Wiki Posts
Search

conrod and bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default conrod and bearings

got a new sleeve/piston/rod today for my ninja. My previous rod and bearings both have about a gallon on it. Would you use the old rod and bearings to break it in the replace with the new ones? or just put the new rod and bearings in and leave it. And can you reuse the clips? i have a new pair but if i switch rods i wont have new ones anymore.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

also, would .9 springs give me an advantage for break in? would it help the car idle easier without stalling at a richer setting?

and should i put a extra shim with 30% nitro? (1 silver and 2 copper)

Last edited by dreaux; 09-26-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Champion

On OS/Ninja/ Go engines its nice to use 1 conrod for breakin on all your new engines. And put the new rod back in after breakin.

Why are you changing piston/sleeve/ bearings at one gallon? Did you cook the engine? If you cooked the piston/sleeve in one gallon, then you cooked the bearings as well. I wouldn't use bad bearings for breakin.
You can reuse the wristpin clips. I don't think the clutch is a big deal. I would think that 1.1 springs would be easier for breakin. More slip, higher stall speed.

Don't Ninjas come with better bearings then the Vspec?, should last longer?

I would leave the engine as is, and pop in your old conrod for breakin.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

only reason i wanted a new piston and sleeve is because my old breakin was a nightmare the first gallon. Ran alot of it way to cold. THe old rod is still like new. Bearings are fine. And i wanted another set to put in my old vspec. will use the old rod and bearings for breakin and after put new rod and bearings.

I will also only use 1 copper shim with 30% for breakin. Thanx for the response
Old 09-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I was led to believe that the breakin procedure was breaking in the con rod too... I would have assumed installing a brand new con rod you'd want to do at least some sort of "ease into it" method ... instead of putting in the new con rod and flogging the guts out of it straight off the bat.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

It is bad to do a cold breakin for a gallon. But plenty of engines have survived such. That piston/sleeve may still be fine. It might be worth while to try them later, or next time you wear out a sleeve send them To Ray, he can pinch the sleeves and probally tell you if theyre bad or not.

All you have to do for the conrod is run the engine to op temp about ten times and let it cool. So just be easy on your car for ten tanks and let it cool completely before you wail on it.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I love this guys threads. If I pour gasoline on it and then light it with a match will it catch fire. IDK.

Why in the world would you even think about changing anything but a front bearing at the 1 gal mark. IDK. You must have been driving under water again. These things are not submarines you know...
Old 09-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I love this guys threads. If I pour gasoline on it and then light it with a match will it catch fire. IDK.

Why in the world would you even think about changing anything but a front bearing at the 1 gal mark. IDK. You must have been driving under water again. These things are not submarines you know...
Old 09-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Put all the new parts in and then breakin. Put old but like new parts in old motor.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Frank L

my piston and sleeve were fine. I am building another engine. I have a speed crank and new p/s. My other will be a standard ninja. I need to have to working engines.