Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro Sensored ESC

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
It'll work with any motor, as basically that's not a requirement for the calculation. The main point is to put in your gearing (which is generally a range for a motor type) and tyre size, and it'll churn out the speed.

It basically works that a 17.5 will run a much lower FDR than a 10.5, so that kinda takes account the motor differences

HiH
Ed
I thought that but didn't want to make any assumptions this is a really good tool thanks
Old 02-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Tech Rookie

anyone have a good base line for the snowbirds in the 17.5 class?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just got my MMP today and oh my god that thing is huge!!!
Its not a major thing since it is going in my XXX-T but I was surprised by its size!!!

I have read through several of the pages in this thread and saw several people having issues getting the unit into the programming mode when using a DSM radio.

I tried to calibrate my MMP with a Nomadio Sensor and a cheap Losi/Spektrum 2.4 ghz radio. Neither radio would could get the MMP to enter the programming or calibration mode. After a little bit of messing around with the radios I finally found a way to get into the programming mode with both radio.

The way I got my radios to enter the calibration and programming mode was to adjust the throttle trim on the radio until I got the ESC to engage the motor, going forwards. After the wheels started spin I backed the trim off until the wheels stopped. After adjusting the trim I turned the ESC off and remove the connection from the ESC to my reciever and allowed it to set for roughly 30 seconds to ensure it was fully discharged. I then reconnected the ESC to my reciever and followed the Castle Directions to enter the programming and calibration modes.

By adjusting the trim I was able to enter both modes with no problems.
After going through the intial calibration I backed the trim down a couple steps and went through the calibration again. I repeated this process a couple times until all my throttle settings were back at zero.

After all the above was done I was able to enter the programming or calibration mode with no issues.

I am not sure why adjusting the trim helped but I bet I spent at least 30 minutes trying to get into the program mode with both radios and as soon as I adjusted the trim on my Nomadio I got right into the program mode! After getting in with the Sensor I tried the same thing with the Losi/Spektrum and it went right in as well so this maybe a simple work around for those that havent upgraded the firmware yet, I know I havent since the MMP doesnt come with a castle link as advertised Got mine on order now I just have to wait for it to show up.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey guys just instaled my new mmp in my new photon i just bult for 17.5 tc ,i instaled a trinity nemisis 17.5 brushless with a spectrum pro 3500 reciever.here's my problem: i wired up abc wires brand new sensor wire,actually every thing was new=turned on in bind mode&binded reciever no problem there checked steering throw///then i squeesed the trigger/mind you with no pinion instaled yet, and it made a cogging noise then stoped rotating,i hit the trigger again&nothing,just as i was letting of the trigger a little smoke came from eather the mmp or the motor,coudn't tell witch!!i quickily turned off the switch,checked all wires again to make sure all was connected correctly&tryed it again same result but with out any smoke but this time i noticed the motor was really warm,i turned off/unpluged the sensor wire&turned back on, now motor rotates fine,throttle speed seems ok still with no pinion attached,i havent tryed a different motor or sensor wire yet,gonna try that tomorrow,any idea what might be going on??are there any other things i can check?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys, greetings from Belgium. I just bought myself a MMP and was wondering if someone could help me with the best set-up. I run it a 1/10 touring with a LRP x 12 engine- stock 10.5, gear-ratio is 6.5. I am really looking forward of testing it on the track.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Setups

I race TC 10.5 and 13.5 in the UK, was really impressed with MMP first run even though I was down 2-3 laps to what I usually do at same track. The first thing I notice was how much punch the MMP had (like a 69 V8 Pontiac fire bird I use to have) a lot more than my Nosram SPX stock spec. It was making me over shoot some corners ( my fault because I was setting the rpm wrong) next time I race on a small indoor track I will turn cheat mode off and only use it on a larger tracks, it has more power than my SPX speedo with out it. I think with the right setting, Cheat mode RPM start@end, punch control, motor timing, FDR e.c.t, I think it will more than match the new LRP SXX just need to tame it so I can use the power it gives you. I am lucky my indoor club (Maritime raceway UK) have practise days; I will spend a day trying different setups.
Like to see some more setups for 10.5 @ 13.5 TC posted to see what people are using to make this great Speedo even better.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bodymot
I race TC 10.5 and 13.5 in the UK, was really impressed with MMP first run even though I was down 2-3 laps to what I usually do at same track. The first thing I notice was how much punch the MMP had (like a 69 V8 Pontiac fire bird I use to have) a lot more than my Nosram SPX stock spec. It was making me over shoot some corners ( my fault because I was setting the rpm wrong) next time I race on a small indoor track I will turn cheat mode off and only use it on a larger tracks, it has more power than my SPX speedo with out it. I think with the right setting, Cheat mode RPM start@end, punch control, motor timing, FDR e.c.t, I think it will more than match the new LRP SXX just need to tame it so I can use the power it gives you. I am lucky my indoor club (Maritime raceway UK) have practise days; I will spend a day trying different setups.
Like to see some more setups for 10.5 @ 13.5 TC posted to see what people are using to make this great Speedo even better.
Hey bodymot,

