foam tire prices, is this rape? >

foam tire prices, is this rape?

Like Tree1Likes

foam tire prices, is this rape?

Old 02-10-2004, 01:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Nexus
I posted I think earlier...

www.kthobbies.com has excellent prices..

TRCs 16.99
Jaco $16.50

nitroshoes are even cheaper and he has a sale now for cyan/magenta 26mm foams for $26 for a set of 4.

At those prices they are as cheap as rubber tire sets.
Not bad prices for tires but the 8 bucks for shipping really kills that deal. I get my nitro tires from Hong Kong any size and shore nitro shoe or ellegi/powers for 10.00 and a buck for shipping from the other side of the world mind you. And if I order more than 20 sets shipping if free. This guy is a friend of a friend so dont ask for his name.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:07 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by veecee
We're talking Gandini tyres - ie Ellegi, Fast, Power, etc - who has been producing tyres for years (targetting gas racers). These are arguably as good as TRC/Jaco/CRC if not better.

I think the Internet is rapidly changing the way we purchase, not just in this hobby. Irrespective of who's fault it is, I think there will be some major changes in the way R/C products are sold in the not too distant future.

Gandini has been around for a long long time..........Maybe they are fakes???......... but I don't think so......unless you are trying to re-assure yourself that your last USD22 for a pair of tires was money well spent!
Old 02-10-2004, 05:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

anyone know where i can get kawahara Zac foams from, they last longer than GRP brands (ellegi, power) but offer the same grip. Surikan uses them.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hong Kong prices

Let me just quote Jack Rimer:

I believe it is because some of our foreign distributors are content to make little or no profit by selling to these mail order shops. They, in turn, are content to work on ridiculously low margins to move product. I can't see these shops staying in business long.
In general (and this is really an over-generalization), chinese businessmen are content to sell at a profit, no matter how small. Most chinese businessmen do not have managers--they run the businesses themselves.

I'm in the Philippines, and most hardware stores (lumber and supply and all that) are run by millionaire chinese businessmen -- and they are the ones who open the shop, run the shop (maybe with their children), and close the shop. If there is a manager, it's probably his wife.

That's how they do business. Again, this is a generalization.

So it's no wonder for me that if they get tires from Jaco at $8, they'd be happy to sell it at $9. As far as they are concerned, that's already a dollar.

(Also, most of the time (and again, my standard disclaimer that this is just a generalization) chinese businessmen normally own the land and the building -- so rent is basically free. They won't count it as overhead or anything like that).

One last disclaimer: some might take this message as having something against the chinese businessmen. On the contrary, I merely state observations. In fact, most chinese businessmen I know are VERY rich.

So to the theory that these businesses might not stay around for long... I think they're here to stay. Unless there are no children to inherit the business...

--Alf
Old 02-10-2004, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

gotpez - you are correct. what mr. rimer has told us us more than most others would. i do not expect anyone to uncover their secrets. because this is a globally viewed board, i ask these questions, not only for answers, but to initiate thoughts and responses from others that have toyed with the same idea.

apparently jaco does not sell many donuts. of course, we think of the chicken or the egg analogy, here. perhaps there is no demand for donuts, but i don't think we can base this deduction on historical numbers, as they have never been affordable enough for us to go through the hassles.

i am still in search for some real suppliers and numbers, which i will have to work to find. that's ok. i must admit that starting on this board was a bit of a "cliffs notes" for me. it also gives me a feel for what, if any, demand there might be for less expensive donuts. and you can bet that if donuts become the rage, there will be wheel manufacturers doing colors and spokes, so that all of us don't have to look like copies of each other. these same wheel manufacturers would likely make a $10 plastic jig that would make gluing foams a snap! man, i'm tellin' ya...!

just think, spending less and doing it in style! i can't promise to make it happen, but this may just get the ball rolling.

thank you to anyone who dropped me a line offering assistance in the project. when i get some better numbers and an idea of feasability, i can begin putting together a task force.

one big question that i have is..., can anyone confirm that this material cannot be extruded in tubular form? purchasing the resin and foaming agent, or whatever the raw form is, might be more cost effective than sheets that match the width of our tires. i'm also thinking that it won't have to get shipped to the states. afterall, i do live 30 mins from the former rubber capitol of the world.

i dunno time brings change, that's all that's certain right now.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by dontfeelcold
anyone know where i can get kawahara Zac foams from, they last longer than GRP brands (ellegi, power) but offer the same grip. Surikan uses them.
Have you tried GQ tires? They are exactly 26mm for front measurement. It performs nothing less than Ellegy but last longer. Not as long as speedmind (that lack of inconsistancy in my opinion). The best part is, they should be the cheapest among all. In case you wonder, I sell all three brands.

I believe in the US, you can get trough Denis Richie (motorman).

Never use something just because some factory driver using them.. looks for comparisons and try them all is the best method. They got paid to use it, we don't.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

I just ordered mysely 2 pairs of the GQ from a company over seas

9.04 a pair for 26mm
10.40 shiped to west virginia use

28.48 grand total for a full set of these foams

go figure

Rob
Old 02-10-2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by WVRACER
I just ordered mysely 2 pairs of the GQ from a company over seas

9.04 a pair for 26mm
10.40 shiped to west virginia use

28.48 grand total for a full set of these foams

go figure

Rob
Find nearer supplier
Old 02-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

for what we pay here in the states i just bought a full set of tires shiped from arounf the would for cheaper
Old 02-11-2004, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Lightbulb insight

can anyone post facts they know about our beloved purple and orange foam?

material id?
suppliers, both for processed and raw material?
types of processes used for manufacturing of it?

this is kind of a ttt.

updates:

i will state that i have found a national supplier that will do business with me for less than the previously mentioned multiple 1000's of dollars. no, this will not be my best price, but it is a start.

i have also found someone willing to analyze a few samples, in an effort to cross it will something that they can provide. i do not know to what extent that they will test it, only that it will not appear to cost me much. the material is en route as of this moment.

not a bad start. would anyone care to further assist our community by sharing their knowledge?
Old 02-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

sea ball if you want someone to help with the testing let me know because i have the parimeters on what the tire should work like because of my past expieriance with testing rubber i also know of rubber manufactures in my area that makes stuff similar to what we use but back then it was expensive and i would give you there names but i cant rememeber them its been over ten years i know they are still there because i drive by there all the time.
we also need to look at some of the sythetic rubber out there that performes as good if not better bcause of there processing and their abilaty to btake apart!
Old 02-11-2004, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

speed,

i tried to call you. i left a message. call over, but i can't guarantee my freedom to speak. tres busy.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

seaball answer the phone i am on hold
Old 02-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by kickind
Does Jaco have a website?

What are the shores ratings on purple, orange, dbl purple, etc.?
Anyone know an answer to this?
Old 02-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

www.jacoracing.net ??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.