Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Michal101
They are the same foam, but I seem to have longer tire life with the Parma's...probabley from what David said about different rims.
Same foam at a cheaper price. Can't beat Parma
Old 11-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JDXray
humm.. i can try that also, but i think taking the oneway out and putting the diff is my main problem. I am running 1* camber right now, but i can try 1.5

thanks

Jon
I wouldn't suggest changing the camber at first - there are more effective ways of reducing the steering. Ideally you should always set your camber up so that at the front the wear across the width of the tyres is even (i.e. for foams, there is no visible coning).

The best thing to do is to change to a diff - as a general rule, you simply get far too much steering with a one-way with foams on carpet.
Once you have the diff, you can tune it to suit the track conditions.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Dave,

That is also what I thought until Jilles Grosskamp (Team Xray) told me that adding camber would be the first thing to change when having problems with traction rolling.

I took his word for it...LOL
Really? He must like going against convention
Normally it would be tyres, anti-roll bar (front-harder), roll centre, harder springs, droop and so on.....camber usually comes quite low down.

But it depends upon how severe the traction roll is. The order of the items mentioned above gives the greatest change. But if you suddenly start to experience traction roll, it may be better to start off with the item which has the least influence, as items such as the anti-roll bar or tyres may correct it too severely. But if the car traction rolls at every corner, then it requires much more severe changes to cure it - here one would start with the tyres, etc.

Really Jilles comments should be taken in context of the problems he has experienced and if he wanted to make small or large changes to the handling.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

JDXray & Raving-Monkey

thanks for the responses, but I checked out Kthobbies, speedtechrc, stormerhobbies, horizonhobby, thercshack, precisionrc.com, and rc-mushroom and they are ALL out of stock.

Any other ideas as to where Ic an find a T1 Factory kit?

thanks.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:34 PM
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Dave,

That is also what I thought until Jilles Grosskamp (Team Xray) told me that adding camber would be the first thing to change when having problems with traction rolling.

I agree with Jilles. Adding camber works both ways... it can increase side bite or decrease it depending on how much angle is added and what was there to begin with.

Gluing the sidewalls was already mentioned, as was smaller diameter foam tires. These sometimes fix the problem because they help keep the sidewall from rolling over and grabbing as the outside tires lean outward in the corner. If you have enough camber you can get a similar effect, i.e. with enough camber the outside tires won't lean far enough to cause the sidewall to fold under. You'll lose forward bite, of course, but in these situations traction is usually pretty high allowing you to get away with more camber than you normally would.

Also, Xray's have a lot of rear traction and so the car can flip from the rear just as easy as the front. Changing/adding front sway bars and such won't help in this case. Try to determine if the car is flipping from the front or the rear first, then make changes.

Last, but not least, the setup might be fine, but you may be entering corners too fast. You can still setup the car so that it never traction rolls, but that just might be a bandaid for the driving. Slow in, fast out is usually best... I'm not saying this is the case here, just something else to think about.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by ozoner
JDXray & Raving-Monkey

thanks for the responses, but I checked out Kthobbies, speedtechrc, stormerhobbies, horizonhobby, thercshack, precisionrc.com, and rc-mushroom and they are ALL out of stock.

thanks.
woah, about 20 mins before i posted the link to mushroom they weren't
Old 11-23-2004, 02:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

woah, about 20 mins before i posted the link to mushroom they weren't
They don't tell you they're out of stock until you actually put one in your shopping cart - I guess you were just going by the item being on the webpage?

Thanks for trying to help though - appreciate it.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

JDXray & Raving-Monkey

thanks.
Not sure what your beliefs are on shopping in Oz V's shopping OS are, but you could always try CMC? (no i didnt buy my fk at cmc)
Old 11-23-2004, 02:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Adding to my post, I pre-ordered my FK at Speedtech RC and was very very happy.

Steve does a great job, and everyone who shops there comes away happy. They get my reccomendation

Either way it unfortunantly looks like you might be in for a wait, may as well order from someone who does it right and can be trusted

Shipping charges for EMS from Speedtech to Adelaide were $40USD on top of the order, and it was at my door in 5 business days.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Default FK kits

You may want to give these guys a go -

http://www.rcsquare.com

They list it on there site but do not give a stock status, i have emailed them but there must be a language barrier between us or they simply do not want to make money.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dave,

Actually Jilles is right, assuming the original camber was such that the tyres wear evenly across the full width of the tyre. In this case adding camber will only have a minimal effect on overall steering (i.e. you keep the same amount of steering), but the added angle will prevent traction rolls.

The reasoning is simple. Assume you are running a 0 degree camber angle and are cornering. The side wall will take most of the weight and this is exactly the point the car will rotate around when it traction rolls (and it will with 0 degree camber, trust me). So the trick is to move this point as far away from the actual contact patch as possible (i.e. increase camber). This way the car will need to roll further until it hits the outside wall of the tyre causing the traction roll. Just imagine what will happen should you run the car at 45 degree camber... There is NO WAY it will traction roll now is there? The car will be very stable in this respect (and probably have no grip )

The reason Jilles prefers a camber change to any of the other options is that most of the other options decreases the steering too much. The problem is traction rolling, not having too much steering...
Old 11-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by tonyv
Actually Jilles is right, assuming the original camber was such that the tyres wear evenly across the full width of the tyre. In this case adding camber will only have a minimal effect on overall steering (i.e. you keep the same amount of steering), but the added angle will prevent traction rolls.

The reasoning is simple. Assume you are running a 0 degree camber angle and are cornering. The side wall will take most of the weight and this is exactly the point the car will rotate around when it traction rolls (and it will with 0 degree camber, trust me). So the trick is to move this point as far away from the actual contact patch as possible (i.e. increase camber). This way the car will need to roll further until it hits the outside wall of the tyre causing the traction roll. Just imagine what will happen should you run the car at 45 degree camber... There is NO WAY it will traction roll now is there? The car will be very stable in this respect (and probably have no grip )

The reason Jilles prefers a camber change to any of the other options is that most of the other options decreases the steering too much. The problem is traction rolling, not having too much steering...

Tony,

Thanks for thoroughly explaining it since I could not remember the exact reasoning from Jilles...all that I know is that it worked for my situation.

Mike
Old 11-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

duckman996 & Windsorguy99, thanks for the track info. I'm definitey looking forward to going to one of the tracks on my way up in late Jan.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone have a spare wire type front sway bar for the short arms and the FT kit? Xray part number 302460. If you do and want to sell it, PM me please
Old 11-23-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

They don't tell you they're out of stock until you actually put one in your shopping cart - I guess you were just going by the item being on the webpage?

Thanks for trying to help though - appreciate it.
sorry, my fault, i didn't realise it was like that.

anyway, someone ont he xray forum came accross this chassis..as far as i know it is made (or just sold) by demon in the UK
Attached Thumbnails Xray T1-xraychassis.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.