Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Old 02-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

hey back from birds be back tommorrow. What im running is evo 2 (stiff Deck) and 3* hub, The 6* wouldnt cut it for me. I have 3* in there Which is faster in the middle of a turn and outa a turn. But the down side is its hard to control the car. 6* is smoother but slower around turn. What I was told. Also Purple and Plaids Are working great but Purple and Tans Are working better. More rear traction.
This is Stock and my 19 turn setup.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Front solid axle and 1.77 pulleys?

Originally posted by sands
You need a new layshaft too - 1.77 doesn't use the center one-way. (at least, this is what it should like from your question - what it the small pully?)

I am talking about using the 1.77 pullyeys on the front solid axle.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

Hydra - No problem with that. The same pulley fits the one way and the solid axle. It needs a little "encouragement" to fit the solid axle

Dr. Smooth - The short arms were used for the first offical outing at the Euros, and they were used on a fast track with fast transitions from side to side.
However, everybody is using them now because, according to the team drivers, the car carries more speed through the corners.

As far as I can tell that is the new "standard" on Xray cars.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:40 PM
JCB
Tech Addict

Originally posted by antoniop
Hydra - No problem with that. The same pulley fits the one way and the solid axle. It needs a little "encouragement" to fit the solid axle

Dr. Smooth - The short arms were used for the first offical outing at the Euros, and they were used on a fast track with fast transitions from side to side.
However, everybody is using them now because, according to the team drivers, the car carries more speed through the corners.

As far as I can tell that is the new "standard" on Xray cars.
Hello,

What do I need to do in order to mount the short arms? I already have them. I also use the front wire sway bar. Do I need to buy anything else? Or can I use what I have? I'm also running the KO servo if that helps.

thanks,
Old 02-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Front solid axle and 1.77 pulleys?

Originally posted by HYDRAMATIC99
I am talking about using the 1.77 pullyeys on the front solid axle.
Ah, there is a specific pully that fits both the one-way and the spool, make sure you get it on the right way though. The standard diff pullys (with the holes for the diff balls) only fit on the diff - not the solid axle.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Lazy out of the turns

Hey guys thanks for your help but I'm still looking for input on the lack of acceleration out of the turns. It seems as if the car goes through the cicains well but if there is a tight turn followed by a short striaght it doesn't get back up to speed before the next turn. As you can imagine by the end of the infeild I've lost a bunch of time. I think with all we've tried, I can rule out motor and batteries. Does the car have to much bite? What do you think about trimming the tires down to 26mm ( from 28 )?? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Lazy out of the turns

Originally posted by ccm399
Hey guys thanks for your help but I'm still looking for input on the lack of acceleration out of the turns. It seems as if the car goes through the cicains well but if there is a tight turn followed by a short striaght it doesn't get back up to speed before the next turn. As you can imagine by the end of the infeild I've lost a bunch of time. I think with all we've tried, I can rule out motor and batteries. Does the car have to much bite? What do you think about trimming the tires down to 26mm ( from 28 )?? Thanks again for all the help.
Running outdoors asphalt foams on 26mm rims, i cant understand why anyone would want to run anything wider, i can only assume the extra grip generated by the carpet locks the car in as it is. especially in spec classes i would have thought that you would want to free up the car in the corners by going to a narrower and harder compound. I generally run 26 mm foam, and adjust the shore rating to suit my needs, anything from 35 to 42, in both front and rear compositions.

In Stock and 19t i have cut the tire down to 24 mm with good results.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Tech Initiate

ccm399,

From what I see on set-up, you seem to be way stiff on the oil and piston. Springs don't sound way off and shock angle seems ok (would consider going to outside on lower front, but not a major prob). But with the heavy oil and small pistons, the car would have a lot of pack (springs can't overcome the heavy damping quickly).

I again say the kick-up would be better at 0. Are you running any anti-squat? That is a better cure to your on-power push.
Also, how much toe are you running? On carpet we don't need a lot. As little as possible in the front, and 1 to 2 degrees in the rear. That should get it out of the hole if you got the power!

How much camber are you running? Again in the 1 to 2.5 range should be OK. (But more like 1.5 to 2 should cover it.)

Hope this helps,
Phil...
Old 02-03-2004, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Lazy out of the turns

Originally posted by ccm399
What is your rollout? I run about 1.0" (25.4mm) for a monster and 1.1" (27.9mm) for a p2k2 and can match the shaft cars on punch.

Another question - what is the cars attitude out of the corner - under steer or over steer? Is the car drifting or planted? How soft are your springs? (too soft and the suspension will need to unwind itself) Too much damping will do the same.

Last edited by sands; 02-03-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Lazy Car

Chris....I may stop up on Thursday...if I do, I would like to take it for a drive and see what I can do with it. Have you set up your speedo correctly? Might want to set it up again...make sure it is ok. If you have another speedo, you may want to try it.

Eric
Old 02-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default more set-up stuff

Hey pilmat, thanks for your continued input. I run 1mm shim of rear toe and about 1* front toe. I assume when you say to run the front shocks all the way out you mean the bottom. Also I run about 1.5* camber all around. The rear needs as much as 2* to keep the left rear tire from coning, but the car feels better with 1-1.5*. I was thinking of trying a shorter rear camber link, right now it's in the lower bridge hole and the inner hole on the hub. What do you think? Would it be better to soften up the oil or open more holes in the pistons? Or both? My car feels considerably softer than my buddies XXX's but since it's not a xray I suppose it doesn't matter.

Jonser I will be there about 5:30 and would love your input!

Tahnks again Chris
Old 02-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Rollout

Hey sands, I have tried anywhere from .980-1.190 roll-out and the car doesn't change how it comes out of the turn. I have to agree with Pilmat I think its more of a set-up thing, but thanks for your input.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Akerman settings

Hey Pilmat, I was just working on my car and noticed I have the steering liks in the outside holes on the bell crank and the front holes on the knuckles. Any thoughts?
Old 02-03-2004, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Chris....I had mine in the same positions and it was suggested to me that I change to the opposite. Keep in mind that your lap times will probably be a couple tenths slower for at least half of the practice. We have found this to be the case the last few weeks of practice.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Tech Initiate

ccm399, haven't tried that, but everyone seems to be running stock (inner on crank and rear on steering arm). I read that Josh is running a third hole on the arm, one further back.

As for the oil and shock, I run 2 or 3 hole in the front and 4 in the back (both fixed piston), 30wt all around. We have medium grip carpet, and it flies. 30lb front spring with 1mm wire bar, 25lb rear spring with NO bar. Same camber a you. No kick-up with 3 degree caster, 3 degree anti-squat. 0 front toe, 1 degree rear. Jaco orange/purple and purple, 28mm wide. I run less front up-lift (droop), but same in rear.

I have a rear roll bridge, but haven't played with it yet (my car is dialled). So my camber links are all stock.

The big differences between your set-up and mine seem to be oil, anti-squat and steering.

Hey, stupid question, but how often do you true the tires? I always set camber for performance and true often (6 to 8 runs at club level). Also, I find front to rear wear REALLY affects performance.

Let us know how it goes on Thurs night, we can give you more feedback then.

Later, Phil...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.