Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is there alternative ways to measure toe? >

Is there alternative ways to measure toe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there alternative ways to measure toe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 04:21 AM
Tech Addict

Default 2 Tri Squares

I thought I would read this topic to find a better way, but I guess Not.

I use 2 carpenters squares on a steel ruler. I bought them for $1 each, then used BOTH squares on the same ruler. This gives me an adjustable scale so it works on all my cars. I almost always set my toe to 0 or " a little in" or " a little out" so I can't tell you how many dagrees, but i have a good idea and am sure when I am at 0.

These are Tri squares that come on a steel ruler, or Machinest square. they usually have a 90 and a 45 angle and slide up and down the ruler.

David Root
Old 02-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

IN a snap, I have used a calipers to compare the front to the rear distances. RPM actually sells a toe in gauge for about $10 too. Finally, you can put the car on it's side and place a bubble level on the front tire to get a good idea if it's level or not. But with this method, you need to make sure the wheel nuts on the bottom side are recessed to the rims are sitting flush.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

Wink MUST..........USE............GAGE!!!!!!!!!!

I've tried using every quirky method ever invented but my cars always wanted to turn one way better than another or I couldn't get my steering geometricly symetrical. I broke down and got the Integy set up gages (billet aluminum not plexiglass) for about 60.00 and have never regretted it since!!!!!! BTW I used to have those schumacher gages and the best I could do was set the rear toe then put on wheels with unwarped rims and set the front toe by adjusting by eye to the same place on the rear wheels. This is of course only good if all the other factors are straight (caster, camber, droop, ride height and rack/bellcrank symetry). Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

How do you guys adjust the toe in/out? i turn the screw clockwise or counter clockwise (small adjustment) on either one of the 2 screws at the side of the wheel mount. Is that the area to turn? i had read that the proper way is to adjust the wheel rod, suspension arms mounts or hub carrier.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

i havn't tried this yet, but i think it might work and could potentially be pretty accurate. get a set of virgin rims with no cracks/scratches or dents and go and mount them onto your car. you don't want tires to be mounted because tires stick out further than the rim and can be slightly inconsistant with its give. get a piece of paper and draw a centre line where you can centre your car onto lengthwise. now get a ruler, preferably metal as they seem to be the most consistant and dont seem to ever get dents, and place it horizontally against which ever rim youre testing the toe on(don't worry, ill supply a picture to better explain my madness). with the ruler, you get a more accurate measure of the toe because you can extend the tires line even further than the rim. with some math you can find out the toe on each wheel and so you can have better symmetricity from one side to the other instead of the checking overall toe from one tire to the other. does it work? i dunno, maybe, i havn't tried it and i havn't taken math in along time, but i THINK it works. as for the math, itd probably be something like take the number from the outside of the axle to the centreline, and compare it to the number at lets say...20cm out. now take the difference between the 2 numbers, and you have the height of a triangle, the 20cm is the length of the triangle, and the hypothenus you can solve with asquared + bsquared = csquared, and with all those numbers you can solve for the angle. either that or just use a marker/pen/pencil, mark all the points, and take a compass and check the angle. whichever floats your boat.

Last edited by SSJChar; 09-05-2006 at 02:43 AM.