Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

I'm off to buy one of these end of this week. The price/performance seems too good to miss. Just to verify, i'm going to run a Novak 10.5ss with timing in the stock position to start with. I'm also thinking of the Speed Passion 3.0 for future use, as its mega in other fully tunable escs. Anyone tried a Trinity Duo 2, as thats supposed to be good also? Or not?

Can you guys give me a decent idea where to start in the start timing of the esc. (I only will want cheat mode very high, as its the fastest setting lol) I was thinking around 4500 start timing, as its a medium sized indoor carpet layout and Ben and Ed on here have given me the idea this is the point where they run. The reason I ask is that I need a general good setting for indoors mainly for 10.5, (occasionally 13.5) and I dont have a laptop to bring to the track with me all the time.

Also, how good is the punch control on this esc? - I don't like to be held back in the power stakes, but is 10-20% a nice gentle help to stabilize the car out of hairpins, or is it a strange lag? - In other words, can it really benefit if the car is too punchy?

Last edited by maxg123456; 03-10-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Max

This speedo is awesome, much faster than the previous speedo's i was using (Team Wave RB , SP GT2). And its extremely punchy. I have the punch control at 0, start power high, and at first it didnt seem that punchy, until i played with the throttle curve, and man it brings a smile to ones face . You wont be disappointed with this speedo price is very good, and a speedo that can do both spec racing and mod in one package for far cheaper than others lower spec speedo's
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MoonTrap
Hi Max

This speedo is awesome, much faster than the previous speedo's i was using (Team Wave RB , SP GT2). And its extremely punchy. I have the punch control at 0, start power high, and at first it didnt seem that punchy, until i played with the throttle curve, and man it brings a smile to ones face . You wont be disappointed with this speedo price is very good, and a speedo that can do both spec racing and mod in one package for far cheaper than others lower spec speedo's
Thanks for the advice Moontrap. Its funny that you found it didnt have that much punch at first. Theres some on here that have said it has almost too much lol.

What settings do you use, or is this with modified motors that you're talking about? Are you using cheat mode?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Is anyone removing the fans on there speedo's?, i run 13.5 and even on really hot days, i dont notice the fan on after a race, unless it comes on during?, just wondered if the fan is needed for spec classes like 10.5 and up?, would make mounting a bit easier with the fan off
I run no fan, 10.5 and higher. I don't remember the temp the fan is suppose to come on but I believe its like 160 or 170F. I have never seen the controller over 110. I even have the heat sink cut down.

I am also running this controller in an 1/8 scale car with 4S lipo and a Tekin 1900kv motor. I leave the fan on that one.

So far for touring I have not needed the fan.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Anyone of you guys play with the throtle Curve? I like mine linear...

I'm thinking of playing with it maybe make it more aggresive on start...
Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Im running the v3.251 with the v1.24(beta) firmware.Do i have to upgrade the firmware to v1.25(beta)?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yap....

Version Number 1.25

- Fixed stick programming of brushed modes
- Fixed max drag brake not working
- Fixed punch control stick programming comming up invalid value
- Fixed power limited takeoffs with very high roll-out vehicles in sensored mode

Originally Posted by Born2Run
Im running the v3.251 with the v1.24(beta) firmware.Do i have to upgrade the firmware to v1.25(beta)?
Old 03-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default Anyone?!?!?!

I know its the on-road thread, but a lot of you racers have the MMP down.

Any good starting MMP set-ups for Short Course Truck 17.5? I'm running a Novak Ballistic and the track is pretty big.

Joe Ford - Will the new MMPs have solder posts to easily change power wires?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Joe Ford
I already did. See post #726

@ Davin....Forgot one thing. If you have the Castle Link plug in and make sure you have the latest software on the controller (v1.25). If you don't show that version available download the latest version of software from our website, and then download the software to the ESC. After you update the ESC software make sure you re-calibrate the ESC to your radio. Let me know what you find out after trying this and the things from post #726.

Thanks for the replies Joe. I think I might have found the problem. The video that I posted was of my 17.5 sedan . I just bought another MMP this weekend to replace the Speed Passion that I had in my 21.5 VTA car and was having the same problem. I think the problem is this, The Novak Ballistic motors are shipped with 30 degrees of mechanical timing. When the endbell is at the neutral mark it is already at 30 degrees. When setting the MMP to 50 degrees in C.H.E.A.T. mode you are in essence trying to pull 80 degrees of timing. Which I assume would cause almost somewhat of a electrical misfire. With that said I backed the motor down to 5 degrees on the endbell But I am still only able to go about 30 degrees on the MMP before this stuttering problem occurs. In a perfect world one would think that 35 degrees of timing would be all you need. But when 4 other guys at your track are running 50 in a spec class it makes it kinda hard to keep up on the straights.

