Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We are invisible!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default We are invisible!

Was just at mytsn.com and was looking at a forum that talked about finding ways to spread the word about our hobby into the mainstream. Such as not just in r/c related publications.

I want to ask everyone what they thought would be a good way to attract newcomers to the hobby.

How do we get people interested?
Old 02-19-2004, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Default Honestly????

May seem a bit dorky but we've been talking about taking our normal pit set-up(ez-ups and tables) a few extra cars bodies on, bodies off, print up some fliers with Club race info and setting up in front of say a home depot or Lowes for a Saturday a week before a club race. Get out there, there's your racers crowd. Soon as they slow down catch the mechanics of it all and the cool bodies that go on say a 1/8th on-road car you can really land em. Justa thought, haven't done it yet but in a recovering economy strike while the opportunity is there to get new racers.

Kevin
Old 02-19-2004, 09:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Grassroots marketing is always a good approach. Good way to get people excited and interested.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Another way would be to have a LHS or local track have cars available for rent for a nominal. One of the local permanent tracks used to use 1/8 on road cars converted to electric. This was quite a few years back. Charge $5 or $10 to run a fully charged pack and you have a good way to introduce RC to many new people.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Another way would be to have a LHS or local track have cars available for rent for a nominal. One of the local permanent tracks used to use 1/8 on road cars converted to electric. This was quite a few years back. Charge $5 or $10 to run a fully charged pack and you have a good way to introduce RC to many new people.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

I think kids are the key. Kids find out about these things and many times the parents end up getting really involved. The kid's interests may change but I notice that many kids (after they've grown and have jobs to support the addiction...er, hobby) come back and stick with it. Last year there were several big races in large shopping areas that really drew a lot of interest from non-rc'ers. If someone had the money to produce a kid's tv series that depicted a few kids racing, I'm sure the hobby shops would be flooded with new blood. Heh heh!
Old 02-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

get some friends (and hopefully your LHS) and ask a buisness with a big parking lot if you can use it one day when they are closed and put some flyers up, if you drive they will come

Thanks to RC Driver, cause it was there Idea(RC Driver Issue #3)
Old 02-21-2004, 12:54 AM
Tech Adept

At least twice a year our club will stage a race during a town fair or festival where alot people are around. You would be suprised how many people will actually stop and watch. Heck they will pick out a favorate driver and cheer him or her on! And there's always the "oooohs" and "aaaaahhs" when someone crashes. It makes for great publicity.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by The Sleeper
At least twice a year our club will stage a race during a town fair or festival where alot people are around. You would be suprised how many people will actually stop and watch. Heck they will pick out a favorate driver and cheer him or her on! And there's always the "oooohs" and "aaaaahhs" when someone crashes. It makes for great publicity.
Yep. In the early 90's we used to travel around the different towns here during the civic weeks and put on displays. The crowds really did get into it and like you say they were going mad when the one they were cheering for passed someone or the others crashed. Really helped to bring the hobby back for a few years. And surprise surprise, now that there are no more tours around the country the numbers have fallen away and 1:8th had died off completely (starting to make a slight comeback now though). The 200mm class brought a lot of the heavy spenders (company owners) over from electric and they seem to be just buying a car for each class. Even 235mm is making a late comeback.

A couple of years ago one of the clubs got featured on a local TV program (they do these type of promotional things free here to increase the appeal of Northern Ireland to foreigners) and it brought in some fresh blood. Need more of this all over the world.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

did you see the commercial during the daytona 500 with the coca cola racers racing r/c cars for a coke?

also ive seen r/c cars on mtv's cribs show

and i saw a traxxas add in an autoweek magazine

and a r/c tv show on the outdoor network

its starting to happen
Old 02-21-2004, 09:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by hicheef
setting up in front of say a home depot or Lowes

Kevin
I know for a fact that this is a very good way to promote the hobby. Before I moved to another Canadian Province, I used to race at a club that set up their track in the parking lot of a Canadian Tire (big Canadian store for tools, car parts, hardware, etc). At the end of the first season, people would come in great numbers with their lawn chairs and coolers to watch the races and cheer on whenever there was a good pass made or when there was a spectacular crash.
The club's officials had to convince the store owners that a R/C track would not disturb their weekend operations (took almost two years). They had to buy insurance so that the store wouldn't be held responsible if someone gets hurt (either racers or spectators). Everyone racing had to deal with dozens of people asking questions about the hobby, the cars, the equipment.
The race commentator had to talk a whole lot more to accomodate the many spectators and keep them interested by explaining in detail what was going on during the races, which car was leading and stuff like that. He also had to manage the crowd so no one would sit or venture to close to the track.
It's a lot of work but it brought a few more members to the club and I'm sure this club is going to keep on growing in the future, thanks to the exposure they get.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by PTP Racing
did you see the commercial during the daytona 500 with the coca cola racers racing r/c cars for a coke?

also ive seen r/c cars on mtv's cribs show

and i saw a traxxas add in an autoweek magazine

and a r/c tv show on the outdoor network

its starting to happen
Can't forget about the Savage 21's rolling around the Monster Garage...
Old 02-22-2004, 02:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

with just a few guys on some local netball courts for a few hours we always end up talking to ppl who want to know more so we refer them to our local club on a tues night- doesnt sound like much but in 3 yrs has gone from a few guys mucking around to a club with 100+ members and regular turnouts of 70 + drivers and crowds up to 300
Old 02-22-2004, 05:14 AM
Tech Addict

Wink Promos

We do a promotional type race at local groccery stores and shopping centers, usually on a Saturday morning, with a practice session Friday afternoon.

The "uhhhs" and "ahhs" usually brings the interested to the track. We also have the experienced guys walk amongst the crowd ansering questions and engaging/soliciting in Q&A sessions.

Track Management even does this on regualr club events, which really helps the new guys stay interested. Tell one friend and he'll/she'll tell one friend, so on and so on.

I usually seek a newcomer and ask him to pit adjacent to me, so I can help out during my down time or jst help them while on the driver stand [especially if dad hasn't a clue.

Banners on a portable driver's stand also promote the LHS, and we even do a ticket raffle, giving non-racers an extra ticket just for buying a $1 worth. Heck, I even won my first [and still only] car hauler!

The commercials are priceless and the shows on OLN & DIY are good too.

Sorry, didn't mean to get lengthy.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

I can't believe that so many people are involved with R/c, without any televised commercial ads. Maybe if some of the big companies had commercials instead of 154 sponsered team drivers (Associated, Losi ) More people would take notice of this hobby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.