Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
the oil hole in the con rod faces the crank pin. Correct? >

the oil hole in the con rod faces the crank pin. Correct?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

the oil hole in the con rod faces the crank pin. Correct?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default the oil hole in the con rod faces the crank pin. Correct?

or the crank in general for that matter.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yes. Also the cut out in the bottom of the piston skirt faces the crank as well.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

tore down my JAMMIN .28 after a successful race season. found that the piston's curf cut faces the front(which is always correct) BUT THAT THE OIL HOLE IN THE ROD FACES THE REAR OF THE ENGINE...?? called nitrohouse about this(they are ofna/picco experts). they confirmed that this is correct..i thought that it was wrong from the company. they told me that PICCO does this on some of their engine lines.....
Old 10-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Default probably - look for other clues too

dreaux
I think in general this is true. I just took apart my OS this week and my oil hole faces the crank or think of it facing the front of the engine. I put a marker dot on the side of the rod you see when you take the backplate off to make sure I put it in right. BUT I quickly noticed one other clue that makes me feel better remembering putting it back in. The backing plate has some wear marks that you can see but not feel from the rod brushing up against the plate. The bottom of the rod by the bushing has the same marks. Absolutely no way of mistaking which way it goes in now. Also the skirt comment on the piston is true of most engines.
Make sure when you put it back together you turn it over by hand a couple of times to make sure nothing like the skirt or anything catches and stops it from rotating!
Old 10-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Alex, that's a new one on me. Never heard of that before.

There is another way to tell which way the rod goes. If you look closely at the lower rod bushing you will see that it has a rounded chamfer on one side and not on the other. The chamfer must face the crank to match the rounded shoulder where the crank pin meets the face of the crank.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I think if it's under water it's reversed. I'm not sure but sounds good to me.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

It only matters if you look closely up under the skirt and you see Willy Nelson.I knew a guy that wore mirrors on his shoes. Actually I just put the piston in my speed in bacwards and ran 3 quarts through it, luckily no damage but it just didn't run right. switched it around and all is fine. Black tuned it up today and WOW it runs incredible ... it will idle forever.