Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I still Love mine on stock class It's just way too much for MOD racing.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Patrick
I think most of the people complaining are in the uk like myself.The problems seem to arise because our prostock class is 10.5.So I can understand how this must be a great speedo in the usa running 17.5 where the punch would be much more controllable.I have to admit it is a bit of an animal running 10.5,I have even stripped drive belts with it! For updated software I would like to see a turbo (top end timing)feature,timing ramp rate so that we could fine tune the rate of boost and improved braking.I find the brakes are inconsistant in that they will lock the car up at low speeds but at high speeds they become weak.On a positive note I think you have a potentially great speedo here,it just needs a few tweaks.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pdelcast
JUST BECAUSE I DON'T POST EVERY DAY, doesn't mean I don't read this forum at least once a day. (I'm in China right now, and still reading the forums!!)

Sheesh...

For those using 100% punch control -- wtf are you thinking? That would be extremely undrivable.

We give you a couple ways to control your throttle -- 1. throttle curves (dial in a little expo in the curve maybe??) 2. Punch control (but don't just go from 0% to 100% and think it will be more drivable! Use some sense and dial it in a little at a time!)

Between those two, you should be able to customize your drivability completely -- All speedos use the same methods -- throttle curves (some are preset -- our is 100% customizable) and throttle response control (we call it "punch control".)

Now, if you want to see something different -- let me know WHAT you want to see. Saying something like "This speedo is undrivable at 100% punch control" is just saying "I don't know how to dial in a speed control"

And yes, we are continuously working on new software -- so if you want something -- ASK FOR IT, BE SPECIFIC, and if it's an bug or other specific bad behavior, tell us how to recreate it. Don't just bitch -- that doesn't help solve the issue.

Done ranting...

Patrick
You mean you've read these forums once a day and not responded to any of the queries in the last few months. I don't think 'WTF were you thinking' is the kind of customer service I want. I dont think anyone has tried 100%, because theres a lag at 30%.

My days are over with this. Moving on..............
Old 05-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by maxg123456
You mean you've read these forums once a day and not responded to any of the queries in the last few months. I don't think 'WTF were you thinking' is the kind of customer service I want. I dont think anyone has tried 100%, because theres a lag at 30%.

My days are over with this. Moving on..............
I'm not tech support, -- so I don't normally comment in this forum. I do run the company, and manage engineering. So I watch, note what people are having issues with, and manage engineering priorities for new features, etc.

Tech support is there to answer questions, and are available by phone and email. They are there to answer your questions and queries, and do a much better job of it than I could.

If you want to ask me questions directly, feel free -- but I might not have time to answer every question.

If you have questions that need answers from Castle, call or email tech support and ask them. Posting to this forum may or may not get a answer. Calling or emailing tech support will ALWAYS get an answer.

We try to also give support on forums when we can. But you shouldn't depend on it.

And again -- complaining without giving details about the complaint is pointless. We can't make things better if you don't give any details about why you are having a problem, and how to recreate the problem.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Growler
Hi Patrick
I think most of the people complaining are in the uk like myself.The problems seem to arise because our prostock class is 10.5.So I can understand how this must be a great speedo in the usa running 17.5 where the punch would be much more controllable.I have to admit it is a bit of an animal running 10.5,I have even stripped drive belts with it! For updated software I would like to see a turbo (top end timing)feature,timing ramp rate so that we could fine tune the rate of boost and improved braking.I find the brakes are inconsistant in that they will lock the car up at low speeds but at high speeds they become weak.On a positive note I think you have a potentially great speedo here,it just needs a few tweaks.
Timing boost (turbo) is available (CHEAT mode.) -- There is also a timing ramp available (that's the RPM range -- timing boost happens linearly across the RPM range for CHEAT.)
We have been working on making the timing ramp even more customizable, hopefully in a near-future release.

The brake issue is tough -- different motors brake differently. If we change braking to make a particular motor brake more linearly, we might make another motor much worse... It's possible that we could create some profiles that would vary braking by RPM on different motors. I'll talk to the software guys about it.

Thanx!

