Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree108Likes

Team fantom racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It was a new motor and I was running it in my SC10. After the pics I tried to bend the can more to stop the stator movement and it didn't work. I am thinking that some type of glue is used at the factory to hold it in place. So instead I put a small foam sticky on the stator at the point the leads come out of the can. This holds the stator in place and quieted the motor a lot. I will contact Fantom directly although they didn't build stator assembly.

Thanks for all of the great help.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yeah, definitely sounds like it wasn't held together right and the stator was knocked loose inside. What is keeping the stator from coming out of the bottom of the can?

Fantom tunes all of their motors and tests them so I believe that they ARE the ones you would contact even though they don't manufacture them in-house.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

So guess who blew up his 3 year old Lipo battery today?? -.- And guess who's battery also took out his ESC?? Yup.. You guessed it.. So I have a little bit of time to shop around for an ESC and I was wondering what most of you guys are running? There are a couple I am looking at:

Orion r10
Orca VXX
LRP Flow
Airtronics Super Vortex Zero

I run Mod 2wd Buggy with a (very old) 7.5 motor..
Old 01-11-2014, 03:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FantomLeopard
So guess who blew up his 3 year old Lipo battery today?? -.- And guess who's battery also took out his ESC?? Yup.. You guessed it.. So I have a little bit of time to shop around for an ESC and I was wondering what most of you guys are running? There are a couple I am looking at:

Orion r10
Orca VXX
LRP Flow
Airtronics Super Vortex Zero

I run Mod 2wd Buggy with a (very old) 7.5 motor..
I run the hobbywing 100amp stock spec v3.1 which is good down to a 5.5.
www.falconsekido.com only sells it for $130and fancy control box is like $30. They also usually have a banner ad on this website which will save you an additional 5%. If you plan on racing a 4wd buggy, I would get 120amp version.
The other speedos above are awesome but I think once you compare specs and pricing, the HW esc is the winner.
I run mine in 2wd buggy with a 8.5 and esc barely gets warm with no fan
idbdoug
Old 01-11-2014, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by idbdoug
I run the hobbywing 100amp stock spec v3.1 which is good down to a 5.5.
www.falconsekido.com only sells it for $130and fancy control box is like $30. They also usually have a banner ad on this website which will save you an additional 5%. If you plan on racing a 4wd buggy, I would get 120amp version.
The other speedos above are awesome but I think once you compare specs and pricing, the HW esc is the winner.
I run mine in 2wd buggy with a 8.5 and esc barely gets warm with no fan
idbdoug
Hmmm that ESC looks pretty solid for the price. Any problems with it? How are the tuning options on it? I wonder if the 120amp is worth the difference in price.. $50 more for almost everything the same except for the amp draw.. And I can get it in that sweet red color! But then I'd feel the need to change all the anodizing in my car to match I'm only planning on running a 2wd buggy, I don't have money to run a second class right now.

On a side note, I'm thinking about upgrading my Motor.. Does anyone have experience with the Ion 2 motors and currently has an Ion 4 (D3.5)?? I'm not worried about the rpm/torque as that's all easy to get on my small home track, I'm mostly worried about efficiency/temp. Do the Ion 4's run a lot cooler and more efficient than the Ion 2's? I would assume so but the newer motors draw more power so it could also be quite the opposite
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'm also running. HW v3.1 100a stock spec. Love it. I use one in my blinky and a 120a v3.1 in my mod car with a 5.0. They both have the exact same tuning options. The stock spec is half the weight of the 120a though.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hyujmn
I'm also running. HW v3.1 100a stock spec. Love it. I use one in my blinky and a 120a v3.1 in my mod car with a 5.0. They both have the exact same tuning options. The stock spec is half the weight of the 120a though.
I'm hearing lots of good things about this ESC Best part is, I'll be saving a bit of money and I'll definitely be able to get an updated motor to go with it!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Hmmm that ESC looks pretty solid for the price. Any problems with it? How are the tuning options on it? I wonder if the 120amp is worth the difference in price.. $50 more for almost everything the same except for the amp draw.. And I can get it in that sweet red color! But then I'd feel the need to change all the anodizing in my car to match I'm only planning on running a 2wd buggy, I don't have money to run a second class right now.

