Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hex Set to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

As much as I like HUDY stuff (I run XRay rigs)...I'm leaning towards EDS at this point. I can get more tools for the same money...and most people I have talked to that have been using EDS for awhile love them.

I know the Hudy Spring Steel is awesome (tons of it all over my rigs), but if the EDS work every remotely close to the same as Hudy and hold up just as well or close to as well...I'll get more bang for my buck buying the EDS Tools.

I'm going to inspect a set in person at this weekend's race and decide from there I think. I can either get the 8 piece Metric Hudy set, or a 12 piece EDS (metric and SAE) with a Tool bag for @ the same price....
Old 10-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

I had a chance to work with the RC Pro tools this past weekend wrenching for Ryan Lutz and can say they will be my next tool purchase.

But it's like the whole Snap On vs. MAC vs. Matco vs. Craftsman debate.

Guys just like to zip down the proverbial tool box fly and whip out their "Snap On" and say "Look at my way over priced tools that do the same job as something less expensive."

To edit; This is also why these same guys have a bumper sticker on their tool box that says "Don't even ask to borrow my Snap On's" This is because they will have to wait until next paycheck to replace it if it doesn't come back.....

Last edited by Racecrafter; 10-08-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have a set of eds tips for mympower driver and I don't like them. They fit too tight in the hex screws. The screw gets stuck on the tip and it is very difficult to get off. For the power driver tips I switched to mip and they work great. I see hudy finally got on board with power tips but I don't need any more so until the mip tips wear out I'll stick with them. But in my opinion the eds tips are too tight. Anyone else have this experience?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

RC Pro was on my list too....they look just like the EDS set for less money. So many to choose from....all I know is the tiny little L-Shaped hexes have GOT to go now ;-)
Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Prophet

whats wrong with the alumium red dynamite hex wreches there pretty hard to strip the tip out,dont get the plastic 12.00 dynamite hexs though they will strip
Old 10-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
I had a chance to work with the RC Pro tools this past weekend wrenching for Ryan Lutz and can say they will be my next tool purchase.

But it's like the whole Snap On vs. MAC vs. Matco vs. Craftsman debate.

Guys just like to zip down the proverbial tool box fly and whip out their "Snap On" and say "Look at my way over priced tools that do the same job as something less expensive."

To edit; This is also why these same guys have a bumper sticker on their tool bax that says "Don't even ask to borrow my Snap On's" This is because they will have to wait until next paycheck to replace it if it doesn't come back.....
LOL.

I live on Snap On combo wrenches and ratchets. Their 1/4 inch ratchet sets are a life saver. A stupid combo wrench deosn't look like it could work better than the cheap stuff. But it deos, bigtime. Most of my sockets are Kobalt, Craftsmen, etc. the Snap-On sockets only come out for special occasions. But thier Combo wrenches are allays in my hand.

Those have to be quality. But most of the rest of my fastener tools are Harbor Freight.

Never throw out the L angle wrenches that come with kits. They are often sized wrong (Which can be handy when the proper size quits working.), but I've found that when an allen bolt starts to round out. That usually its one of those cheapo L wrenches that can be hammered in to get that bolt out.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Everyone raves about the Hudy tools but I hate the round knurled handles they (and most others) use. I went with the Losi drivers as they had a handle shaped similar to the MIP (very comfortable) tools but the tips were replaceable. Just something else to consider.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by madweazl
Everyone raves about the Hudy tools but I hate the round knurled handles they (and most others) use. I went with the Losi drivers as they had a handle shaped similar to the MIP (very comfortable) tools but the tips were replaceable. Just something else to consider.
=

The only reason why I went with the EDS - is because my Losi set just feels to short......
Old 10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by token
=

The only reason why I went with the EDS - is because my Losi set just feels to short......
Are the EDS much longer? Same handles as the Hudy's
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

EDS are 120mm long. That's pretty good. I like the feel of the Losi wrenches I have, but they are too short, and not nearly as tough as I'd like them to be.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MotoGod
EDS are 120mm long. That's pretty good. I like the feel of the Losi wrenches I have, but they are too short, and not nearly as tough as I'd like them to be.
The RC Pro drivers are 120mm also.

Your right there isn't much on the net about the RC Pro tools. I consider that good! As many sets as we have sold and no one knocking them says something. Out of 500 sets I have had 6 drivers with problems and 4 of those were our sponsored guys. Just because we have cheap prices doesn't mean the product is cheap! I could have jacked the prices up with everyone elses but as long as RC Pro and the shops can make a reasonable profit why be greedy?
Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MotoGod
If/when the tips start failing I'll probably replace them with Hudy tips but I'm not letting go of the handles Wish they made a philips screw driver I did see ball drivers for 2.5mm and 3/32 today so I'll be picking those up today.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

What about O'Donnell tools? I will be buying a set to replace my worn out hudy tools.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Go for silver steel regardless of brand.

Mip are by far the best hex wrenches.

Hudy hexes wore out faster than any wrench i've had.

I still have hudy but, replace them with mip as they wear out.

I like the hudy sockets and specialty stuff, just the hexes suck.

Are the hudy hexes spring steel? they dont look like it. the sockets do.

Nothing wrong with dynamite.

Integy and anything gold dont last.

These are just my observations and opinions.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been using an old cordless drill with a good clutch and the tips from the $6 dynamite wrenches and just throw away the red aluminum handles.

You also have a drill whenever you need one.

I have a small 12v cordless drill that is 10yrs old and works awesome, with the clucth at its lighest setting you will never strip a screw.

I have Built and maintained all of my cars with this setup and it works well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.