Community
Wiki Posts
Search

engine modifying

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by revzalot
I'm really interested in learning how to modify engines. How did you guys get started doing this stuff?
I learned from my dad but he's been modifying engines for the best part of 30 yrs.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: NEED YOUR HELP MASTERRRRRR....

Originally posted by Top Gun 777
What you put there is fairily right, beside where is explanation for one of the cuts was done on your pics. Any explanation? Anything? Very small one!!!!!
that means, those thing i have bought is OKAY? wow.... at least i dont FLUSH DOWN my money in the toilet last sunday!

and which cut you saw in my pics? i didnt post any pic of my cuts.... i only post an article from RC CAR MAG .... which page tell me pls.... and can you help to explain for us here? pleeeaassseeeee.... a very small one.... hehehehehe...

mop
Old 06-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Not yet lah

Just couldn't stay away for the few minutes I had on line

Travelling is real bad ... tiring, smelly hotels etc. Can't wait to get back and continue assembling my car.
hahahaha..... once u r addicted to rctech.net means u cant run away from it....

this is where u will get more and more friends.... this is cool!

HOPE U WILL HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP DUDE!

mop
Old 06-19-2004, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

Has anybody tried the mods from the article that was posted earlier? Did you notice any difference if you did? Do you engine guru's feel this sleeve mod will give a little more kick to a pretty plain engine? Thanx
Old 06-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes, you will notice a difference. But that is just a small part of engine modifying. It is a quick way to gain a little more from your stock engine.
Old 06-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by mop_iko
hahahaha..... once u r addicted to rctech.net means u cant run away from it....

this is where u will get more and more friends.... this is cool!

HOPE U WILL HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP DUDE!

mop
Am back albeit with a bad hay fever. Still went to the track today though ... got my old V12 working again ... tonight back to finishing the 710.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Wish I would have read this thread about 8 hours ago, PRIOR to rebuilding my little stocker....

Easy things to remember when moding...sharp edges are ALWAYS a bad thing. Smooth out the paths that your air, fuel and even exhaust take and you will ALWAYS have a better flowing engine.

As far as enlarging ports etc, you need to know what you are doing. Bigger isn't always better.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:02 AM
Tech Master

Default BIGGER ISNT ALWAYS BETTER

elmar66 is CORRECT...

bigger doesnt mean BETTER....

bigger holes doesnt make your engine gain power.

that is why my gurus (i am still studying theory... not yet dremelling my stock engine. hehehehehe....).... told me... PLEASE DO THOSE MOD A LITTLE by LITTLE..... not too much at a time.... test the engine..... if your mod is enough for you.. then STOP the mod process.... if you have more money to buy spare parts.... then continue the mod until to reach the maximum/peak performance of the engine.... if you went too far.... for example making the hole TOO BIG... then your engine will start to loose its punch.... then you have to re-start modding with a new parts....

i still dont have time and braveness to start modding my engine.... i am still searching for more articles and advices....

mop
Old 06-20-2004, 06:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: NEED YOUR HELP MASTERRRRRR....

Originally posted by mop_iko
that means, those thing i have bought is OKAY? wow.... at least i dont FLUSH DOWN my money in the toilet last sunday!

and which cut you saw in my pics? i didnt post any pic of my cuts.... i only post an article from RC CAR MAG .... which page tell me pls.... and can you help to explain for us here? pleeeaassseeeee.... a very small one.... hehehehehe...

mop
I am not master, I am just learning it. LOL
I didn't meant that cuts on you engine, i mean the pics you showed.
As sleeve modding can give some tips. Every port on sleeve does it's own work. In 99% 0f desing engine the biggest issue is how to make design so it can be make not only on drawigs also in metal. It is pretty easy draw and much more dificult to mill that ports. The best scenario is when all corners on ports are squire ( unless noticed) but the minimum mill diameter usefull is so far we found 1.5 mm. We would love to have smaller, but it doesn't work, specialy when it comes to hard materials. So to compencate technology issues moddifiers do some cuts. On top of it, pretty often we desing port and we want to have variable angle across the port and it is pretty difficult to make on even 4 axis CNC mill ( it is possible to do, but cost is too high).
Even after all best deisgn are done and finaly sleeve is ready to run, run it and we can see on top of piston( when it start changing color to brown) how the flow going and according to that we want to add or correct flow and this is the moment when dremel time is in. It is happenning all the time during the testing of new product.
Just try to look on the sleeve on new broken in engine outside and you will see pic of heat impact-this is your dirrection where t go with cuts on ports. That pics on top of piston and outside sleeve will tell what has to be altered to have best flow of escaping gases and fresh mixture.
It is very long story to wright here, it is not only cuts, it is sleeve material ( which is imapcting flow too), it is crancase volume which is dictating vaccum and pressure levels and impacting speed and aount of mixture during the processes.
So the best thing to do is experimenting and collecting data base and use expirience of previouse experiments.
Happy father day for everybody
Old 06-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is a really cool thread. Can some of the master motor gurus post some tips, guidelines, or how-to to get started in engine modification? The article was informative but I'd like more info. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by revzalot
This is a really cool thread. Can some of the master motor gurus post some tips, guidelines, or how-to to get started in engine modification? The article was informative but I'd like more info. Thanks in advance.
Come to Revelation on O'Donnell I will help you.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Ed your PM box is full.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default murnan mod NS3

How much is a modified NS3 from Murnan? I am torn between the ns3 and a jp motor.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You can check his website for email. He is selling the Mugen X12 for $370.00.

http://murnanmodified.360k.com/

If you can get a NS3, you can send it to him and he will mod it around $80 or $85!

He also has the new REX motors forsale. He says they are super strong engines along with the X12 and NS3. He has raced all three motors and would recommend any of the three.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:35 AM
Regional Moderator

I'm so lucky that I have Murnan on my 710.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.