Wiki Posts
Search

Foam tires splitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Foam tires splitting

Does any one know of a manufacture of foam tires that uses a solid piece of foam?
I have Kyosho Red box, Enetti,Exceed,Jaco and Twister tires, and I have noticed that I am starting to get a lot of tires<rear tires> splitting where they seamed the foam together.
My tires are always kept in doors, in a box, and the only time I take them out is at the track, so I know they are not drying up.

thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Suspended

The only tires that will split are the tires that are made in Italy like Enneti and Twister
Old 09-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brc358
Does any one know of a manufacture of foam tires that uses a solid piece of foam?
I have Kyosho Red box, Enetti,Exceed,Jaco and Twister tires, and I have noticed that I am starting to get a lot of tires<rear tires> splitting where they seamed the foam together.
My tires are always kept in doors, in a box, and the only time I take them out is at the track, so I know they are not drying up.

thanks
Are they kept in sealed plastic bag? If not, they can still dry out. I keep my tires in large sandwitch baggies, boxed up, in the 'fridge....until ready to use. Yes...I'm single with no kids and don't drink, so plenty of room in there
Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thanks

I've seen some tires form a line on the rear tires for 1/8th but nothing that affects handling IMO... Make sure your body stiffener is still taped to the body. I had one set get a groove from the stiffener cutting into the tire.....
Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I agree with Mr. Francis, I think it is an astetic issue more than a performance issue. I have not really seen any performance degradation!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Default Foam tire splitting

All of the tires are kept either in baggies or in a box that I made for tire storage.
But I checked, and there are some from each brand that have some seperation in the foams.
I was kinda suprised when I found some of the Red Box tires splitting. These usually hold up very well.
Some of the tires have 4 pieces of foam glued together, while others have three pieces glued together.
Out of about 100 full sets, there are about maybe 20 pairs of rear tires that have started to spit, with only two front tires with splits.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

All of the tires are kept either in baggies or in a box that I made for tire storage.
But I checked, and there are some from each brand that have some seperation in the foams.
I was kinda suprised when I found some of the Red Box tires splitting. These usually hold up very well.
Some of the tires have 4 pieces of foam glued together, while others have three pieces glued together.
Out of about 100 full sets, there are about maybe 20 pairs of rear tires that have started to spit, with only two front tires with splits.

The multi splits is a way for the man to control feel and overall grip of a tire..
I'm surprised that your tires are splitting in storage.... I've only had a line groove on the tire during a run especially on high bite tracks....
You might want to change the way you store tires.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by the_geeky
The only tires that will split are the tires that are made in Italy like Enneti and Twister
wow wouldnt say that at all thats false imformation
Old 09-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Foam tires are stamped from sheets of foam, they have layers due to the manufacturing process and some customers believe that thin foam that cures fast produces more traction so they order more rings. Some believe thick foam is fine, so they order one big ring especially for fronts.

It would surprise you to know that most of the tires we run today come from the same foam factory, and the only reason I can't say all foams is because I don't have information on a couple brands. The difference is how one brand orders the foam over another, cured for a week, cured at a certain temperature.. whatever they think sells their tire besides their wheel but it is the same Japanese foam almost across the board at the major races.

I have had fronts split a few times on high traction surfaces so it wouldn't surprise me that rears split as well although it hasn't happened to me. I have also run tires that had been sitting in a rubber maid container (mostly air tight, but not vacuum sealed or anything) for over a year and the first cut makes them fresh as new again.

Are your tires splitting before you run them or are you talking about used tires that split some period afterwards? Some shops can have layers of dust on tires from years of being on the shelf in the florescent light.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Default Tire splitting

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
Foam tires are stamped from sheets of foam, they have layers due to the manufacturing process and some customers believe that thin foam that cures fast produces more traction so they order more rings. Some believe thick foam is fine, so they order one big ring especially for fronts.

It would surprise you to know that most of the tires we run today come from the same foam factory, and the only reason I can't say all foams is because I don't have information on a couple brands. The difference is how one brand orders the foam over another, cured for a week, cured at a certain temperature.. whatever they think sells their tire besides their wheel but it is the same Japanese foam almost across the board at the major races.

