Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
With all the traction issues I've had (some no doubt due in part to crap rubber) I'm wondering if anyone has tried a straight axle setup. I remember way back when we had to go to diffs because the things just wouldn't turn...fast forward to today and turning is the last problem on my mind. If anyone has tried that let me know...and I'm thinking I'll bring a straight axle setup to try out anyhow just to see what the car does, if it makes it a little more manageable.
Phil, If you're talking 1/8th 4wd, they're all straight axle with one way front axles. Your car has a diff ? I thought Dave did pretty good. Do your Edam cars have a set up sheet?

No problem with Pan cars. I'd place 99% of the problem on the rubber. Fix that first. You need some 45 fronts and 32 or 35 rears. There is a very good reason the pan car has a diff.
Good seeing you.
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Phil, If you're talking 1/8th 4wd, they're all straight axle with one way front axles. Your car has a diff ? I thought Dave did pretty good. Do your Edam cars have a set up sheet?

No problem with Pan cars. I'd place 99% of the problem on the rubber. Fix that first. You need some 45 fronts and 32 or 35 rears. There is a very good reason the pan car has a diff.
Good seeing you.
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
A straight axle pan car might be ok in the high spped corners but in the slow corners its either going to hop the rearend around or push like a dump truck.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hey

Good seeing you.
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Nah, the Edam is having no traction problems at all, or a diff...I've noticed 4wd is ridiculously easy to drive. I don't have a setup sheet for the things, but I figured by hanging around and asking questions we'll figure out all the high points of 4wd. Both Dave and I will be running them in the GLC and I have plenty of new rubber on hand for those, plus tons of spare parts, plus another car still in the box (looks like I'm picking up a distributorship for the things after all.)

Pan, on the other hand...I noticed in the second qualifier that I had less traction probs, but I'd tightened down on the diff a lot prior to the run. This is why I was wondering if a straight axle might do better and have less slip. The way I'm moving, it'll definitely be this winter before I have quality new foam on hand, tho I have enough of the old stuff left to get me through the rest of the year. However..I may see if I can talk Tom into making some rear wheel adapters for the Super J so I can run serpent style wheels and have more options for foam. If I could remember to use a tad more loctite where needed and get some rear traction I think "I could be a contender"...lol. And just at a glance, rear adapters shouldn't be too hard to make.

I thought Dave did pretty well for the most part, especially given his lack of driving time and a new car. But "back in the day," a newbie would spend some time working up through the ranks, and would usually get placed in a qualifier or main where his skills were on a par with the other drivers in that heat. I don't know that I'd have done much better out there with Hammer and Davis, as I said, it's a hell of a learning curve and a little like being a bar pool hack and then going to the nine ball championship....you hope to survive and that's about it.

We've still got our plans for building an economical 1/8 pan from scratch this winter but I need to get the bugs worked out and relearn everything I've forgotten over the years. In the meantime, it's still good to run laps and see some faces, old and new...love the new asphalt, lots of participation in setting back up, and we're happy to help wherever we can. I'm really impressed with how well pan is doing, there was a LOT of good racing going on in a field that was pretty well matched, and if reintroducing pan is an experiment, then I'd have to call it a huge success.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
A straight axle pan car might be ok in the high spped corners but in the slow corners its either going to hop the rearend around or push like a dump truck.
I remember my old SG that would only turn if you were completely out of the gas...if you cut one turn close, you'd never make the next turn. Still, I noticed my J hopping on some turns regardless (when I had the diff a little tighter) which is putting the problem back to foam. The way this year has turned out, there just hasn't been enough time for me to get better stuff lined up (work in the shop, helping Tom and Dave get up to speed, getting daughter through high school and into college, blah blah blah.) I'll try a few things out but I figure I won't get all my issues resolved until after the season when I have more time, I'll pick up a few things where I can in the meantime and hopefully be in better shape for next season. I'm still determined to get a handle on some quality foam so people can save a buck and fit rubber to their old rims, and I'll get there, it's just taking a little more time than I originally figured....
Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 AM
Tech Addict

Default bah humbug

In the meantime, till I get a grip on some decent foam...think I'll make adapters to fit the car so I can run the new rims on the rear. Should have thought of this option awhile back, in case I ran into problems, but oh well...and that'll settle one issue, at least.

