Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My TC3 is sundersteering on my during wide corners

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Default My TC3 is sundersteering on my during wide corners

My TC3 is really understeering on me during wide corners. Can u help me with wat's wrong with it?
Old 02-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I could be a number of things, you're going to have to be more specific im afraid.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

well, the back is spinnin alot more than the front when i'm going into the corners. Hope that could be enough. Tell me if u want me to say more. I'm still kind of new to electric cars.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We will need to know what ur running as far as setup and what kinda track ur running on wouldnt hurt.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

I knoticed you are in Southern California... what track are you running? what setup are you running? are you running an one-way diff in the front? are you on or off of the throttle in the "wide corners". any info would be helpfull...

I run mostly at SoCal. If your track is like that, i can give you my setup that i run there...
Old 02-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

I use a TC3 with no one way in the front, I run street like at OC Cuircuit. here's the site: www.socal.rcraceing.com I migh try to go to SoCal later, Nathen Sipan is my friend who usually goes there on Tuesdays and Saturdays. When i was going wide into the corners, i let the car coast into the corner then slowly pull on the throttle. I know better than to punch it right away. But it still makes me understeer. If u need anymore info about my car, tell me.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Tech Regular

webite: http://socal.rcracing.com/Page.cfm
Old 02-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

Try adjusting the front ride height just slightly, if the car has traction in the front and the rear slides, raise the front ride height, if the rear has traction and the front pushes add to the rear, simple but effective! hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

yea I have been out to CO Circuit to check out the track. My buddies and I are going to race there next month. From what I know about that track and from some of my buddies that race there, the SoCal setup works well. I used to have that same problem. I found a lot of it was driving style. With a regular diff in the front, try not to let off the throttle too much in long fast turns because the wheels will spin at different rates and make the rear end fell loose. Ride height and droop will help too. OC Circuit is a smooth high bite track so try to set up the car stiff. Also if you put an one way diff in the front it will help you maintain speed in and out of the turns. Below is my setup... hope it helps you out.

in the front:
1 way diff, rear shock tower in the front, blue springs, shock position is in the middle hole of the tower, ride height is 4.5 to 5mm, droop is 6 to 6.5, f-0 block, 4 degrees of caster, 2 degrees of camber, 0 degrees of toe, and I run the front sway bar.

in the rear:
silver springs, shock position is in the middle hole of the tower, 1 degree of camber, r+3+2 block, center wheel base, ride height is 5 to 6mm, droop is 4 to 4.5, and rear sway bar.

That works really nice at SoCal and from what I hear at CO Circuit. If the rear end is still kind of loose, try placing the batteries all the way towards the rear. If it is still loose, you can put the rear shock position all the way in. but remember the softer the rear is the more the car will push. Also, you might want to try running a softer compound tire in the winter. I use Sorex 32r's.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

Thankx Discotew. Wat's ur real name? I'll see u at the tack next month. At OC cuircuit. My name is Matt. I'll race in intermidiate race. Hope u will too. Unless ur wayyy better than i am. I'm 14. Glasses. That should cover of how i look lik.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

Matt, my real name is Jay. You are welcome. I hope all the info I gave you helps. I just got back into RC around 5 or 6 months ago. I use to race off road. So on road was new to me too and driving it is way different than off road. the thing I had to work on was being on the throttle way more and don't hit the breaks unless it is totally necessary! I race intermediate at SoCal so I will probably enter the same at OC Circuit.

I learned how to setup my car by asking a ton of people what I was doing wrong at the track. with a ton of help in the pits from really fast guys and trial and error, that is how I learned how to setup my car. So see what is best for you.

Hope to see you at OC Circuit. I usually drive a blue and yellow painted sedan (Mazda 6 or Alfa 2.0) and I am old... well if 34 is old...

If you are still having problems with your car, me or my buddies might be able to give you a hand...
Old 02-15-2004, 02:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by DT-Skyline
I use a TC3 with no one way in the front, I run street like at OC Cuircuit.

Well that is prolly 1/2 your prob. The best way to understand the prob is to find a friend who has a real 4WD car. Sit in it (it must be in 4WD) and ask him to do a tight turn. The car will hop and skip during the turn. This is because the front wheels travel a greater distance than your rear wheels when turning and something has to give... so one wheel has to slip. There is only one real solution to your prob. get a one-way. This will allow ALL FOUR WHEELS to stay in contact with the surface while cornering and no matter how you change your set-up you can't achive that any other way.

about 80% of your car setup is your tyres... find out what works and use it... then set your car up to use the grip you have avalible.

NOTE: When you change to using a oneway, you are going to have probs with setup (well you are likely to anyway). Stick with it and get your car working and you will be pleased with the performance increase.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

dragonfire, what inserts do you use at northside?
Old 02-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Tech Regular

Thankx for the tip dragon. Well, i was always nthinkin about going 1 way but 1st i asked a few ppl who had it 1st. I asked Ian Aquicno(from the team TAOB) he sayed it took him awhile to get used to the 1 way. I know alot of ppl i race with hav 1 ways.(makes me jeolous ) My other friend, Nathen Sipan(aka AirNate or Natedogg) aslo has a 1 way in his TC3. I asked him and he sayed i was too young to use it(yea right, i'm 14 and getting better in every race)

The tire inserts you asked me for that i use are HPI Pro Molded Inner Foams. I was also using with those inserts, HPI Racing Slick Belted Tire 26mm. I heard from some friends of mine that thy use Sorex 32 or 36 with Xenon inserts. Are they good? Must be
Old 02-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

DT-Skyline:

I can't comment on what inserts work where becasue its more to do with what you like the feel of and how your car is setup as to what inserts "work". I recommend sorex rubber above all else. pits are also good but lack the stability.

Try sorex HARD A inserts to start with and work from there. If you try to copy someone else.. also look at how their car is setup (hard, soft, higg/low rollcenter) becasue that insert may not work for your car if your setup is different.

good luck anyway

dontfeelcold:

Custom made inserts. they start off being sorex hard B inserts but they r modified to radically improve corner speed but maintain grip. I belive you would have seen the evidence of that once or twice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.