Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Xipp Battery Zapper- is it a worthy investment? >

Xipp Battery Zapper- is it a worthy investment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xipp Battery Zapper- is it a worthy investment?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Post Xipp Battery Zapper- is it a worthy investment?

guys: any feedback on the xipp battery zapper? does it really bring back the punch out of the batteries? any info would highly be appreciated. thanks
Old 02-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I talked with someone who owns one and he said is does work well on older batteries that have lost their "zip". Yesterday I ordered one. Horizon sells it for $144.00.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was selling a used one for a friend and couldnt resist the temptation and I zapped a few old packs and they all went up on voltage on the next cycle. I think one went from 6.89 to 6.99 or so. Or from a 1.148 to a 1.165 on a very old practice pack. But the pack also lost some run time too. But the cycle-then zap and recycle all were within 3 days time too. So pack didnt get a lot of rest.

I would say its worth the money if you keep packs around a long time!!

Ray
Old 02-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

I have one of those & love it. It does work well on older bats. Another thing to take into consideration is the fact that Integy is in the process of developing an add-on to the zapper that will zapp motor can magnet. It is in their website.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

It is called "MAGNET XAPPER MODULE" $89.99 here's the link:

http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...10104029693.e2
Old 02-12-2004, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Interesting. Wonder if it'll work with the DCX3300?
Old 02-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

They have said coming soon for at least a year probably more. I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

just wondering, how often do you guys zap your cells? do use the zapper on ur matched cells?

barug: pag bumili ka ng zapper pazap din sa track ha
Old 02-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

barug / evaa: i just got a used xipp zapper. i havent tried it yet, care to volunteer your batts as guinea pigs j/k

i found these links re. the zapper ...

http://www.integy.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000272.html

http://www.integy.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000040.html

im still looking for more info on how to properly use it as i dont want to fry my batts.

zapper owners: do you guys know of a step-by-step on how to properly zap nicads and nimhs? im gonna use it on my unmatched and unzapped sanyo 2400s and GP3300s.

since my cells are unzapped in the first place, will the maintennance zapper do any good? or will it work only for initially zapped cells? also, ive read that you have to tray the cells first then zap them, correct? do i have to wait for the pack voltage to stabilize before zapping or can i zap right away after coming off the tray?

finally, how often should i zap? after how many cycles before i zap again?

thanks for any info
Old 02-13-2004, 05:13 AM
Tech Addict

I haven't used my since the 3300s came out (thus a while) but am going to experiment again. You need to tray your cells down to the light being dim (or .9 on one of the new trays) and then zap them.

It doesn't matter if the batteries were initially zapped or not. It is a totally different zapping. It just 'cleans up' some of the chemical reactions inside of the cell.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

i used the zapper for the first time this afternoon. well, the good news is, im still in one piece , no electrical shocks or anything. i was reading the manual, well, actually a sheet of paper with some instructions and i was at first hesistant to use it on my own because of the warnings indicated.

the bad news is, i cannot go out and test the batterys on the track for at least two weeks because of prior obligations

instead of running the batts on my car, can i see results when i cycle the batts? what numbers do i expect to go up - run time, average voltage, or both? do i expect the IR to go down? are these improvements gonna be drastic, if any? im using an eagle CDC charger and i took down readings before i zapped the batteries. the zapper "manual" said to wait at least 72 hours before matching, so i guess ill have to wait, too, before i cycle.

i trayed the batts first then after a few minutes, proceeded to zap them one by one. one question - how long should i wait before i zap the next cell? after arming the switch and pushing it, the cap voltage never went to zero, it just hovered around .9v and below, but not zero. i waited for a few minutes but it still didnt display zero voltage. to be safe, i zapped each cell in five minute intervals. is this correct?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

this thing has been around for awhile. they may have upgraded it from the model that i have, but i think it's essentially the same. it will help your voltage go down, but this is temporary. you'll notice the voltage start to creep up again, and you'll notice your packs start losing that punch. i wouldn't use this on new cells, or even race cells. i'd use 'em for packs you don't really care for. oh yeah, i used these on the first generation of 3000 stock metal hydrides.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

finally got to cycle my newly zapped batts these are about a year old unmatched 2400 nicads that i zapped with 50 volts. after cycling in my eagle cdc charger, results are:

before zapping:
discharge @ 20 amps, 1840 mah, 06:11 discharge time, 6.421 ave volts, 57 IR, 7.531 volts at rest

after zapping:
discharge @ 20 amps, 1707 mah, 5:42 discharge time, 6.640
ave volts, 43 IR, 7.624 volts at rest

capacity and runtime went down but ave. volts increased by 0.219 volts (or .0365 volts per cell) and IR went down by 14 (from 57 to 43). these are well used but well maintained cells and i was happy to see some improvements in voltage and internal resistance. i was worried that discharged time went down by almost 30 seconds but i guess i can gain that back by peaking before the race. im not sure if i will notice the increase in voltage on the track but its nice to know that my old 2400s improved a bit
Old 02-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Xipp Battery Zapper- is it a worthy investment?

Originally posted by barug
guys: any feedback on the xipp battery zapper? does it really bring back the punch out of the batteries? any info would highly be appreciated. thanks
Yes it does work, quite well. We are currently using it to zap our new GP cells, but in a short time from now will be replacing it by a custom engineered solution. (Anyone want to buy a used one??) On new GP cells you can one-tenth of a voltage increase (1.50 to 1.60) On used cells the results seem to vary but generally it does seem to increase voltage and run-time temporarily.

I can give a pretty detailed explanation of how cell zapping works, if anyone is interested..

Last edited by ghuber; 02-21-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Post away! Love to hear the theory on the process of battery zapping (maintenance zapping not initial high current zapping the matchers use) for both Nicad and NiMih cells.

And of course since you let the cat out of the bag how about the custom engineered solution? Theory on that would be nice to hear. Will you be offering these to the public (assuming it is related to GP3300 maintenance)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.