I have had fronts split a few times on high traction surfaces so it wouldn't surprise me that rears split as well although it hasn't happened to me. I have also run tires that had been sitting in a rubber maid container (mostly air tight, but not vacuum sealed or anything) for over a year and the first cut makes them fresh as new again.

Are your tires splitting before you run them or are you talking about used tires that split some period afterwards? Some shops can have layers of dust on tires from years of being on the shelf in the florescent light.
The tires that I see the splits on have been used. I start out with a 74mm rear tire, and once they get down to around 71mm or less, I dont use them.
But the tires that have splits vary from 73.50 mm down to 72mm, so they have been used. But I always make sure they are kept either in baggies, or in a controled ac room if I am not at the track. I have a room where I keep all of my RC cars and equipment, and the room is cool, so I dont think they can be drying out. Once in a while I will take the tires, put them on a tire truer, and very lightly clean the dust and contamination off with a very fine tire file.
I too have heard that most of the tire foam comes from the same factory, and the manufactures <Jaco,Kyosho,Enetti and such> dictates how many sections of foam they require for their wheels.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

The tires that I see the splits on have been used. I start out with a 74mm rear tire, and once they get down to around 71mm or less, I dont use them.
But the tires that have splits vary from 73.50 mm down to 72mm, so they have been used. But I always make sure they are kept either in baggies, or in a controled ac room if I am not at the track. I have a room where I keep all of my RC cars and equipment, and the room is cool, so I dont think they can be drying out. Once in a while I will take the tires, put them on a tire truer, and very lightly clean the dust and contamination off with a very fine tire file.
I too have heard that most of the tire foam comes from the same factory, and the manufactures <Jaco,Kyosho,Enetti and such> dictates how many sections of foam they require for their wheels.

Hi Bill, the shelf life on a used tire is short because of all the contaminants it picks up... I've reused tires before but I think I sat for only 2 to three weeks at most....

+ even if it doesn't split the tires should feel really dry...
Old 09-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Default Tires splitting

Originally Posted by Francis M.
Hi Bill, the shelf life on a used tire is short because of all the contaminants it picks up... I've reused tires before but I think I sat for only 2 to three weeks at most....

+ even if it doesn't split the tires should feel really dry...
Hi Francis,
They sure do pick up a lot of contaminats, and on a dirty track, it is even worse. I try and keep them clean, and bagged when not in use. I have found out that when they do dry up, by using Paragon,and then bag them, it drops the shore rating about 4 to 5 points on an 1/8th scale tire. But for a 10th scale tire, the Paragon only drops the ratings by 2 to 3 shores. I have been checking the tires lately, and thought the tires that are splitting were some of the tires that I have used a couple of times. But then I made it a point to start checking the new tires after one or two runs on them, and found some of them were starting to split. They are still useable fo course, just something that I have noticed when cleaning the cars and checking the tires. Are you going to CP this weekend?? Weather should be perfect this weekend.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Francis,
They sure do pick up a lot of contaminats, and on a dirty track, it is even worse. I try and keep them clean, and bagged when not in use. I have found out that when they do dry up, by using Paragon,and then bag them, it drops the shore rating about 4 to 5 points on an 1/8th scale tire. But for a 10th scale tire, the Paragon only drops the ratings by 2 to 3 shores. I have been checking the tires lately, and thought the tires that are splitting were some of the tires that I have used a couple of times. But then I made it a point to start checking the new tires after one or two runs on them, and found some of them were starting to split. They are still useable fo course, just something that I have noticed when cleaning the cars and checking the tires. Are you going to CP this weekend?? Weather should be perfect this weekend.

I'll try to go to CP, I have a sedan motor I need to finish breaking in....

I'm also trying to put my 1/8th together for the Regionals....
Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley

....what EXACTLY is the type of foam that is used for our tires???....Is it ANY of these???...need foam for a custom project...

Aflas
Buna-N
Butyl
ECH
EPDM
EVA
Gum
Hypalon
Ionomer
Neoprene
Polyethylene
Polyimide
Polyurethane
Santoprene
SBR
Silicone
Vinyl
Viton® Fluoroelastomer
.........any of these????.............
Old 09-17-2009, 02:02 AM
Tech Master

thanks
Try BSR. I have never had a problem with them splitting or pulling away from the edge of the rim.

Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.