Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrHistory
Hi Guys
How many of you out there are running the Motonica? I dont need to hear from everyone,e perhaps someone can throw out a figure...

Also, what parts would be needed to maintain and run the P8C for a year? An itemized list would be helpful: which parts are replaces often, who needs what, etc. Please tell me like x # of parts, and which ones. I realize this depends on the driver but it would be helpful to have a rough estimate of what we need.

I am trying to source some parts for everyone for this season so let me know.
thanks for your positive input, in 2 seasons of p8c use I really see the diff and front arms being the main prob for people. but my rear belt seems a bit stretched now. most of us are what I would call average club racers.i have been trying too make or substitute parts too keep us going. please pm me for details. matt your email keeps coming back as bad address I have 67 tooth belt.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 5italkart
thanks for your positive input, in 2 seasons of p8c use I really see the diff and front arms being the main prob for people. but my rear belt seems a bit stretched now. most of us are what I would call average club racers.i have been trying too make or substitute parts too keep us going. please pm me for details. matt your email keeps coming back as bad address I have 67 tooth belt.
.weird...getting email from everything else???.....im gonna order belts soon....hows $3.00 a belt sound
Old 05-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
I have an old Serpent Excel (got it in a trade after I got back into racing). When I hold it next to my new Edam Razor2, I notice they are basically the same car. Same with Mugen. Same with all of them (except maybe Capricorn.) So I'm wondering when the original design came out, who made it, and who has copied it since. If they are all basically the same car and also about the same price (odd coincidence, that) then who exactly do we intend to blame for "cloning"? (Note: Edam is roughly half the price of the others. Not 10 percent less, or 20....half.)

What I do know is I'm spending less than half to buy the same car. I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that the Excel came out circa 1999, fourteen years ago. If that number is right, then there sure has been a bunch of "cloning" going on, and most of it long before Edam hit the market. I can't find it within me to blame a company for cloning, given the large amount of cloning that has gone on, and given the fact that one company out of all of them isn't trying to charge the same nosebleed price for the same basic car. In fact, I sort of appreciate it. Part of the reason I'm trying to get Edam to build a pan car is because I believe they'll do it more cheaply than the others...which in turn makes it possible for more people to do it. I've made not one single dime off selling Edam products..in fact, I've lost money on it and will probably continue to do so because I care more about helping other people have fun than line my own pockets. If I'm doing it with a "cloned" version, so be it. I fully understand that I'll irk a few people along the way because I'm vastly undercutting someones overseas profit margin, and I'm ok with that too. I think I may get your general point, Ned...certainly, countries in Asia (especially China) have made billions off proprietary theft and continue to do so. But in this case, EVERYONE has been doing it for years, and there isn't one American company producing cars anyway....if there were, I'd be supporting them instead, I do believe in "buy American." But when my choices are limited to imports, then my wallet is my guide and I'm entitled to get the best bang for the buck I can.

By the by, I've read somewhere that Serpent is moving its operation to somewhere in Asia. Hm.
You seem to be confusing "cloning" with "having a similar design". You are the one that said that EDAM parts will interchange with some of the other cars' parts. That is "cloning". When the designs are similar, belt drive, rear engine, etc. that is totaly different. It's more about the cost of design than how similar it appears. EDAM appearently saves a bunch of money by skipping the design step and reproducing parts designed by someone else, per your own statements...(I have never even looked at an EDAM. and when you told me it was cheaper to by a whole kit than the parts I wanted, that ended my interest.)
Old 05-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Taylorm
.weird...getting email from everything else???.....im gonna order belts soon....hows $3.00 a belt sound
I tried again please check. seems I have too write a new one each time. momma has her eye on an apple pc
Old 05-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aarcobra
You seem to be confusing "cloning" with "having a similar design". You are the one that said that EDAM parts will interchange with some of the other cars' parts. That is "cloning". When the designs are similar, belt drive, rear engine, etc. that is totaly different. It's more about the cost of design than how similar it appears. EDAM appearently saves a bunch of money by skipping the design step and reproducing parts designed by someone else, per your own statements...(I have never even looked at an EDAM. and when you told me it was cheaper to by a whole kit than the parts I wanted, that ended my interest.)
I think this is sounding more like a political debate. if it works out that a person can only afford an "off brand" car then so be it. at least they are out there running. for the vast majority of us you could give us zuke's car from sunday and we would still run the same. please just do what works for you and get out and participate and keep on road alive.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think this is sounding more like a political debate. if it works out that a person can only afford an "off brand" car then so be it. at least they are out there running. for the vast majority of us you could give us zuke's car from sunday and we would still run the same. please just do what works for you and get out and participate and keep on road alive.
Roger that. I just want to race. If it means ultimately I take the nitro lessons learned and go back to off road, then so be it. But I want to race on road. I'd like to get deeper in it.

But I like the simplicity of the pan. In comparison, it's a set it and forget it world.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

I tried again please check. seems I have too write a new one each time. momma has her eye on an apple pc
.I never had an Apple....although I do run into many customers at work that own them...they all seem to like them..they can be pricey though
Old 05-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Roger that. I just want to race. If it means ultimately I take the nitro lessons learned and go back to off road, then so be it. But I want to race on road. I'd like to get deeper in it.

But I like the simplicity of the pan. In comparison, it's a set it and forget it world.
were you working during Midwest??
Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
were you working during Midwest??
Unfortunately, yes. I'd have been at the first 2 club races, but got weathered out. I was back on the truck for the third and MWS. I'll be back home next wednesdayish...
Old 05-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Unfortunately, yes. I'd have been at the first 2 club races, but got weathered out. I was back on the truck for the third and MWS. I'll be back home next wednesdayish...
yikes life on the road, latest experiment will the tooling from cal. or the diff from Europe get here first
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Default Political Debate?

I thought that was what this forum was all about!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aarcobra
I thought that was what this forum was all about!
look back too they early pages before us. a guy found the cars and thought this is a good alternative. now we argue over whats copied and what body is on it. by the way huge mac screen is great
Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

look back too they early pages before us. a guy found the cars and thought this is a good alternative. now we argue over whats copied and what body is on it. by the way huge mac screen is great

I'm just happy this thread is still revelent. I am pleased that the Pan class is alive in some parts of the country. I hope this class takes root and expands. I think it has potential as an alternative to the 4wd class.

Dale Jones
Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Default Sorry.....

It won't happen again....
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Default RIGHT ON! BROTHER!

Originally Posted by djmachinist
I'm just happy this thread is still revelent. I am pleased that the Pan class is alive in some parts of the country. I hope this class takes root and expands. I think it has potential as an alternative to the 4wd class.

Dale Jones
This class has so much to offer in both fun and cost. I thought the builders would have their cars up to speed by now, they're not getting any track time it seems. Wish they'd get a solid european unit so as to get in some high speed R&D.

Thanks for getting this idea planted. We do wander off subject at times, but I like that 2wd racer from all over are looking on and add good stuff in from time to time.

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.