Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how do you take the colour off anodised alloy

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 06:53 AM
Tech Regular

Default how do you take the colour off anodised alloy

how do you do this? besides very fine wet and dry sandpaper, how can i take the anodised colour of a alloy chassis. 7075 aluminium? i don't want to scratch it whilst attempting to take it of.

i heard oven cleaners work? which ones though? i doubt most of the new age earth friendly c$%#p wouldn't work though? it isn't toxic enough

any other methods? has anyone tried using those creams that make alloy rims into chrome rims? does it work?

reason being i will be getting a chassis which is blue and i want it to be the natural alloy colour. alloy colour wasn't available.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Get some "EasyOff" oven cleaner. Spray it on wipe off what you can and then get some auluminum polish and go to town!
[You can also use other oven cleaners.]
Old 02-22-2002, 01:22 PM

Take it to a engine rebuild shop or machine shop and have it glass beaded, or bead blasted, then polish it.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

2 teaspoons of Lye (Red Devil drain opener) in 1 liter (~quart) of water will take it of in 10 minutes

But you know that blank aluminium will corrode pretty quickly and gets black if you don't polish it constantly
Old 02-22-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Just be sure to wear rubber gloves if you decide to use Easy Off. I didn't use any and in the middle of my "de-anodizing" project, I noticed bits of skin were just peeling off my index finger. It took almost 3 weeks before the half inch split in my finger healed.

Also, if you leave the Easy Off on too long, it will leave a black "film"on the metal. You will have to go through the cleaning process again -- it will come off --, but it's very time consuming. It takes almost as long to get the black film off as it does the anodization.

Since you're doing a chassis, it shouldn't be too bad. I was doing cone washers and they were a pain because they were so small. With a chassis, the surface is nice and flat. I would recommend sectioning off the chassis and doing one part at a time. That way the Easy Off won't sit any longer than it should which may reduce the chances that the black film will appear.

Good luck,
DT