Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charlie
Hi Guys,
So I've been back at Novak full time for a couple of weeks now and have sat down with the NovaLink and worked through some of the issues with a few customers over the phone, and via email. Looks like everything is working well, and we have posted a new NovaLink 1.4 Software, and a New Kinetic 1.4.1 firmware. These both seem to be sound and work well every time.

The main points folks have been missing are the basic window's updates. I actually go the microsoft website and run the update scan they have. This seems to have fixed most of the issues with any of the computers in house that would not run the update correctly. Most of the PC's I had problems with, were resolved after the system update and restart.
2nd issue, and its our own doing, the Firmware installation is a bit tricky. THe main thing is to simply drag and drop the RDD File if the self extractor does not to the trick.
Finally, make sure the USB device drivers on windows updates. This is done by the little balloons in the lower right hand. Make sure you get the balloon that states your new usb device is installed and ready to use.

Beyond those main topics, 1.4 has worked and worked well. Two basic scenarios happen when the install fails.

One, you'll get an ESC that shows no signs of life. The lights won't come on ever. These can usually be fixed by the latest 1.4 Novalink, and 1.4.1 firmware update.

Two, you'll get an ESC that only will flash all LED's 1 time and then be non responsive. These ESC's need to have the brain board replaced as something has been corrupted "somehow". I'm not 100% clear as to what is causing that particular issue, but I've seen it once or twice now and confirmed the issue via some returned ESCs.

SO, if you have any issues what so ever with Novalink, or the Kinetic Firmware process, Please email me directly, [email protected] and I'll do my best to trouble shoot your scenario and find the solution.
We all agree this process is a bit trickier then it needs to be for now, but we're working towards a more easy friendly process.

Download NovaLInk 1.4 Zip.
Open Drivers Folder, Run drivers file. This installs needed drivers.
Open the Install Folder, Run the Setup File, this will install NovaLink.

Download the Kinetic Firmware 1.4.1 Self Extractor. Run the Self Extractor File. It will "Unzip" the file to "C:\Program Files\Novak Electronics\NovaLink"
If the self extractor does not work, you can get the file alone and drag/drop into the same folder.

From Start/Programs/Novak Electronics run the Novalink Device Updater. Then make sure Windows says it's installed the drivers and ready to use. This happens when you first plug in the USB Device.

Now you're ready to update your ESC firmware.

Open NovaLink Program, and connect your ESC.

Click on the "Launch Firmware Updater" Icon that is on the top of the screen.

This opens a small window, click on the UPDATE button in the middle and let it run the updater.

When that is complete, click exit and unplug the ESC from the NovaLink.

Connect your ESC to a radio system and execute the "One Touch Setup".
Now, you're ready to use the NovaLink 1.4.

If you've already downloaded 1.4 previous to "today", uninstall, delete the Novak Electronics Folder, and re download and install the NovaLInk that was posted as of today.

Again, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email me with the issue you've encountered and the errors that report. [email protected]

1.4.1 should address operational gremlins in the ESC itself, and take care of the trick PC Interface issues as well.

Thanks
Charlie
pretty much just what i did, the one confusing thing is the 1.4 novalink, when i clicked on it, it told me if i had 1.3 i didn't need to download it. when i first installed the new 1.4 kinetic software it worked just just, when i went to show someone it wouldn't work no lite on esc, so i THEN updated the nova link to 1.4 and is fine now. I will delete everything and reinstall tomorrow, thanks for all the hard work.

see you at carpet nats?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Default 1.4.1

What is 1.4.1 for? I know the web site says the fix is "Checks for sensor harness on power up" but what do you mean by that? In what situation would that be helpful? Are there any other fixes?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Leithal
What is 1.4.1 for? I know the web site says the fix is "Checks for sensor harness on power up" but what do you mean by that? In what situation would that be helpful? Are there any other fixes?
Early next week, we will be releasing our updated NovaLink v1.4 press info describing all the software's new features and bug fixes.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Mac- Push enter after you type in the values. Anything you type, and is not from a pull down, you should push enter.

