now them both and I was with both speedo's fast.
I changed to GM when they were faster but that was before I new that the 212 was there. I was still using the 203 ad that time. I tried the Tekin and I didn't use extra cooling. No problems with the temp and after some testing I got the same laptimes as with my GM.

I use now the Tekin because than I don't have to change the speedo in the car.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Unfortunately my MMp has stopped working, the sensored mode has shut down as it will only work in sensorless mode now. checked different motors with it, new sensor leads and it looks like the sensored side is shot. So i have had to switch to my old speedo..... a hobbywing
to my surprise with the new software in stock class not even the tekins can get close to me. they are quicker down the straight by a small margin but i have huge rip in the infield compared to any of the others. with some more playing it will be quicker down the straight too. i know this is a mmp thread so i am in no way being down on the mmp but after nearly a year of running it i never found the perfect set up. super strong they say but i think i killed it in an endurance race, 2.5 hours and over 500 laps with only stopping to change the lipo. if anyone knows what might be wrong i'd like to have it back working as my spare or i might put it in another car and run mod class too.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Blew a 17.5 motor this past weekend. Somehow the reverse and boost rpm settings in the MMP esc reset. Maybe this happened when I switced recievers but, all other settings remained the same. Motor temps were low when I ran on a smaller track approx 100x50'. This track was larger approx 170x80'.

MMP EsC Settings:
*brake/reverse-prop w rev lockout
(was set to prop w/o reverse before reset)
*brake- 50%
*drag brake-10%
*punch control -0
*start power- low
*sensor only mode
*C.H.E.A.T.- on
*boost timing 50 deg
*rpm range 1900-2500
(was set to 8000-9200 before reset)

motor: speedpassion 17.5r timing turned fully to the right, 10 deg... i think.
Approx. 5.2-5.4 fdr (dont have the car/gears in front of me @the moment)

Confused as to why the motor overheated. Could the low boost rpm range on a large track cause the motor to overheat? Was the 5.2 gearing too high even with boost on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.