Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Whats the difference of these O.S. .21VG engines? >

Whats the difference of these O.S. .21VG engines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the difference of these O.S. .21VG engines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Stay away from anything and everything VG!

Im prob wrong but isnt the vspec a vg line as well as the speed? Ive been looking at the os vspec vg(p) nto sure what the P stands for?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mudboger07
Im prob wrong but isnt the vspec a vg line as well as the speed? Ive been looking at the os vspec vg(p) nto sure what the P stands for?
LOL no! There is nothing VG about tha v-spec line. "21VZ-B V-Spec-T (P) "
Old 08-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Here is why, the VG's are not chromed sleeves. They are ABN. What does this mean? It means very easy break-in (great for beginners) cheaper to make and yes, they will run great and hang with much more expensive engines. It also means the sleeve is soft and wears out very quickly. If you get one you will absolutely love it for a few races. You'll tell everyone you know that it is the best motor for the money on the planet. Then one day it will flameout on you and no matter what you do or how you tune it, it just wont stay running.

Want a great motor for the price? Nova BF2001, RB S3 or S5, etc. Run great and extremely durable.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mudboger07
nto sure what the P stands for?
P stands for "Pilot Shaft". All our motors are pilot shaft these days as opposed to the old airplane style threaded shafts.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by LabRat99
Mine lasted two gallons, then lost compression and began flaming out constantly. There are MUCH better engines at the price point you're shopping.

The Novarossi 3 port limited or the Dynamite Mach 2 are IMO way better buys for the money.
just like i said
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Here is why, the VG's are not chromed sleeves. They are ABN. What does this mean? It means very easy break-in (great for beginners) cheaper to make and yes, they will run great and hang with much more expensive engines. It also means the sleeve is soft and wears out very quickly. If you get one you will absolutely love it for a few races. You'll tell everyone you know that it is the best motor for the money on the planet. Then one day it will flameout on you and no matter what you do or how you tune it, it just wont stay running.

Want a great motor for the price? Nova BF2001, RB S3 or S5, etc. Run great and extremely durable.
Thats true, but OS also offers a 2yr warrenty. I had them rebuild mine twice. And when I say rebuild I mean bearing, sleeve, piston and rod.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

I do own one and I lost compression after a gallon and half. I rebuilt it and is running okay right now. Also a club member has also lost his compression after about 3 gallons just this weekend. They run good for awhile. I am moving on to Novarossi engines.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I should add they rebuilt them for free. I got 2 free rebuilds out of them.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You can find the os vzb new version on ebay for about 260 shipped, cant beat that price, or the motor, average about 5 gallons, new piston/sleve rod is 120 bucks, do it all over again
Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Originally Posted by xxxtcr
You can find the os vzb new version on ebay for about 260 shipped, cant beat that price, or the motor, average about 5 gallons, new piston/sleve rod is 120 bucks, do it all over again
Or get RayARacing to pinch it for about $20 and replace the rod, get another 5-6 gallons on it
Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know why you don't believe us about finding a different engine to spend your money on. Search for OS vg21 here and on Google and see for yourself. I have one and even though I got a replacement under warranty I still wish I would have gotten a different motor from the beginning. There are many more motors out there that will last MUCH longer and be more forgiving whether this is your first motor or you make a mistake even as a pro. The bearings will not last long, the piston/sleeve will wear out fast and if you overheat it accidentally a few times it is not forgiving because of the liner material. If you think that you are going to have problems if you are a beginner maybe the 2 year warranty will sell it for you but you will have to decide that. It will start and run reliably but won't last long. Take some of the suggetions for other engines here and research them as well. I wish I would have!