Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Differences in 1/10 xray kits? >

Differences in 1/10 xray kits?

Differences in 1/10 xray kits?

Old 02-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Tech Adept

Default Differences in 1/10 xray kits?

Hey guys, i want an xray 1/10 touring car, i used to have a graphite plus xxx-s.

I'm on a small rc budget, but all i need is the car, i already have the batteries and all the electronics. I'm certainly no professional, so i have no problems buying a used car. Which from the prices i see should save me about 50%. I don't take the hobby super serious, i'm a little more into having fun for the time being.

I realize there's an xray thread, but i don't really have the time to scroll through 204 pages, when i'm sure some of you can answer my questions in minutes.

I really need to know the differences in the kits, so i know what to stay away from.

Are they all compatible as far as parts? So if i break something on the older model can newer parts go on? Parts compatability is a big issue, so if there's a model that's just plain old out dated, and i shouldn't buy, please let me know.

What are the kits? Racer, evo, evo2, evo2 factory and freedom of choice evo2?

If i get a racer kit upgraded with the carbon fiber is that as good as the evo model?

Thanks for any help,
Joe
Old 02-19-2004, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Get the Factory team...has all the updated parts and same price as the F.O.C. kit.
FOC kit has both pillow ball and C-block suspension. graphite chassis.
Std. Evo2 has the pillow ball suspension only, graphite chassis.
T1R.. C-block suspension..plastic tub chassis.

all the parts are interchangle with all the kits...

and fyi...if you use the search function...you'll get to the Xray thread alot faster....

good luck.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Tech Adept

I have the T1R and am extremely happy. The kit can be had for about $200 and can easily be upgraded should you wish in the future.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Current kits are

T1R
It's mainly an evo2 with c-hub but instead of carbon it's some kind of plastic

Evo2 T1 Factory
It's the newst kif from xray. I think it will be only available with c-hub but it will have the shortened suspension arm the new lightweighted bulkhead and the new rear tower

Old Kits

Evo2 T1 Freedom of Choice
The evo2 with the option of having both pivot ball suspension and c-hub

[i]Evo2[i/]
The succesor of T1. Differences were the introduction of the new upper deck, same length shocks for all 4 and some optionals were included to the kit like super smooth ball bearings

Evo T1
The first kit.

The good think is that all parts are interchangable.

At this point you might find in stores the FOC and not the Factory kit yet. For sure Factory will not be found as used kit.

Nick
Old 02-20-2004, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

the new Team Kit has super stiff chassis.
that might not be good on anything other than carpet.

if on a budget , get the T1R.There are still differences between it and the T1,some like anodized bulkheads,and pivot ball fixtures.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

Parts are interchaneable between each kits.

As for the Factory Kit, the chassis isnt super stiff like what lee has said.
The upper deck comes with a stiff design. If you wish to make it more flexible, there are 2 more softer version of the upper deck.

I have run with the stiff upper deck and dont find any problems with it. Handling wise that is.

So if budget permits, get a T1 Factory Kit (not T1 EVO2 Factory Kit). If your pocket is tight, get the T1 Raycer.

T1 Raycer is the same as the EVO2 FOC only it doesnt comes with the pivot ball suspension. Furthermore all the graphite parts has been substituted by composite. You will get the tub chassis, front and rear suspension holder and the upper deck all in composite (some kind of hardened plastic i think).

Just my 0.02
Old 02-20-2004, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Joe, it all depends on your ability to setup
the evo2, with the t1r it is a easer car to setup, all the help is in the
setup book, but with the evo2 or factory
you have more fine tuning options, so you need more time to fine tune the evo2
and the t1r is more cost efficient when it
comes to parts, but both cars are good.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Personally, I'd be waiting on the Factory Kit. It is releasing at the same price as the Evo2 FOC....which means in the $300 range...

That extra $100 is money well spent, as you'll save that on hop-ups for a T1R...

another thing to consider is checking out a used kit....they can save you a lot of money if your budget is tight.

Most people seem to be running C-Hub now...although I hear Pivot ball is more durable...