If your around for the next carpet wars, pop over too the Horizon Hobby boys, and we'll be happy to have a chat about the settings I'm working a bit on getting an even better TC setup at the moment... next practise day at Maritime I'll be doing the same again It's pretty darn quick with the settings at the moment (Cheat on, 5800 start, 8000 end, 50deg of timing, 6.3fdr)

Cheers
Ed
Old 02-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cheers Ed that would be great, look forward to it.
All the best
Ben
Old 02-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default Motor Temp

Hi

Has anyone been using SP V2 17.5 for onroad with this speedo?, i cant seem to get the motor to run cooler than 200F, i have Tried 2 V2 motors and they both run hot as compared to running them on my GT2. The Motors are much more quicker on the MMP but cant seem to get them to run cool, i tried a SP v3, where i was just as fast, and the motor ran cool at 138F. I am running a fan on the motors

These are the settings im running

Cheat : 50
RPM : 3800 - 7700
FDR : 4.9
Start : High

I have tried lower Cheat, which makes the car slower, and also different rpm ranges, from 58xx - 9xxx , i also tried a 5.3 FDR which also was a bit slower, but still ran the motor hot.

The FDR for a GT2 with 107 s/w is a 4.3FDR

But This Speedo is very quick
Old 02-23-2010, 02:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Bought this speedo Friday,
Drove a few bat's on it Saturday,
Raced it Sunday.... And it was awesome fast

I'm really impressed by the Mamba Max Pro, With no no how of the Speedo and just a few bat's testing, the speedo was already awesome fast, and I've not reached the "sweet spot" yet...

Drove the 1:12 scale nats. Q2, F7 (car broke down) and F1.

Set-up:

Associated RC12R5.1
FDR: 43mm
Cheat : 47
RPM : 8500 - 19700
Start : High
Curve: Linear

Only the starts felt a little different. Like it the curve was not linear.

Some more test’s with this ESC, and then we’ll see what it will do at the ETS Polen in my Touringcar.

Best Regards

Robert
Old 02-23-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey bodymot,

If your around for the next carpet wars, pop over too the Horizon Hobby boys, and we'll be happy to have a chat about the settings I'm working a bit on getting an even better TC setup at the moment... next practise day at Maritime I'll be doing the same again It's pretty darn quick with the settings at the moment (Cheat on, 5800 start, 8000 end, 50deg of timing, 6.3fdr)

Cheers
Ed

Are those settings for a 10.5? Would you need to change much for a 13.5 at Maritime?

Last edited by Toblerone; 02-23-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Toblerone
Are those settings for a 10.5? Would you need to change much for a 13.5 at Maritime?
Hey,

Tbh, with 13.5 I would have thought it would work ok... will need a bit of tweaking on the rev ranges I guess... and maybe back the timing down, depending on motor used..

Now, on that point, ran the MMP in my 12th for the 2nd time this weekend at the maritime national. Didn't have the best of days on sat or sunday, namely in terms of not having raced 12th much, and being in the bottom heat... but (and I think I can safely say this) I had one of THE fastest cars on the straights..
I'm not joking, I was regularly taking 4-5m out of people on the straights, it was getting a little silly in the final, mainly after I dumped a 10.5 for the third time in the day

Anyway, main change was putting an X12 motor into the car, and retarding the timing to control heat... combined with the MMP, mega rip out of the corners, awesome top speed, and still only 70°C after 8mins. Anyway, settings...

Speedo; MMP
Cells; EnerG 4600 (4cell)
Motor; X12 10.5t - Fully retarded timing (oooo insert)
Drag Brake; Custom 3%
BEC v; 5.5v (no reciever pack or booster, just a Spektrum cap)
Throttle Dead Band; very small 0.025ms
Start Power; High
C.H.E.A.T mode; On
Timing Boost; 35°
RPM range; 5,500 - 8,700 rpm
Gearing; 44mpr (would have liked to drop down to around 40mmpr)

I found that 30° of timing gave me the runtime, but it wasn't quite as fast... so would prefer to drop the gearing rather than timing, but my 27t pinion seemed to have disappeared from my pit box..

Overall, very impressed... never really had such a speed advantage before

Oh, one more thing;

Castle, can you make a Castle Link software update so the software fits completely on a net book screen please! I can only just get to all the options on my Samsung N110 (1024 x 600 screen res), but only by maximising the window and moving the task bar to the side... some scroll bars in the software would be ace (or move the option boxes around ).

Cheers
Ed
Old 02-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Castle, can you make a Castle Link software update so the software fits completely on a net book screen please! I can only just get to all the options on my Samsung N110 (1024 x 600 screen res), but only by maximising the window and moving the task bar to the side... some scroll bars in the software would be ace (or move the option boxes around ).

Cheers
Ed
Email this to me. I'll add it to our next engineering meeting and see what can be done. [email protected]
Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

+1 on the netbook thing! Great Job Castle, love the esc.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Are the Majority of you guys running a booster or a rx pack with the 1 cell addition? I am thinking of picking one of these up for WGT and am wanting some specigics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.