Patrick
Old 05-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Timing boost (turbo) is available (CHEAT mode.) -- There is also a timing ramp available (that's the RPM range -- timing boost happens linearly across the RPM range for CHEAT.)
We have been working on making the timing ramp even more customizable, hopefully in a near-future release.
A few months back you mentioned a different firmware that you are working on that gives a different time ramp to be similar to the Tekins, and there has been no further information put forward about this. The Tekins, and now the Hobbywing / Speed passion speedo's already having timing advance, rpm ramp, as well as an additional turbo for top end with a ramp delay. Unfortunately the HW422 software is faster than the MMP's on topend, and no matter what rpm range, CHEAT or gearing the MMP's cannot match it. This is not only the HW422, but even the LRP sxx ss is quicker than the MMP's now, esp with the mk3 firmware it has.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

I'm not tech support, -- so I don't normally comment in this forum. I do run the company, and manage engineering. So I watch, note what people are having issues with, and manage engineering priorities for new features, etc.

Tech support is there to answer questions, and are available by phone and email. They are there to answer your questions and queries, and do a much better job of it than I could.

If you want to ask me questions directly, feel free -- but I might not have time to answer every question.

If you have questions that need answers from Castle, call or email tech support and ask them. Posting to this forum may or may not get a answer. Calling or emailing tech support will ALWAYS get an answer.

We try to also give support on forums when we can. But you shouldn't depend on it.

And again -- complaining without giving details about the complaint is pointless. We can't make things better if you don't give any details about why you are having a problem, and how to recreate the problem.
I've sent emails to your team a month ago. I got the responses and was happy with the return emails. I tried everything I was given and even posted this back then. The issues I still have weren't cured by this, hense why I posted for help on here, as fellow Mamba drivers and maybe the support team might help further.

I don't want to drag this on. I'm impatient, like many others, as I wanted to make use of having more power with drivability by having better firmware. It doesn't matter now, as i've decided to change to something different.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MoonTrap
A few months back you mentioned a different firmware that you are working on that gives a different time ramp to be similar to the Tekins, and there has been no further information put forward about this. The Tekins, and now the Hobbywing / Speed passion speedo's already having timing advance, rpm ramp, as well as an additional turbo for top end with a ramp delay. Unfortunately the HW422 software is faster than the MMP's on topend, and no matter what rpm range, CHEAT or gearing the MMP's cannot match it. This is not only the HW422, but even the LRP sxx ss is quicker than the MMP's now, esp with the mk3 firmware it has.
Well, it's easy to make a speedo quicker, at the expense of motor heat.
Tekin and LRP's timing advance is very similar to our CHEAT mode. I haven't examined the HW software yet, but it's probably just even more timing than we allow in CHEAT mode.

If the additional timing is being used successfully without damaging the motors, it will be trivial for us to add additional timing in CHEAT mode.

Nobody is doing any "magic" -- it's just that the poor design of the ROAR motor allows timing tricks to make things faster. Yesterday we were fastest, today somebody else allows a bit more timing and is even faster, tomorrow we'll be faster again, etc. etc. etc.
The only one who loses is the racer who has to keep buying new equipment to stay competitive.

It would be nice if ROAR would step in and stop this stupidity. I've made many many suggestions to ROAR in the past on how to fix this problem. But to date they haven't come up with anything -- even the new "no timing boost" software doesn't prevent someone from just clocking the sensors on the motor to give huge timing advance.

Patrick
Old 05-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Tech Adept

Can you tell us when castle will have something new for the racers as regards to a new firmware?, are there any beta software you'd be willing to let us test, like other manufacturers are releasing?.. If no one is doing any "magic" , then i wonder why the LRP SXX SS and the HW422 is quicker than the MMP at present. I would really like to be on par with those 2 speedo's without having to lay more $$ to buy one of them, but i will have no choice if castle cannot offer us any real solution.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Where do you find this CHEAT mode? I cant see it anywhere on my software
Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Can you tell us when castle will have something new for the racers as regards to a new firmware?, are there any beta software you'd be willing to let us test, like other manufacturers are releasing?.. If no one is doing any "magic" , then i wonder why the LRP SXX SS and the HW422 is quicker than the MMP at present. I would really like to be on par with those 2 speedo's without having to lay more $$ to buy one of them, but i will have no choice if castle cannot offer us any real solution.
If you read my post closely, you'd see why the LRP and HW is faster -- they just allow more timing in the software. We limit the maximum timing to prevent motor damage -- because the motors run hotter and hotter (less efficient) with more timing. It's just a matter of how much timing the software allows.

