Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Engine for Z01T >

Engine for Z01T

Engine for Z01T

Old 08-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Engine for Z01T

I've just built the z01t, it's my first truggy ever, so I'm sure this will be a learning experience. But I was trying to figure out which engine to run? I've been looking at the O'Donnell .21, and the Jammin' .21. Which pipes have you guys used with either engine, and what starter box will fit the zo1?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ALPINEX
I've just built the z01t, it's my first truggy ever, so I'm sure this will be a learning experience. But I was trying to figure out which engine to run? I've been looking at the O'Donnell .21, and the Jammin' .21. Which pipes have you guys used with either engine, and what starter box will fit the zo1?

Thanks
Cool welcome to the family!!!
I would get the od ss.21 it is really good. Pipe for it some run jp-1 or a 2053

as for the jammin.... it is a relabeled pico

Starter box I use the blue truggy box from ofna with a lipo it will start ANYTHING!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Chris is right....The OD motors should be back in stock soon. If you cant wait, grab up a VSPEC. You cant go wrong with an OS engine. If you need any help with the truck just ask.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

get the ss21, theres one for sale in the classifieds for like 180.00 thats a steal!!! buy it before i do, i love mine!
Old 08-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ofna true start starter box. Part#10244
Old 08-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by chris c
Cool welcome to the family!!!
I would get the od ss.21 it is really good. Pipe for it some run jp-1 or a 2053

as for the jammin.... it is a relabeled pico

Starter box I use the blue truggy box from ofna with a lipo it will start ANYTHING!!!
+1...for the O'Donnell SS .21 and the Blue Ofna Truggy starter box... As far as the pipes...Steve has the matching Pipes Coming out soon.....I like the 2053 and the JP-4 for now.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm not in a hurry to purchase, so I can definitely research and make the right decision for me. I've been looking alot at the ss21, but haven't seen alot about it.

I'd love some help with the truck! I've never had a truggy, and it's been a while since I had an RC period. I have no clue what to run as far as set-ups. I did some reading on dif fluids and shock fluids before building, and went with 7k front, 10k center and 3k rear, as well as 45wt shock fluid. Which I already think may be to heavy. But it's a start, and I'm in Norcal at Travis AFB, so I haven't gotten to see any tracks to know how it should be set-up
Old 08-31-2009, 03:00 PM
DNO
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Your going to love the truck and so far these guys responding to our request are top notch. I just went through the whole set up issues and with out a doubt team O'donnell guys are willing to help any time, so not to quote an insurance company but your in good hands with O'donnell
Old 09-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ALPINEX
I'm not in a hurry to purchase, so I can definitely research and make the right decision for me. I've been looking alot at the ss21, but haven't seen alot about it.

I'd love some help with the truck! I've never had a truggy, and it's been a while since I had an RC period. I have no clue what to run as far as set-ups. I did some reading on dif fluids and shock fluids before building, and went with 7k front, 10k center and 3k rear, as well as 45wt shock fluid. Which I already think may be to heavy. But it's a start, and I'm in Norcal at Travis AFB, so I haven't gotten to see any tracks to know how it should be set-up

as for diffs...
I run 10/15/5
shocks i run the loose set-up as to shock oils.
Blacks in the front and a little secret Jammin 16 mm blue springs in the rear must use the jammin lower shock mount.

I havent raced in a while(been sick with shingles in my throat)(ouch!!!) but that was what i was running a few months ago. Also make sure to run a short wheel base and lower the rear camber link to the lower hole inside on the tower.

Have fun!!!

Hope it helps
Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I just posted in another thread about "good truggy engine", but now that I came across this one, it's even better.

I just picked up a Z01T from NJDevlis on the forum (thanks again Ken!), and I'll be getting the engine, pipe, electronics, etc...for it in the coming months. Here are a few engine recommendations that I was given by the guys in my club. The first two Ken has run and says they're both great.

