Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which engine for small track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

Default which engine for small track?

which engine would you recomend for a small track?
Old 01-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

How small? My choice would be Mugen MT12. Relatively cheap if you can find them. OS TR is also a decent choice.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally posted by rod_b
How small? My choice would be Mugen MT12. Relatively cheap if you can find them. OS TR is also a decent choice.
os.tr is a great choice
Old 01-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Hey all, I found a mt 12 engine, but i know the line is not being sold anymore. Can i go ahead and get it, or should i get something different since there aren't any replacement parts (i don't think)
Old 01-26-2004, 03:27 PM
Tech Adept

dont know the exact numbers but its not really big only has one straight that barely lets you go into second and some sweeps
Old 01-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

bballer - you should be able to find replacement parts for the MT12 for a while. The piston and sleeve is interchangeable with many of the current novarossi based engines as well as the crank. The only thing that may become a problem in the future is a replacement conrod. I've used p/s sets from novamega, rb and even a side exhaust p/s set as replacements in my MT12.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Default OS 12 TR for reliability ~ IMHO

We run behind the LHS on sundays, the track is tiny and most of the guys lock down their two speeds as none of the straights are long enough to shift. I've been running a OS 12 TR, it starts everytime, doesn' flame out and has enough HP to get around.

I'd stay with a low HP motor and focus on corner speed and keeping tight lines for fast times, leave the high end motors for the big tracks. More HP just gets you spun out, or going wide on the tight tracks IMHO.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone one what part number Novarossi crank will work with the mt-12 (threaded)?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

They have them in stock at www.Ace-Hobbies.com
Old 01-31-2004, 04:03 AM
Tech Regular

Default Re: which engine for small track?

Originally posted by rodrigo1508
which engine would you recomend for a small track?
What Car are you driving? Are you running foam or Rubber? Car set up and driving style matters more on a tight track and even more if its technical as well. Most Good motors can be tuned to run more RPM for longer tracks or more torque and zip for smaller tracks. I have an OS I'm less then satisfied with it I have 2 RB's that blow it away on any carb setting that they will start on and they start and run very well with no flameouts thru alot of settings.I have an STS D3 that is just plain sick on acceration a little more touchy on the carb setting but very Fast for small tracks and can gear it for longer tracks. If you run your setup with more power to the front tires on a smaller track you have more driveable power thru turns ie larger fronts or more gear ratio. This is harder on the drivetrain for shafts gearboxes and belts but it does give you more frontend control with faster motors that might tend to spinout the rearend on smaller tracks.This is just something that I have observed through a recent change in my belt conf. on my MTX3 and it has helped me to control the manuverability of a very Quick motor that I am less capible of using efficently due to a lack experience driving at Mach 2 with my Hair on fire into a turn. For overall performance I can't walk away from RB's They have always treated me well. For Acceleration from the line and a great price STS D3/5. Check E-bay
I recenly picked up a Very nice RB X12 3 port for $90 and it is Very tight still in Great shape the STS D3/5 sell in the $140 range nib.It all still comes down to #1 How well you Drive your car #2 How well you tune your engine #3 How well you setup your Chassis and just as important as any of it How well you maintain the whole setup! If your batteries die or your motor mounts loosen up a wheel falls off or any other of 10 dozen things happen you are pretty much done in a main. I hope this helps you some as i have Learned most of this from other people on this forum and trial and error i'm just trying to return some of the knowledge to others.Good Luck! and Pm me if I can help you i will My allegiance is to the hobby and its growth.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:22 AM
Tech Adept

In my humble opinion I have 3 MR12's and a MT12 both engines have more than enough power for our medium track in Hawaii. relatively inexpensive and so far really dependable. Good luck and Good racing
Old 01-31-2004, 11:43 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks to all I think Ill stay with my sts d5 for now and try a different gearing I still have some other things I to buy that I think will be better than a new engine