Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Magnets polarity(Need help)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Magnets polarity(Need help)

I switched the magnets in one of my motors to wet magnets,does it matter if the magnets go on either side????will my esc go bad if they are placed opposite?
Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

OK... was getting a little confused...

The magnets' polarity is different. Hopefully they are marked.

If you put them in the wrong way, the effect will be similar to if you ever happen to put the endbell on the wrong way - the motor will run in reverse.

A nice link I found while getting confused... http://www.stefanv.com/rcstuff/qf200212.html

Last edited by sosidge; 10-28-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Red face

it says that alone the magnets do nothing "By itself it does nothing. However, if you pass an electric current through the wire, a magnetic field is formed in the iron bar, and it becomes a magnet" but i still don't understand....ill just have to test it out i guess with my esc so my streak doesnt screw up.But i still wanna know for sure to avoid it.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Champion

I'm not sure on this question myself...but I will caution you...if you plan to do any sanctioned racing, the motor will not be legal. But if your just backyard bashing, go for it!
Old 10-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Arrow

The only racing i do is against gas cars,the only electric car to race me was a tyco RC and i beat him in reverse when i had the option.i just hope the esc doesn't get screwed up.i don't think the magnets make a diff. tho because when they are pulled out and switched they still have the same effect without the electricity, so with it it should be the same,like rotating tires.I feel that the magnets are powered from the way they are placed,if placed on the neg. then it is neg. and pos. ,its positive.Ill have info on this for people when i try it out myself.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

As long as you have a North (+) and a South (-) magnet you will be fine. The motor may turn the opposite direction you were expecting. Either turn the endbell 180 or swap your motor wires.

A not on the end bell, just make sure you don't go too far with the timing in either direction.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Initiate

This helped,the motor can is fixed but Ive managed to loosen it and mount screws,i can easily rotate the endbell.Thanks all