Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Kinetic

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

The parameters indicated in the error message, Start RPM, End RPM, Boost Rate, Applied Timing and Turbo Mode are not listed as any of the parameters that I can see in the software. Where are they? Or are they the parameters listed on the advanced tab under different names? If they were out of range, I don't know where to alter the values. I'm not having that error message anymore, but it still begs the question, where are they?

How long does it take to update the settings? The blue circle just keeps going round and round. 15 min or so at this point. It never finishes updating.

I've got a 64bit Vista laptop that won't run the software, and an XP workstation that will update the firmware but doesn't seem to want to update the settings. I guess I'm screwed on both machines. 32bit app's are supposed to run on 64bit Vista, says MS, but Novaks site says 32bit only. I get Unhandled Exception errors when I try and do anything in the software. The program will open, I just can't do anything with it.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GLOWHEAD
The parameters indicated in the error message, Start RPM, End RPM, Boost Rate, Applied Timing and Turbo Mode are not listed as any of the parameters that I can see in the software. Where are they? Or are they the parameters listed on the advanced tab under different names? If they were out of range, I don't know where to alter the values. I'm not having that error message anymore, but it still begs the question, where are they?

How long does it take to update the settings? The blue circle just keeps going round and round. 15 min or so at this point. It never finishes updating.

I've got a 64bit Vista laptop that won't run the software, and an XP workstation that will update the firmware but doesn't seem to want to update the settings. I guess I'm screwed on both machines. 32bit app's are supposed to run on 64bit Vista, says MS, but Novaks site says 32bit only. I get Unhandled Exception errors when I try and do anything in the software. The program will open, I just can't do anything with it.
The only time I saw a message like that is when starting from scratch, and then I just assumed it was because I had not set any inputs prior to that, so I ignored the message.

The blue circle is usually completed within 15-20 seconds, any longer or no completion message, I exit out and re-connect, when I do this the settings I have changed seem to be applied.

I really can't answer your computer issue, I use the cheapest notebook known to man, and truthfully, don't really run into many link/update issues, ie it works very well for me.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

No it's not updating the settings. I go back in and the cutoff voltage keeps going back to 6.something volts. Do you get a small window pop up with an 'ok' button when you press update? In front of the blue circle? I called Novak this morning and noone returned my call. I guess I can set some of this stuff with the one touch programming, seems like a pain.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

No it's not updating the settings. I go back in and the cutoff voltage keeps going back to 6.something volts. Do you get a small window pop up with an 'ok' button when you press update? In front of the blue circle? I called Novak this morning and noone returned my call. I guess I can set some of this stuff with the one touch programming, seems like a pain.

Remember that you have to do your change, such as the voltage and then tab or move to another box or it won't take your change, ie, select the voltage you want, then move to the drive freq box, like your going to do a change there.

I get no "ok" message when I do a update, I get the blue circle, when completed it says your sc has been updated and the screen refreshes.

Novak was still off today as where most companies because of new years. They should be back tomorrow.

Make sure that your running rdd.1.3 file in your Novalink folder, and have the right drivers installed.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Heres my modified carpet set up. 70X30ish track low 9 sec laps. Set up is very nice to drive, smooth, but has the rip when you get on the throttle and want to get moving

Ballistic 4.5 neutral motor timing
Drag brake 15%
Minimum drive 1%
Linear throttle/brake curve
current limit 2
Drive frequency 13.8
Start timing 7500
End timing 25000
Timing 8
No boost
8.8 FDR
Old 01-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Kinetis 2s vs. 1s

Which would be best used in 1/12? I'm about to buy and was thinking better to have the 2s with smart boost and have a backup controller for my TC. What is the advantage to running the 1s over the 2s.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I see no advantage as they are the same footprint and both have a cap that needs a lace to be mounted but, the 1s heat sink is lower but not by mutch and the cap I think is a little smaller. You would be ok with the 2s version. I use 2s in both my 1/12 and WGT and an original non lipo GTB in my 1/12 mod car without problems. I like you want a back up for my GTB's in the dirt cars should something go wrong and I need to pull one from the onroad cars. It makes good sense and I don't believe there is a price difference either.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Has anyone had any fires with their kinetic esc?
A young guy from our club was racing today at the racing lines international meeting in auckland, he had only done 3 laps when his kinetic caught fire.. it was so hot the wires melted off the esc.... this was basically his 1st race meeting with this speedy.
His gearing was 5.2:1 which is very slow for the track for 13.5t brushless, and there was no contact with any other car ...
The battery was a IP 5600 50c 2s lipo.... there was about 6 cars on track at the time.

just a note to all .be very careful with this esc?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

My first one caught on fire and was a complete meltdown. No reason, it just gave up the ghost.

My replacement has been fine since then, touch wood.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default K1S/K2S Info

For anyone that has done a update on either their K1S or K2S and has found that after their update the steering works but no throttle, try doing a ESC setup, then go back and do your profile changes. I had this happen to me last night, one time it gave me a calibration reset message, but another time it didn't.

Its a bit of a hassle since when you do the setup you default out of your custom profile, but at least the speed control isn't toast.

This has happened to me more times on the K1S, but has happened very rarely with my K2S as well.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

We just uploaded the rev 1.4 to our web site please install this update on your pc and yes it work on Windows 7 64 bit.

This update requires you to update the firmware in the esc also.
Follow the link below

http://www.teamnovak.com/download/NovaLink/index.html

Adnan
Old 01-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default Kinetic 1.4 update

NovaLink 1.4 Fixes:

- Added new & improved user interface

- Added data transmission correction to improve error correction

- Added RPM Trip Point for the Current Limit

- Added Timing Curve for a custom timing

- Added configuration options

- Added Windows 7 64-bit compatibility

- Fixed screen resolution issue with scrollbars

- Fixed all reported bugs as of January 6, 2011

Adnan
Old 01-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys,
I have downloaded the software and loaded on my comptuer, but I don't see the firmware on the web site to download.
Is there a link to the actual firmware?

Now I cannot use my speed controller, as I need 1.4 firmware to use the 1.4 software program. Please update quickly as I am racing in a few hours and want to test it. 1.4 software doesn't work with 1.3 ESC Firmware... means I might have to uninstall 1.4 software to and go back to 1.3 if it lets me...

More: Uninstalled V1.4 and installed V1.3 software but I have already used the Novalink device updater for V1.4, meaning I now cannot communicate with my ESC Firmware V1.3.

I am racing in 1.5hr, so again very disappointed. Guess I won't be making the race meeting unless ESCMAN updates the Novak web site with 1.4V Firmware.

Last edited by JBM Racing; 01-07-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by escman
We just uploaded the rev 1.4 to our web site please install this update on your pc and yes it work on Windows 7 64 bit.

This update requires you to update the firmware in the esc also.
Follow the link below

http://www.teamnovak.com/download/NovaLink/index.html

Adnan
Sounds great but it looks like the firmware hasn't been posted yet.

Or are we suppose to use the 1s 1.4 beta firmware?
Old 01-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I just downloaded 1.4 in the last half hour without issue. All the pieces too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.