Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
My first tear down for thorough cleaning..  Where to start? >

My first tear down for thorough cleaning.. Where to start?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My first tear down for thorough cleaning.. Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default My first tear down for thorough cleaning.. Where to start?

Getting mentally prepared to tear down my 8B 2.0 RTR for the first time and I'm a little apprehensive. Don't want to end up with extra parts/screws!

Can anyone post thier method for a cleaning teardown/rebuild in steps? (just the car, not the engine/diffs, etc.) I just want to get the major parts seperate for cleaning and likely install my new steering servo in the process.

This will be a learning experience for me and I'm hoping not to screw anything up.

-Evvy
Old 09-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

here is my process. I take the engine out, radio tray, then the front and rear off the chassis. Clean the chassis and inspect. Then take the front end apart seaparte from everything else and redo the front end. Then the same for the rear and center diff. It is pretty easy. If you have any problems just post and we will help you out
Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 AM
wfo
Tech Regular

Location: SO. CAL. Thunder alley, revelation raceway The Dirt -Perris RIP OCRC

Have your Losi manual close bye for the first few tear downs ,after that you will be able to to it with your eyes closed.I take my motor/pipe out, shocks,tires,radio try. fuel tank. I do this after most ever practice day and get into it even more after a race weekend. I put my screws in small containers and work on a nice table with room to move. I clean all the parts,WD-40,simple green.then put it back together .... its the best going to the track with a spotless car.....
Old 09-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

I blew all the dirt as much as possible, then i spray wd-40 in all bearings (hub carriers, steering,diff outdrives) then spray simple green, wash, dry w compressor in all parts, then wd 40 the hell out of it and last a clean rug to wipe out the wd40!!!! You got it like new!! Ahhh of course this is without the radio tray and engine.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to get WD-40 while I was out and will go do that in a bit. I don't have a nice tool set, just metric and standard sets of L-hex wrenches and the ones that came with the RTR. Hope I don't run into a screw that I can't find a wrench for.

I'll be starting it in an hour or so; if I run into trouble I'll be back here asking more questions.

Thanks again.

-Evvy
Old 09-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

GET yourself a quality power screwdriver with EDS, Xceed, Wera or similar quality bits and quality tools set.

with L-wrenches you will only strip screws and end up in pain in your wrist
Old 09-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

you have to get a set of hex wrenches, you will absolutely end up hating your car if you have to do all of your work with cheesy L wrenches. Here a some inexpensive sets that are of decent quality.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Hex-Wrench-Set

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...1-16-5-64-3-32

I personally use the thunder tiger one's a lot and I think they are great, you cant go wrong with them.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BIG RE
you have to get a set of hex wrenches, you will absolutely end up hating your car if you have to do all of your work with cheesy L wrenches. Here a some inexpensive sets that are of decent quality.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Hex-Wrench-Set

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...1-16-5-64-3-32

I personally use the thunder tiger one's a lot and I think they are great, you cant go wrong with them.
Thanks for the links. I'm ordering the thunder tiger set.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Adept

Well I dropped a servo horn insert onto the floor and it bounced around and then somehow slipped into the 4th dimension... Just gone.

Doesn't fit my ACE 1015 anyways. Anyone know what brand arms fit the spindle of ACE servos? I'd rather replace the stock with a metal horn while I have it apart.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Ace share the same number of splines with Futaba servos. Dynamite horns, or the ones made by Losi are good choices.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks.

I ended up drilling out the horn that came with the ACE for now. It's seems at least as strong as the stock Losi horn.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by WingWrecker
Well I dropped a servo horn insert onto the floor and it bounced around and then somehow slipped into the 4th dimension... Just gone.
Lay out a towel where you are working and this will help the bouncing issues...nothing worse than spending 30 minutes looking for some uber small set screw.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by midwestcajun
Lay out a towel where you are working and this will help the bouncing issues...nothing worse than spending 30 minutes looking for some uber small set screw.
Agree..Pit towel is a MUST!!! I also use one of those magnetized parts dishes to put all my screws and parts in. Helps things stay put!!
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...351&lpage=none
Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

make sure you have the manual - tear it down clean and check every part and screw, and put it back together per manual specs
Old 09-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sugelle
Agree..Pit towel is a MUST!!! I also use one of those magnetized parts dishes to put all my screws and parts in. Helps things stay put!!
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...351&lpage=none
The funny thing is that I use both a towel and a magnetic dish (started in planes before I got into cars) but I was holding the servo over my lap as I was pulling off the insert and it slipped out of my fingers an into oblivion. Still havent found it.

Anyways, I got it all apart and back together with no other issues and it was a lot easier than I had anticipated. But of course, she's dirty again already!

Anyone here have problems with the Losi 350 carb? My last outing gave me fits trying to get a good tune and I noticed when I had the engine off that the carb slide wasnt super smooth and the spring return wouldnt pull it all the way back to idle. I lubed the hell out of it and it was a little better.. I've read that the mill is good but the stock carb is crap. After changing the plug, going back to stock needle settings, fiddling around all day I still could not get it around the track more than twice without it quitting. I gave up in frustration and came home. I'm going to pull the engine aprt tonight and see how things look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.