Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

LOSI XXX-S, Tips and Tricks, Open Mod, etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks Grauwulf for finding and following. Would you like me to put you down for a couple belts? Things still seem to be good on the belt front. What sort of motors are you guys running? I'm going to swap in a brushless XeRun setup to try and punish the belt I put it... see if it holds up. Everyone here still racing? List btw is still:

1. edm rob-4
2. skater-deez1-4 or more...price dependent
3. vabroom - 4 + tensioner
4. cdlowe30907- 2 or 4
5. farley1 - 3
6. rctrackman - 4
7. undying - 2
8. rubbaneck - 2
9. 429racer - 2
10. skid plate - 2
11. boostedti - ?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Still racing with others here.
Probably have 6 to 10 of us that all have XXXS's.
I run against Rubbaneck every chance we can.
Dirt rally.
There are probably going to be more interested in belts from this group also.
Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by skid plate
Still racing with others here.
Probably have 6 to 10 of us that all have XXXS's.
I run against Rubbaneck every chance we can.
Dirt rally.
There are probably going to be more interested in belts from this group also.
Thanks again.
That's awesome. Hopefully I'll have an answer this weekend after some testing but things are looking good. My only complaint is the belt does seem tighter fitting than stock and takes quite a bit to have it stretch. There's very little stretch at all.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jhwnissan
That's awesome. Hopefully I'll have an answer this weekend after some testing but things are looking good. My only complaint is the belt does seem tighter fitting than stock and takes quite a bit to have it stretch. There's very little stretch at all.
May not be such a bad thing though,the oem belts were too soft to last...I don't see that being a problem with these!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
May not be such a bad thing though,the oem belts were too soft to last...I don't see that being a problem with these!
I mainly mean that it doesn't roll super freely like some of the other chassis I've had before. It could be old bearings and the tightness of the belt. But, I just want to be honest with people. Expect some braking effect on your driveline to an extent due to the tension that exists in the system. I'm hoping my tests with the brushless setup show me that it can run well just like they did in my Street Weapon. Those freed up after several runs and were virtually bulletproof. I only put in new belts when I had the thing apart for diff service which was 1 time per season (3 months)... just so I wouldn't have to do it at the track.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I mainly mean that it doesn't roll super freely like some of the other chassis I've had before. It could be old bearings and the tightness of the belt. But, I just want to be honest with people. Expect some braking effect on your driveline to an extent due to the tension that exists in the system. I'm hoping my tests with the brushless setup show me that it can run well just like they did in my Street Weapon. Those freed up after several runs and were virtually bulletproof. I only put in new belts when I had the thing apart for diff service which was 1 time per season (3 months)... just so I wouldn't have to do it at the track.
How much longer is the next belt that you can get from your supplier? Maybe a longer belt would work better with the HD/Black Belt arm and Pulley?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kevin K
How much longer is the next belt that you can get from your supplier? Maybe a longer belt would work better with the HD/Black Belt arm and Pulley?
Much, much longer. 261 teeth to be exact and it isn't an American belt so it will take longer to get. 100 belt minimum order I was told due to tooling and production restrictions.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just need some clarification since it's been awhile since i had to think about belts. Earlier you mentioned the stock HD belt being 259t. This longer belt is 261t. Does anyone who still has an HD tensioner know if we have that much tension adjustment to make up for the extra length ?? Or does the tensioner offer the possibility of additional motion to make up for it if we had an additional hole for the set screw? Hope that makes sense.
I'm concerned about the current belt having to much tension for most practical uses. As i mentioned earlier, with lower powered cars (25.5,21.5) belt tension needs to be fairly loose or the drivetrain simply has to much drag. At least in my experience.

Last edited by rctrackman; 10-26-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rctrackman
Just need some clarification since it's been awhile since i had to think about belts. Earlier you mentioned the stock HD belt being 259t. This longer belt is 261t. Does anyone who still has an HD tensioner know if we have that much tension adjustment to make up for the extra length ?? Or does the tensioner offer the possibility of additional motion to make up for it if we had an additional hole for the set screw? Hope that makes sense.
I'm concerned about the current belt having to much tension for most practical uses. As i mentioned earlier, with lower powered cars (25.5,21.5) belt tension needs to be fairly loose or the drivetrain simply has to much drag. At least in my experience.
Skaterdeez might be sending me an HD tensioner to try with a longer belt, but I think the belts should be good once they are run a few times. They just aren't loose like the stock belts because the teeth are tougher and harder with less flex due to the kevlar in the belt. I have the option of trying to get 256t belts but they are from a completely different contact who may add to the cost. I'm not sure yet. I've been trying to keep a consistent supplier and belt maker over the years so I know what I'm getting 100% of the time.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rctrackman
Yeah 2 extra teeth might be manageable with the longer HD arm and pulley.

I personally would be willing to try one of these than buy one of the super tight looking ones.

Skaterdeez might be sending me an HD tensioner to try with a longer belt, but I think the belts should be good once they are run a few times. They just aren't loose like the stock belts because the teeth are tougher and harder with less flex due to the kevlar in the belt. I have the option of trying to get 256t belts but they are from a completely different contact who may add to the cost. I'm not sure yet. I've been trying to keep a consistent supplier and belt maker over the years so I know what I'm getting 100% of the time.
If the belt is too stiff you can always cut off every other tooth and or take some sandpaper and hold it on the backside of the belt as its spinning in the car to help it flex more. These are tricks that were done with the stock belts back in the day.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

Update: I put a mild Leopard brushless motor I had laying around in the car WITH stock tensioner and the 252 tooth belt I had been experimenting on. Without having to cut every other tooth or modifying the belt, it easily went out and drove well. After making some adjustments to the gear mesh, I figured out the previous brushed motor installed by the previous owner was simply too tight and draggy. When I put the brushless motor in and reset the mesh as well as adjusted the belt out slightly (after the chassis modification) the car really came alive. It took all the abuse I could throw at it and rolled extrememly well compared to what it was previously. I guess that's what I get for using someone's shelf queen that hasn't been sorted out in ages. Belt looks good and the car is rolling freely now. It ran so well, I was able to get a few high speed runs going until I managed to hit a car on the street (my fault). I'm pretty happy with them so far. One more week of testing and I'll put in a big order for you guys. I just want to be 100% certain they'll work well for you guys minus the small chassis mod. Those just joining us, the chassis had to have the tensioner adjustment slot cut upward towards the top of the chassis so that the screw can be inserted properly without the belt being too tight. Belts have kevlar re-inforcement so they aren't stretchy quite like stock belts are.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Great news man,sounds like you had fun. Thanks for not giving up on the xxxs,you're doing a great thing here...much respect!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
Great news man,sounds like you had fun. Thanks for not giving up on the xxxs,you're doing a great thing here...much respect!
It definitely was fun. Would have been more fun had I put the right remote on it. I made the mistake of using a cheap transmitter with no ability to reverse the steering... hence the hit car. Other than that, damn was the car responsive. Wish I would have had one when I raced VTA... I really like this thing.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great news Josh, can't wait to play again!
Old 10-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

1. edm rob-4
2. skater-deez1-4 or more...price dependent
3. vabroom - 4 + tensioner
4. cdlowe30907- 2 or 4
5. farley1 - 3
6. rctrackman - 4
7. undying - 2
8. rubbaneck - 2
9. 429racer - 2
10. skid plate - 2
11. boostedti - 2
12. js600-2
13. sutman9872-2
14. Teamgimpy72- ?
____

Last edited by jhwnissan; 10-29-2013 at 05:37 AM. Reason: More people wanting belts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.