Wiki Posts
Search

Losi Engine Mounting Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (88%+)
Default Losi Engine Mounting Trouble

Does anyone ever have a hard time keeping there engine from coming loose? Today i went to the track and i couldnt even run a lap because the engine was sliding and it wasnt alligned right with the center diff. Any tips to keep it tight?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

i personally haven't had any problems with it coming loose but if you haven't already id suggest some locktite on those screws! where is it coming loose from? the chassis or the motor itself?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by slayyer
i personally haven't had any problems with it coming loose but if you haven't already id suggest some locktite on those screws! where is it coming loose from? the chassis or the motor itself?
Its the screws under the chasis. On one of the motor mounts, both screws go in all the way but on the other mount there is a considerable amount of space between the screw head and chasis. So they can still go in more but they wont. Are the holes on the engine mount too small for the screws? They are the right screws.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Tech Addict

huh i havent heard of the screw not screwing in all the way.. are you sure all the screws are you same size? it might be a possibility there is dirt buildup in the holes not allowing the screw to fully tighten also.. just trying to think of things that would cause that..
Old 08-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

I know they are the right screw because i checked it right in my manual. Yea i will check to see if there is any dirt in there.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

yea check that because i cant think of anything else that would make the screw not fasten all the way unless you cross-threaded it..
Old 08-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

What do you mean cross thread? You think i should take a drill and widen the hole a little bit? Because there is no dirt in there.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Do you have the washers that go on those screws? That might be the problem. And loctite them once you have your gear mesh correct.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

No i do not have the washers. But the other 2 screws do not have washers and they go in all the way. Can i just put ordinary washers in there? And would the screws really stay tight if i added them?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Tech Addict

No, there are special tapered washers that go on there. I just checked the manual and they are #8 Countersink washers. There was not a Losi part number for them, but I suspect your LHS would stock them.

The washers should solve the screws not going in all the way. If you loctite them with washers and they still won't hold, then the holes on your motor mounts are probably junk and you should get new ones.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Ok i see what you are talking about. I just dont get why its not happening to the other screws.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah, I don't know why 2 would go and not the other 2??? There may be a slight manufacturing difference in the motor mounts or something.

I've also heard of people using teflon tape as a temporary fix on race day if the holes are bad. Just wrap the screw with 2 layers of teflon tape and then put it in. Would probably get you through a race day, but not a permanent fix.

Double check your screws to make sure they are the right ones and all 4 are the same length. The fact that 2 will go and 2 won't almost sounds like the thread pitch on 2 of the screws is not correct.

You also have to torque the living sh@t out of them. I've broken a Losi driver torquing mine, but they've never come loose. Repairs tend to get expensive when your engine starts sliding around!! Clutchbells and spur gears aren't cheap.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

DO NOT LOCTITE THEM !!!!

you will never get those screws out intacted. it sounds like the threads inside the mount are messed up. try those screws in the other mount. if they work its the mount, if it doesnt its the screws. When you get this problem fixed just tighten the screws pretty well, to the point where you think your driver will snap. they shouldnt come loose. almost everyone who drives losi for a while will tell you not to loc tit those screws
Old 08-21-2009, 04:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
DO NOT LOCTITE THEM !!!!

you will never get those screws out intacted. it sounds like the threads inside the mount are messed up. try those screws in the other mount. if they work its the mount, if it doesnt its the screws. When you get this problem fixed just tighten the screws pretty well, to the point where you think your driver will snap. they shouldnt come loose. almost everyone who drives losi for a while will tell you not to loc tit those screws
I always use blue locktite on the screws from the bottom and I have never had a problem. Been running losi for 3 years now.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Tech Master

No one has even mentioned to try and run the appropiate size ream through the mount. The threads might be messed up or not completely through. The ream should fix this. Think it is 8-32 size.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.