The hot conversion that people are scrambling to put on their kits is the short suspension arms (included in the factory kit)...also included in the kit (I believe) are lightweight spring steel outdrives...which eliminates a minor maintenance issue with the car.

You really can't go wrong with any of the kits though. Xray has evolved their design..they got it right the first time, so have only performed tweaks on the design....and those tweaks have always been compatible with earlier models.

Some will complain about how often updated kits are released by Xray....don't fret...because the parts are still compatible....

Keep in mind that the first generation T1 is still as good if not better than most of the 'current' offerings from other manufacturers...the new kits and parts only serve to make a good thing even better.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
Most people seem to be running C-Hub now...although I hear Pivot ball is more durable...
After running both C Hub and pivot ball suspension on my EVO2, i still prefer the C hub suspension. Havent broken an arm before. Mind you its been running for 3 months on a very frequent basis.

Some will complain about how often updated kits are released by Xray....don't fret...because the parts are still compatible....
Complain??? Try taking other brand for instant. 1st version, then 2 version then latest version. And none of them are compatible with each other. For XRAY, the 1st model to the latest one is based on the SAME CAR!!!!

Keep in mind that the first generation T1 is still as good if not better than most of the 'current' offerings from other manufacturers...the new kits and parts only serve to make a good thing even better.
Yeap. I agree with this statement. I had a fren who was running a second hand T1 (first model) and i am running an EVO2 FOC. Both of us are clocking the same time. But he is a better driver overall though while i am still in the learning stages ...
Old 02-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

WSG99, I am the person that state
why xray coming out with a new car
and that was not a complain I was just
stating that they should keep options
as options and not a new car because
I just got the evo2 and a new car is coming not even a month that I got the car, so you should read carefully next time before you say people complain about a new car, new is always good
as long as it's for the better.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the replys guys,

What i'm really trying to do is to have an xray to run at my local outdoor track. I don't plan on taking the racing too serious. Just some weekend fun.

I'm not supergreat with setting cars up, but i really don't make much effort either.

I first wanted an xray, but i got a xxx graphite plus with all necessites to run it for 100 bucks last year. So I played with that, and sold it at the end of the season. I didn't really want it but the price was right. Real automobiles are my real hobby and i prefer to spend the big bucks on them. So i have no problem buying an xray off ebay used, i don't need the perfection of a new one, that i probably will bash up anyway. I've kept an eye on used xrays for about a month now on ebay, and basically it seems you can get any model other than the FOC or factory team for 150 or less.
From the way you guys talk the evo2 may be plenty for me, for the time being, and if i get hooked into it, then i can spend more money later.

My objective is to race, and keep the budget to the bare minimum, i'm not being cheap, i just have other hobby's that are more important to me. But all i need is the car, so...

Which car comes with crummy bearings, that's seems to be the only thing, i'd really like to avoid?

Is there any models that come with a front oneway, i figure a oneway will cost me 40 bucks or so (i'm guessing) and i will figure that into my buying price, since i'll be geting one anyway.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 02-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by 2000xp8
Thanks for all the replys guys,

What i'm really trying to do is to have an xray to run at my local outdoor track. I don't plan on taking the racing too serious. Just some weekend fun.

Any body want to run a line on how long he stays "not too serious". He's gonna get hooked like the rest of us. probably take out a second morgage to pay for all the stuff.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:29 PM

yeah i started 7 months ago "not to serious" and had tons of plans for my mustang LOL guess its going to stay stock.
but least ill have cool rc gear
Old 02-20-2004, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

When I had my 2000 camaro SS i thought i was more into real cars too. After seeing how expensive mods were i said forget it. I ended up selling it and getting into rc. Much more affordable for me that's fo sho.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by AWOLsoldier
When I had my 2000 camaro SS i thought i was more into real cars too. After seeing how expensive mods were i said forget it. I ended up selling it and getting into rc. Much more affordable for me that's fo sho.
I pity you, i'm anti chevy, but i certainly respect ss's. My cars are in my sig, i highly doubt an rc car will take priority.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.