We were worried that if we allowed too much timing, people would start destroying motors regularly. So we limited the maximum timing the software would allow in CHEAT mode.

It's nothing magic-- just different software allowing more or less timing advance.

AND this is why I keep trying to get ROAR involved. What will happen is that the ESC manufacturers will keep creating faster and faster ESCs (there are several more tricks possible with the ROAR motor to make it even faster than what ESC manufacturers are doing now...) and the motors will keep running hotter and hotter -- until the point where people are routinely destroying motors to get the "fastest" possible setup. We have been trying to get ROAR involved to limit the ESC timing for stock racing to bring things back in line -OR- change the motor type and design to a motor design that won't benefit so much from the timing tricks ESC software can do.

It's silly to keep competing for the "fastest" stock setup -- and it's silly for stock to be as fast as it is. Stock racing is SUPPOSED to be a low power, low speed class. Let's leave the really high power setups for modified.

It's also ridiculous to expect the racers to have to buy a new ESC every few months to stay competitive. ROAR needs to step up and do something about the situation. And as manufacturers, we need to help ROAR to establish rules that allow for sanity in the racing community.

Patrick
Old 05-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

We are in the process of testing new software that gives extreme flexibility to the timing tweaks -- and has a few things the other ESC manufacturer's haven't seen yet.

We don't copy the competition -- we do things better. We were fastest for a while, then everybody copied what we were doing, and then allowed for even more timing advance than we did. We'll release the next version of software, and then we'll be fastest again -- until someone else figures out how we are making things faster -- and then they'll release something as good or slightly faster. Then maybe someone else will figure out how to make things faster again (there are LOTS of possible tricks -- ) and then everyone else would have to follow suit...

This is the ESC "arms race" that ROAR needs to fix -- it doesn't help the racers that "brand X" is fastest only for a few weeks, then "brand Y" is fastest for a few weeks... etc... etc.. etc... It just hurts racing, and the racers.

Patrick
Old 05-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I totally agree, Stock is way to fast. Even the middle speed class 13.5 is MOD now. The timing stuff is cool but it is making it hard for the budget racer to keep up. Which may be why Off-road is taking off so much lately. You can only lay down so much power on dirt before it becomes a wash, plus their are far fewer classes.

I guess the one saving grace is companies like Castle have created programmable ESC so each time a new FW version is released you don't have to buy a new ESC like LRP.

Looking forward to new software, thanks for letting use know something is coming soon.

Do have a release date yet for the MMP ver2?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
Do have a release date yet for the MMP ver2?
Hmmm, there isn't a MMP V2 on the horizon yet. There are other Mamba line controllers in R&D right now, but not an MMP V2.

We are in the process of improving some of the hardware on the MMP -- but not enough of a change to call it a "V2"

Patrick
Old 05-10-2010, 02:18 AM
Tech Adept

We are in the process of testing new software that gives extreme flexibility to the timing tweaks -- and has a few things the other ESC manufacturer's haven't seen yet.

We don't copy the competition -- we do things better. We were fastest for a while, then everybody copied what we were doing, and then allowed for even more timing advance than we did. We'll release the next version of software, and then we'll be fastest again -- until someone else figures out how we are making things faster -- and then they'll release something as good or slightly faster. Then maybe someone else will figure out how to make things faster again (there are LOTS of possible tricks -- ) and then everyone else would have to follow suit...

This is the ESC "arms race" that ROAR needs to fix -- it doesn't help the racers that "brand X" is fastest only for a few weeks, then "brand Y" is fastest for a few weeks... etc... etc.. etc... It just hurts racing, and the racers.

Patrick
That is good to know, dont get me wrong i love the castle, but as a racer, im impatient, and want the speed now to keep up.. Any idea when this software will become available?, i wouldnt mind beta testing it even

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.