At this point Im thinking the MMP and Ballistic motor are not a good combo. Im going to try putting my old 17.5 ss motor in to see if I have the same issues. I will let you know the results as soon I do. If you have anymore feedback for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Davin
Old 03-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Solder Posts

Does anyone know where I can get some solder post for the board. I have been trying to find some so that I can make wire replacement easier. Someone told me that speed passion sells them but I can't seem to find these. I would really just like to buy the ones Castles is putting on the Mamba 1Cell.

Has anyone heard if the Mamba pro that is smaller is coming with solder posts?

Thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maxg123456
Thanks for the advice Moontrap. Its funny that you found it didnt have that much punch at first. Theres some on here that have said it has almost too much lol.

What settings do you use, or is this with modified motors that you're talking about? Are you using cheat mode?

This is with 13.5 and 17.5 , the speedo has alot of punch, i just play with the throttle curve to get it how i like it , i like it punchier than some.

My Settings i use are mainly

Cheat Mode : 45 - 50
Rpm : 4000ish - 8500ish
FDR : 5.3 (for 17.5) and 5.9 (for 13.5)
Motors are SP v3 , motor temp 140F
Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davin
Thanks for the replies Joe. I think I might have found the problem. The video that I posted was of my 17.5 sedan . I just bought another MMP this weekend to replace the Speed Passion that I had in my 21.5 VTA car and was having the same problem. I think the problem is this, The Novak Ballistic motors are shipped with 30 degrees of mechanical timing. When the endbell is at the neutral mark it is already at 30 degrees. When setting the MMP to 50 degrees in C.H.E.A.T. mode you are in essence trying to pull 80 degrees of timing. Which I assume would cause almost somewhat of a electrical misfire. With that said I backed the motor down to 5 degrees on the endbell But I am still only able to go about 30 degrees on the MMP before this stuttering problem occurs. In a perfect world one would think that 35 degrees of timing would be all you need. But when 4 other guys at your track are running 50 in a spec class it makes it kinda hard to keep up on the straights.

At this point Im thinking the MMP and Ballistic motor are not a good combo. Im going to try putting my old 17.5 ss motor in to see if I have the same issues. I will let you know the results as soon I do. If you have anymore feedback for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Davin
I have been having the stuttering problem like urs. I tried different motors and still the same problem. Then my bro asked what i set for my voltage cut-off. I had it at 3.4 per cell. So, I dropped to 3.0V. Problem solved.

So you might wanna give your voltage cut-off a check and see it helps.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Last week I tested with some offroad with my MMP and Novak Ballistic 17.5. I had no problems running in cheat mode with 50 degrees of timing. I also ran touring with the MMP and the same 17.5 with 50 degrees of timing in Cheat mode and no problems with it either. Both worked fine for me.

Don't mean something isn't right but I ran that motor combo and it works great. Just stupid fast in offroad and just more rediculious in touring.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Adept

This is with 13.5 and 17.5 , the speedo has alot of punch, i just play with the throttle curve to get it how i like it , i like it punchier than some.

My Settings i use are mainly

Cheat Mode : 45 - 50
Rpm : 4000ish - 8500ish
FDR : 5.3 (for 17.5) and 5.9 (for 13.5)
Motors are SP v3 , motor temp 140F
Great! - Thanks once again. I am going to start with 4000 start rpm with 50 degrees cheat mode, as I don't have a laptop at hand (at the race track). 4000-4500 start seems a good starting point from most people on here.

The only thing i'll hold back a bit on, is the motor timing on my Novak 10.5ss, so I don't detonate it straight away!
Someone on here already has run this combo and it is very fast.

The Speed passion 3.0 I think i'll get for the 13.5 class, as I hear nothing but praise with this motor.

Moontrap, do you run indoors? - Do you run up against Tekin RS, LRP SXX stock etc? - How is it comparing?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Max, Will be at Maritime tonight and carpet wars so if you to need to change setup. Darren has netbook now so you should not have a problem if you need setup changes at Maritime. Join the Mamba Club. At maritime Tuesday night and Vince’s SXX Speedo went up in SMOKE . So I think you might have made the right choice .
Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.