- OS .21 V-spec (I was just reading that there is some longevity issue with the crank pin when used in a truggy. Does anyone know more about this?)
- O'Donnell SS.21 - How does it compare to the OS for ease of tuning? I've got 20+ years in RC, but it's all electric. I'm just getting into Nitro.
- Picco .28 - No experience with them, but I hear it's a BEAST.
- Novarossi 528XR - I can't find it at Amain, or on the Nova website. Has it been replaced by a newer model?

My concern with the .28's is the reduced run time, and extra stress on the drivetrain. My local tracks are all fairly tight and technical, with generally only one long straight, and a mix of large and small jumps, so I'll be setting up the truck for more low end / mid range running. From the engine choices I've listed, and what the others have said, what are some opinions on the motor / pipe combo for my conditions? I'm going to try and develop my driving skills around more of a smooth, controlled versus a "lightswitch" driving style.

One other thing, is there an O'Donnell "group thread" where most of the Z01B / Z01T guys hang out? I think it's going to be a good source of info...

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stubbs
I just posted in another thread about "good truggy engine", but now that I came across this one, it's even better.

I just picked up a Z01T from NJDevlis on the forum (thanks again Ken!), and I'll be getting the engine, pipe, electronics, etc...for it in the coming months. Here are a few engine recommendations that I was given by the guys in my club. The first two Ken has run and says they're both great.

- OS .21 V-spec (I was just reading that there is some longevity issue with the crank pin when used in a truggy. Does anyone know more about this?)
- O'Donnell SS.21 - How does it compare to the OS for ease of tuning? I've got 20+ years in RC, but it's all electric. I'm just getting into Nitro.
- Picco .28 - No experience with them, but I hear it's a BEAST.
- Novarossi 528XR - I can't find it at Amain, or on the Nova website. Has it been replaced by a newer model?

My concern with the .28's is the reduced run time, and extra stress on the drivetrain. My local tracks are all fairly tight and technical, with generally only one long straight, and a mix of large and small jumps, so I'll be setting up the truck for more low end / mid range running. From the engine choices I've listed, and what the others have said, what are some opinions on the motor / pipe combo for my conditions? I'm going to try and develop my driving skills around more of a smooth, controlled versus a "lightswitch" driving style.

One other thing, is there an O'Donnell "group thread" where most of the Z01B / Z01T guys hang out? I think it's going to be a good source of info...

Thanks.
Yes there is a Z01T thread and a Z01B thread.......its in the Nitro Offroad section....the Z01B thread is alot more active then the Z01T thread for some reason....I like the O'Donnell ss .21 great lil engine for the O'donell Truggy...my second choice would be a Novarossi Plus 4 Turbo...I have alot of different engines and alot of .28's....and I seem not to run the .28's very often. Welcome to the Fam!!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Sorry to dig this thread back up from the grave, but I didn't want to start a new one on the same subject. I'm still debating on an engine choice, I've researched alot, but now that the truck is wrapped up minus an engine, it's about time to decide! I'm leaning heavily towards the SS.21, but I keep looking at that Jammin' for the same price. What steers you guys towards the OD, versus the Jammin? I haven't read much bad about either engine! Has OD released their pipe set yet? IF not any kind of release date? What other kinds of pipes are good on this engine? I read JP1 and 2053, what are the pros and cons of each? Sorry so many questions, I just want a competitive reliable truck. Can you blame me?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

jpx 21 w/086 pipe. cheap and great
Old 09-16-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't offer advice on the jammin (no body in our club runs one) but as far as the ss, been running it for three weeks and every time I like it even more. I am running it with a jp-1 pipe and 30% nitro. Not alot of info but just one more for the od ss. As you can see not alot of us for jammin, hint hint.....
Old 09-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

i have two ss 21s and love them both! the od pipe isnt out yet but shouldnt be to far away. i talked to steve the other night and he said the jp-1 is the closest thing to the od pipe. i have a re11 and ae 2035 and my engines scream so im gettin a jp1 to see the difference, steves says its huge!

i saw one for 150 thats just broken in, thats a steal!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.