Sky- Perhaps. It's the same month as Cactus, but I'm hoping to be able to do both. If not, I know you can help everyone.....
Old 01-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Charlie
Mac- Push enter after you type in the values. Anything you type, and is not from a pull down, you should push enter.

Sky- Perhaps. It's the same month as Cactus, but I'm hoping to be able to do both. If not, I know you can help everyone.....
Thanks I have tried that. I have gotten it to change a couple of times. But it seems to be stuck now. Not really sure what else to do. Is there a way to do a hard reset of the controller?

When I get home tonight I will play with it some more.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default HELP!!!!

My kinetic seems to be stuck in a one touch setup loop. I'm in a major race weekend and was running the car making small steering adjustments when car stopped all of a sudden. There is a sequence of lights flashing. Turn off the esc and automatically goes into one touch setup and when that's done goes through a sequence of flashing lights. Now I'm screwed for the weekend. Any ideas how to fix.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Default 1.4.1 upgrade

Has anyone done the 1.4.1 upgrade and then done a connection test? Does it say 1.4.1 or does it still read 1.4?

I've done it several times but only see 1.4 no matter what I do and I have checked for 1.4.1 .rdd file and its in the Novalink folder.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sidewaze
My kinetic seems to be stuck in a one touch setup loop. I'm in a major race weekend and was running the car making small steering adjustments when car stopped all of a sudden. There is a sequence of lights flashing. Turn off the esc and automatically goes into one touch setup and when that's done goes through a sequence of flashing lights. Now I'm screwed for the weekend. Any ideas how to fix.

What was the flashing light sequence? They are all trouble codes to tell you what might be wrong.
Are you using a NovaLink? You have probably gone to default so your starting from scratch on one button setup.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Side: The button on the switch may be bad, stuck, or damaged in some way. Trying another switch. One from a GTB, or any other Novak switch with the plug will work.

Johnny: I can't say I've actually checked that but if it's working normally and getting no pop ups with the 1.4.1 firmware update, it should be 1.4.1 regardless. Email me if you're having any operational problems. [email protected]

If it's working fine, it's probably just a display error on the connection tester. Not my area of expertise though, but thank you for bringing this up.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Has anyone done the 1.4.1 upgrade and then done a connection test? Does it say 1.4.1 or does it still read 1.4?

I've done it several times but only see 1.4 no matter what I do and I have checked for 1.4.1 .rdd file and its in the Novalink folder.
It will only show 1.4
We may add the third digit display some time in the future
Adnan
Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sidewaze
It sounds like the OT button is shorted.
You may just remove the Yellow wire from the 3 pin connector.
Adnan
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

What would cause the motor to slightly cut out during high RPMs? I just installed the new version 1.4.1 and was kind of bench testing it to make sure the timing advance was working and on one Kinetic it runs fine but the other it cuts out a little bit. It might be possibly a weak transmitter signal , I am about 9.6v and I and I left the charger at the shop but just wondering aside from that what might be the cause? I also have installed the new boards that Novak sent me, I got them yesterday.

Thanks
Jeremiah Ward

It was weak radio batteries, works perfect now

Thanks
Jeremiah Ward

Last edited by ThrottleKing; 01-22-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This should be the 0.1.4.1 alpha release, but thanks for the effort guys. Drove my TC w/1.4 and the thing really was ballistic. I mean, we're talkin' f'n fast here.

That one dude can take his 8 ball and shove it up his
Old 01-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Leithal
Now we only check for sensor harness connection to the speed controller on power up.This is done to prevent the speed controller from going into fail safe due to momentary sensor harness connection failure or bad commutation information, We also think at time static electricity from carpet and tire is causing bad sensor information being sent to the speed controller. The new firmware address's that.
Our rotor lock sensing software will still protects esc due to wiring problems.
Adnan
Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

ut oh, what did i do???

i only get three lights now on the esc with in sportsman mode, no white lights, and it seems the rpms are down, way down.

help me,

it was fine before i downloaded the 1.4.1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.