Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Yeah, but you said you were trying to get a handle on some to make your own pinions, and I'd hoped you were successful and thus I could be lazy and cheat off your success.

This must be the part about pan I like the most. 4wd is nearly all the same, 1/8th or 1/10th...people are running factory kits, and that's fine, but we seem to have the only class that encourages individual design and modelling. If only I had a c in c machine....

...and I give Matt total credit on the G10. I love working with that stuff and STILL can't believe how affordable it is. I'm almost tempted to stockpile some in case they stop offering it....anything too good to last usually doesn't.
what i was thinking was too adapt the pinions i saw in off road too the edam clutch, still in the works but the car build is using up hobby time. will make alum. examples too check clearance my thought is too help those with an older car get too run
Old 11-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Just so you know, AARCOBRA has had some major work done on his back, I for one hope he's doing well!
my wife is the church goer, will ad ned too her prayers. ok chores done now down too the "lab"
Old 11-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Just so you know, AARCOBRA has had some major work done on his back, I for one hope he's doing well!
...weird...I just strained mine BAD last week...off work 5 days...couldn't even stand up...muscle relaxers cause funky dreams...went back today...and so happy to feel good...
Old 11-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

The VA botched mine...permanently. Here's hoping his went better.
...um dood...you let the gubbament work on your back??.....do you not see how they manage OUR money...and "FIX" the healthcare system....
Old 11-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by Taylorm
...um dood...you let the gubbament work on your back??.....do you not see how they manage OUR money...and "FIX" the healthcare system....
I didn't have much of an option at the time. I kid you not, I wound up with an Iranian internee doing the work while consulting with the head quack over the phone who was on the golf course at the time. Upshot was going from partial nerve damage down the left side to full and permanent nerve damage down both sides, and according to every quack since, irreversible. Then got booted out of the hospital about 12 hours later, they hired a limo service to drive me home four hours away because I was....perturbed....and may have been overly vocal about a few things (including the senior veteran in the bed next to me being mistreated). Fortunately, since I was previously married, I had grown accustomed to great pain....
Old 11-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Get well soon Ned! I feel your pain. I had back surgery last fall. Good luck with your recovery. -Jason
Old 11-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

...Anyone spot any Novarossi N21-3T turbo motor for sale anywhere?...No one has them????
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151067247269...84.m1438.l2649
...hows that for a cheap pan motor?.....
Old 11-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Tech Addict

Sigh. It's November. A long hard winter ahead of us, no smell of nitro in the air. Now the jealosy begins towards those with more spare time and $$$ to travel to distant, sunny and warmer climes for races during our off season. I may even get desperate enough to dust off the Super Phaser and go play on carpet, but it definitely won't be the same.

I'm definitely running an open wheel body for a lot of next year. Amazingly, that IS one thing that is no longer in the ROAR book, so we need to track down someone who has an old copy. I have no doubt about the car and the body itself, but while I do have an old wing or two, I don't dare run them. The wings used to take a terrible beating, and I've made another, but it's a tad....heavy.

I also wish I had a video of late 70's racing at the Indy track. Oval racing with Indy bodies was something to see, very quick lap times, and lots of passing. I suspect on an oval track 4wd would have very little advantage over a pan car, since we'd run much bigger right side tires than left.....
Old 11-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Sigh. It's November. A long hard winter ahead of us, no smell of nitro in the air. Now the jealosy begins towards those with more spare time and $$$ to travel to distant, sunny and warmer climes for races during our off season. I may even get desperate enough to dust off the Super Phaser and go play on carpet, but it definitely won't be the same.

I'm definitely running an open wheel body for a lot of next year. Amazingly, that IS one thing that is no longer in the ROAR book, so we need to track down someone who has an old copy. I have no doubt about the car and the body itself, but while I do have an old wing or two, I don't dare run them. The wings used to take a terrible beating, and I've made another, but it's a tad....heavy.

I also wish I had a video of late 70's racing at the Indy track. Oval racing with Indy bodies was something to see, very quick lap times, and lots of passing. I suspect on an oval track 4wd would have very little advantage over a pan car, since we'd run much bigger right side tires than left.....
If we could find enough Indy/F1 bodies....an oval pan race next year would be cool....
Old 11-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Tech Addict

If we could find enough Indy/F1 bodies....an oval pan race next year would be cool....
+1 on that! Sounds fun. Finding bodies may be easier than finding a track?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hmm

Originally Posted by MrHistory
Finding a track isn't the problem. Most tracks have moveable infields, and since a lot of tracks already have large sweeps on the backstraight, the job is half done before you start.

The problem is getting people to do it. There aren't too many open wheel bodies that I know of that could be adapted to fit a 4wd properly. Also, most 4wd's are a tad.....delicate.....and the body absorbs a lot of the abuse. With an open wheel body, there's just not enough protection for a 4wd. (This isn't to say that you couldn't still have an oval race for those guys, but with can am bodies...we did that too back in the 80's, still lots of fun.)

The main thing may be tho that so few people have actually done it. I doubt we have very many who've participated in a large oval race, so they have no concept of what it'd be like. It really does sound boring to talk about, but actually doing it, with the passing and the lap times, is just incredible. Insane gearing options that are pokey off the line but really make the car hum in the straights. Not being locked in to running just one particular line. Easier to marshall. We used to have a huge race in Indy every year, not for points (much like the GLC), that always had huge turnout, in racers and in spectators. I've been to a lot of tracks, a lot of races, but never had as much fun as I did at the Indy event. I actually wonder if pan couldn't race competitively against 4wd at such an event.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrHistory
...We move a few boards here in Toledo...wah-lah...OVAL
Old 11-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Tech Addict

...We move a few boards here in Toledo...wah-lah...OVAL
mantura models has them, who posted about the tire donuts?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

A picture of brothers formula bodied cars from 75-76. I had a similar setup
http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...ed-1-8-car.jpg
Old 11-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

http://deltaplastikusa.com/index.php?route=common/home
They now have a site...but not all the same offerings on the Italian site......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.