Novak Kinetic

Old 08-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with the software needing a good kick in the butt. Its not easy to install. I also dont find it to be too forgiving as far as hooking things up.

But the esc really works. I'm not sure the unit has been available long enough for the company to make updates.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

I'm not having any more issues. If you are having trouble connecting, completely reset the ESC by reseting the endpoints. That puts the ESC to the default settings. Should work fine after that. The only problem I have to work out now is a little cogging when the Boost in on.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Just had to adjust the dead band a little. Works great with the boost now. This thing drives like it has a 7.5 in it!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Tech Regular

I've been a fan of Novak right back to the GT7 when I started racing and I've used nothing since. The GTB was faultless and never had a wobble.

I can't help feeling the release of the Kinetic was slightly rushed. One unexplained ESC fire, lucky not to damage the rest of my car and equipment and now this weird Novalink error.

I agree that the ESC has massive potential and hopefully once the software both on the ESC and the novalink is sorted it will be as good as previous Novak kit.

Unfortunately I resent paying £200 to partake in Novak's R&D on this product
Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For people having problems. I would be forwarding this all to NOVAK. And I would also note on here some other information like computer, windows version, weather or not you know what .NET is. So far I have had no issues with installing or getting the program to function. The only minor glitch where before I updated the firmware on the controller. I would also suggest using the disconnect button in the software.

Before you install the novalink software, go to windows update and install all the .NET updates. Then you will not need the .NET fix that comes with the link.

Here are somethings that I think should work differently.

Firmware and software version should automatically check for updates. Every other piece of software that I use can do this. (After updating the controller it no longer displays the "kinetic v1.1" at the bottom of the screen, just keeps saying "intializing" even when it is actually connected and ready to program.)
Old 08-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Did you guys notice the a13 update available?, Looks like it was added on the 26th. I added it this morning.

Did not notice much of a change, but the update block did show my speed control updating. The pesky thing called work will prevent me from seeing what this did!

I wish they would have a short note telling what the update was about. I'd hate to click on somethinggn and have a box pop up saying, "Thanks for joining the Taliban."....not that Novak woudl do thsi to us, but they could.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcannon409
Did you guys notice the a13 update available?, Looks like it was added on the 26th. I added it this morning.

Did not notice much of a change, but the update block did show my speed control updating. The pesky thing called work will prevent me from seeing what this did!

I wish they would have a short note telling what the update was about. I'd hate to click on somethinggn and have a box pop up saying, "Thanks for joining the Taliban."....not that Novak woudl do thsi to us, but they could.
I know what you mean/are you sure it worked? I removed update a11 from the NovaLink folder and the updater would not work. If I put a11 back in the NovaLink folder with a13 the updater starts, but since it does not say what update file its applying, I did not go through with the update.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by pmes
I know what you mean/are you sure it worked? I removed update a11 from the NovaLink folder and the updater would not work. If I put a11 back in the NovaLink folder with a13 the updater starts, but since it does not say what update file its applying, I did not go through with the update.
I BELIEVE it did, but as you say, who knows? The numbers at the top still look like a date from the 1970's. No idea what else was changed. I plugged in the controller, updated it, and no problems. But like you are saying, no way to really tell what happened.

The "date" at the top says 1/2/1970 and I did notice a small beep when disconnecting.

Last edited by rcannon409; 08-27-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Company Representative

I posted this email address above: [email protected]. Any software suggestions are better handled by contacting the developer team directly.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Company Representative

I forwarded the comments upthread to our developers and received this response:

The new Version 1.3 software update for the Nova Link and Kinetic firmware is up on our web site; we will be posting the bug fix description later today.

Keep in mind, the Kinetic and NovaLink have only been available for a few weeks; our programmers are busily fixing the bugs we have found. I would ask that customers allow us the same courtesy as you have allowed other manufacturers in fixing their software issues.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I agree, Tekin had issues, SP had issue, god knows LRP had issues, heck, even brand new released chassis's had issues.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
I forwarded the comments upthread to our developers and received this response:

Keep in mind, the Kinetic and NovaLink have only been available for a few weeks; our programmers are busily fixing the bugs we have found. I would ask that customers allow us the same courtesy as you have allowed other manufacturers in fixing their software issues.
No worries. I don't know anyone that has a perfect experience with any other manufacturer. And all I can say is the Tekin interface is still bad and won't probably be fixed for a while. And it does not consistently update the controller. I always apply, unplug, replug to make sure the settings actually got to the controller. The SP guys tell me they do the apply after every change as some versions of their software would not actually change the settings until applied again. The only one that I have used that has never had connection problems, at least for me, is the Castle Mamba. I have had firmware problems, but this is different than connection problems.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

ED- WE GET TO RACE TOMORROW. See ya there
Old 08-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Honestly in many cases it isn't until LOTS of different people on different computers get to sink their teeth into a computer program that bugs are found.

The time we all put in now will will return to us in the form of a program that has been tweaked and polished by the most important and knowledgeable people the racers.

I for one would like to thank Novak and their incredible effort to be in these forums everyday listening and helping the people that obviously matter most, you and me the customers.

Now I need to go download the newest version~!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default Kinetic

Last edited by mikecatts; 09-16-2010 at 05:10 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.