Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rageworks
Did anyone get to pull the trigger on this engine
yet? I had some things come up this week and
decided to cancel my order for one. I would still
like to here any input that can be offered on this
engine.
I have been pulling the trigger in this engine for almost a gallon, weird thing is that the engine is taking a long time to break in, even now it locks up frequently. during tuning, idle wasn't consistant but the upside is that I see that there is untapped power still in it. only problem is to get past the tricky tuning and getting it right. So far I am pleased with it inspite of the difficulties tuning. Gonna keep tuning it till I get it right and take it for the race this month to see how it holds up. Keep you guys posted.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by helivaguy

Thats awesome man, by the way did you manage to measure the sizes for the 2 bearings in the engine? Could you advise me on the sizes? Appreciate it man!
Old 11-19-2009, 02:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys check this out. it seems that Ofna's Force engine line and this RB K9 may be the same motor. please compare the two. Very striking resemblance. If these 2 are the same, then we now know who and what company made the K9.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=21551

http://www.automodelisme.com/index.p...1&limitstart=0

BTW. ofna's version is also a JL line.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yeah I think Roelof said it was a Force in another thread.

As for break in, I haven't run one of these motors but most of the newer super tight motors wont loosen up for a full gallon.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jun_808
Hey guys check this out. it seems that Ofna's Force engine line and this RB K9 may be the same motor. please compare the two. Very striking resemblance. If these 2 are the same, then we now know who and what company made the K9.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=21551

http://www.automodelisme.com/index.p...1&limitstart=0

BTW. ofna's version is also a JL line.

$174.... that is a really good price, I am eager to modify one and see what kind of potential it has in it.... I also like how it uses a hard billet piston instead of the cast pistons from most Taiwanese engines...
Old 12-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the RB Concept Touring Junior 9 On-Road Competition Engine (Turbo Plug)? (Or) At least know what it is comparable to power wise? Just also looking at a warm up engine for next year.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ine-Turbo-Plug
Old 12-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

It doesn't matter to me what country the K9 is made in, or what company has a similar looking version. Alls I know is that this thing hauls the mail in double-time. I've run RBs for 13 years, and after 3 gallons on my K9 I see no reduction in quality or workmanship on this mill. It still sticks on top, has exceptional compression, horsepower, idle, and run-time.

RB may have saved the consumer $100 by using less expensive labor and/or bearings, but who cares. The internal turbulence that todays over-the-top-output mills create will destroy any main bearing in about 5 gallons or less, if you are competing at a high level. Therefore, as I would do with any mill, I plan to replace with TKO ceramics before next season gets into full swing.

It seems like the people who have negative things to say about the K9, don't even have one.

Anyone having trouble keeping a K9 running is definitely a noob, but I would be glad to help them. I haven't had to re-tune mine in 4 races, at 3 different venues. I TQ'd three and won two of those races, against OS Speeds, GRPs, and Plus4s. The K9 totally removes engine trouble from the successful-race equation for me. Now I can focus on the chassis and driving.

plugs: RB5T or 4T when cold out, or OD97T
pipes: 053, JP3, rb2045 w/ round header
Old 04-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default k9 head shims

I run a k9 (3 gallons)motor sounds like a dirtbike firing up.motor has a lot of power and just bought another one today,but i do have a question,in the manual that comes with the motor it tells you to add a 0.1 shim if you run 30% nitro through it and it also says that it comes from the factory with 2 headshims but on both of my motors they have 4 shims,does anybody know anything about that?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:03 AM
Tech Regular

i also have the engine and i am running 30% and have not added or removed any shims. i have removed one but the engine was not running very well when start up. by putting again one shim back(total of 4 again) the engine was better on start up. my suggestion would be to run the engine as it is with the 30%
Old 04-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarKonnenD
Has anyone tried the RB Concept Touring Junior 9 On-Road Competition Engine (Turbo Plug)? (Or) At least know what it is comparable to power wise? Just also looking at a warm up engine for next year.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ine-Turbo-Plug
It is a good engine. It reminds me of the Novarossi LS3. It is a short stroke engine. Very good for the money.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grinder
It is a good engine. It reminds me of the Novarossi LS3. It is a short stroke engine. Very good for the money.
Man they discontinued it at Amain. All they have left is the Junior 10. I'd probably just go with this anyway for Nitro Sedan. Not sure yet what Nitro tourer I'll go with. Either just go with the MTX4X or try the Xray.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Pipe-Combo-Set
Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

all the new RB 10 engines are in stock at www.absolutehobbyz.com
Old 05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Guys!

I have a K9 which I seem to be having a little problem with overheating. perhaps you guys might have some insight on it.

I am running Byrons 25% nitro and have about probably 2 gallons in it so far.
Currently I have tuned it and it is running at 125 to 130 degrees C still with lots of smoke but not enough punch at the low and mid range. after running it for awhile the carb starts to get heated up to about 65 degrees C and starts to have flame outs with difficulty restarting.

I am in a dilemma as I can lean it more to get more punch but at a risk of running at higher temps 140+, and there is also the issue of overheating carb.

I believe that there is potential in the engine but how can I tap it without flaming out and overheating.

Been having this problem for awhile now, so much so that I have not dared to race it due to reliability fears.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, appreciate any help I can get from the guys running it too.

Cheers!

Dan
Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by free_spirit
Hi Guys!

I have a K9 which I seem to be having a little problem with overheating. perhaps you guys might have some insight on it.

I am running Byrons 25% nitro and have about probably 2 gallons in it so far.
Currently I have tuned it and it is running at 125 to 130 degrees C still with lots of smoke but not enough punch at the low and mid range. after running it for awhile the carb starts to get heated up to about 65 degrees C and starts to have flame outs with difficulty restarting.

I am in a dilemma as I can lean it more to get more punch but at a risk of running at higher temps 140+, and there is also the issue of overheating carb.

I believe that there is potential in the engine but how can I tap it without flaming out and overheating.

Been having this problem for awhile now, so much so that I have not dared to race it due to reliability fears.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, appreciate any help I can get from the guys running it too.

Cheers!

Dan
I believe you have a rich LSN I had the same problem. I

If the idle is coming in high then settles low, is a rich LSN masking a high idle
and a wide idle gap. Making you have to run the motor lean to make power

Is Killer 10 the same as a killer 9. and is a Classico 10 faster or better . Also is the Classico 10 made in Italy

Last edited by vivo quevas; 05-21-2010 at 10:33 PM.