Now if I can just learn how to drive....
Old 07-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

In the meantime, till I get a grip on some decent foam...think I'll make adapters to fit the car so I can run the new rims on the rear. Should have thought of this option awhile back, in case I ran into problems, but oh well...and that'll settle one issue, at least.

Now if I can just learn how to drive....
The very best rears can't make up for too soft of fronts. If you can get both ends set up with the right rubber, the driving will be there. 45 front and 35 rears will do the trick. How about Ass. molded fronts, remember them?

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

The very best rears can't make up for too soft of fronts. If you can get both ends set up with the right rubber, the driving will be there. 45 front and 35 rears will do the trick. How about Ass. molded fronts, remember them?

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
.....Are you talking about cat paws?..........i have one pair mounted and another pr new in package......
Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default Yeah

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
I made an oopsie..a set of the fronts I made up and ran I forgot to put a hard ring on the outside. I'll have another set made up for next weekend with a firmer (old) set that should do pretty good.

On the flip side, I can only figure out one way to adapt new stuff to the "J"...the diff side is the prob. I probably won't get that done in time but I'll have other rubber made up for running and see how that does.

On the flip side of the flip side...hmm...I may run 4wd next weekend and get Dave to run the J, I have a new motor I need broke in prior to the GLC plus some rubber compounds I need to test. Either way, as it stands, we'll be there.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
.....Are you talking about cat paws?..........i have one pair mounted and another pr new in package......
bring the 3oo on sun. i'll bring the adaptors you need uncut. please remind me
Old 07-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

Default Well

My memory is like a sieve...but if whoever is running the 300 and said he was out of foam (Matt?) will throw me an address, I'll mail a set of Delta rings so he can mount a set of rears....
Old 07-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

My memory is like a sieve...but if whoever is running the 300 and said he was out of foam (Matt?) will throw me an address, I'll mail a set of Delta rings so he can mount a set of rears....
dats me..........pm sent.............
Old 07-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

After running a few tanks today, all I have to say is DAMN!! THESE THINGS ARE FUN!

Thanks Lon for your impromptu help today. Your generosity with time and knowledge are priceless!

Now I need to paint up a few lids...
Old 07-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
After running a few tanks today, all I have to say is DAMN!! THESE THINGS ARE FUN!

Thanks Lon for your impromptu help today. Your generosity with time and knowledge are priceless!

Now I need to paint up a few lids...
just like chips can't have just 1
Old 07-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Regular

Default GT Stuff

Hay! Thanks to Noah, Joe, & Joe, I can put the GT bodies away. It would appear that the pan cars are more enjoyable with the Can Am type body and the guys just went to have fun! As a result, the Anti Monkey Butt car is coming back out. BEWARE!!
LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Just sitting here, waiting for my back to subside, and thinking about pan racing. Every now and then I get a real oddball idea that is pretty bad yet the more I think about it the more appealing it gets. Like..

...if we gave turn marshalls sledgehammers and their goal was to knock out cars rather than restore them to the track.

...would anyone notice if I installed one of those James Bond oil slick things in the back of my car and used it now and then.

...opposing teams of cars pushing something like a hockey puck towards a goal. We could even have a penalty pit for slamming opposing drivers.

...I saw Fonzie jump a motorcycle over a bunch of sharks once. With all that new asphalt, I think a shark tank would look really good in the middle of the backstraight, but getting volunteers to turn marshall that area may be a problem.

...a Death race/demolition derby type event, tho some people might say I'm already doing that by the way I drive sometimes.

I have even worse ideas, but I'll keep them to myself for the sake of the rooms' mental health....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.