On a side note, I'm thinking about upgrading my Motor.. Does anyone have experience with the Ion 2 motors and currently has an Ion 4 (D3.5)?? I'm not worried about the rpm/torque as that's all easy to get on my small home track, I'm mostly worried about efficiency/temp. Do the Ion 4's run a lot cooler and more efficient than the Ion 2's? I would assume so but the newer motors draw more power so it could also be quite the opposite
As far as speedo tuning options on 100amp versus 120amp, its almost like the high dollar radios more tuning options than you know what to do with, lol. No difference in tuning options between the two esc's. I don't know why you would want the 120amp unless maybe mod touring car or mod 4x4 buggy with a 5.5 and you run in a hot climate. Like you said, speed the money on a motor from Fantom.
I'm mostly a stock racer but started messing around with mod 2wd buggy with an 8.5 and esc barely warm. If you buy from www.falconsekido.com, I believe they are still advertising doubling warranty which will make it a 1 year warranty on esc Heard nothing but good things about D3.5's in mod and I believe the fastest Apex2 is 10.5. If you sign up for Fantom racing newsletter, he will send you a discount code also on your first purchase.
idbdoug
Old 01-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

As far as speedo tuning options on 100amp versus 120amp, its almost like the high dollar radios more tuning options than you know what to do with, lol. No difference in tuning options between the two esc's. I don't know why you would want the 120amp unless maybe mod touring car or mod 4x4 buggy with a 5.5 and you run in a hot climate. Like you said, spend the money on a motor from Fantom.
I'm mostly a stock racer but started messing around with mod 2wd buggy with an 8.5 and esc barely warm. If you buy from www.falconsekido.com, I believe they are still advertising doubling warranty which will make it a 1 year warranty on esc Heard nothing but good things about D3.5's in mod and I believe the fastest Apex2 is 10.5. If you sign up for Fantom racing newsletter, he will send you a discount code also on your first purchase.
idbdoug
Mmm so definitely don't need the 120 amp, I can get me my motor!

Where is the Fantom newsletter at? I don't know why but I have never seen anything for that..
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Mmm so definitely don't need the 120 amp, I can get me my motor!

Where is the Fantom newsletter at? I don't know why but I have never seen anything for that..
www.fantomracing.com is website. On main home page, look down towards lower left and you should see "join our mailing list." Jeff used to sent you discount code on first purchase so I hope I'm still correct on this but check your email obviously before purchase. Yep, insider tip from long time Fantom Racing supporter. Also, if you absolutely feel the need for the 120 amp HW esc you can get a factory refurbished unit for $165 or so and it has same warranty as a new unit plus their free shipping
idbdoug
Old 01-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

www.fantomracing.com is website. On main home page, look down towards lower left and you should see "join our mailing list." Jeff used to sent you discount code on first purchase so I hope I'm still correct on this but check your email obviously before purchase. Yep, insider tip from long time Fantom Racing supporter. Also, if you absolutely feel the need for the 120 amp HW esc you can get a factory refurbished unit for $165 or so and it has same warranty as a new unit plus their free shipping
idbdoug
Oh nice! I guess I never noticed the box because I'm always trying to avoid newsletters! And no, I've pretty much been all talked out of getting a 120amp esc I think the 100amp will go very nice with a new Ion 4 motor! It's always fun to get new things
Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Fantom/ROAR Approval

Hi guys, could i please get a SOLID answer as to weather Fantom Stock motors are ROAR approved or not. I can not find the name "FANTOM" on the ROAR approval list at all!!

Or,, as i am thinking as an OEM manufacturer they would come under the Epic/Trinity banner. Could you please confirm this.

I am about to run a Fantom 17.5 stock motor in a major race meet and don;t want to be outside the rules.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Dual Fuel; 01-13-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

IONv4 = Trinity D3.5
APEXv2 = Trinity Killshot

The motors themselves are just Trinity motors, tuned by Fantom to get better performance. You'll be just fine running them.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dual Fuel
Hi guys, could i please get a SOLID answer as to weather Fantom Stock motors are ROAR approved or not. I can not find the name "FANTOM" on the ROAR approval list at all!!

Or,, as i am thinking as an OEM manufacturer they would come under the Epic/Trinity banner. Could you please confirm this.

I am about to run a Fantom 17.5 stock motor in a major race meet and don;t want to be outside the rules.

Thanks in advance
Some tracks still don't allow any Trinity D3.5 17.5 based motors such as Fantom, so check flyer or contact race organizers for more information.
Below is link for ROAR showing Trinity Killshot RPM/Torque 17.5 motor approval:
http://roarracing.org/4rmb/forumdisp...ec-17-5-Motors
Fantom's version is ApexV2.
Here is a one small section of the legal announcement post of Fantom's Facebook page:
Under the terms of the agreement, the TRINITY D3.5/17.5 Trinity motor will be reinstated on the ROAR approved list on July 1, 2013 and will remain on that list though the first quarter of 2014, upon the release of the new TRINITY D4/17.5, when it will be removed. Trincorp has guaranteed this will occur before March 30, 2014.

If you wish to read whole statement of settlement with ROAR, go to Fantom's facebook page.
My advice, if you want to make sure your legal past the above March 30th 2014 date get the ApexV2 17.5 version. If you would post what class you are going to run the 17.5, I will make suggestions on RPM versus Torque stator version and what rotor to get also
idbdoug
Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Please check this out.. http://http://www.rctech.net/forum/r...l#post12926646

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.