Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Noob Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Noob Question

My friend and I decided to build 2 kits. A d8 and d8t. Im totally green and after reading and reading about motors (and being overwhelmed with info) I think that .21 novarossi bf limited from houstons with mod is a good price and motor for someone getting into racing. Any opionons would be appreciated and also is this motor strong enough for the truggy. Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

if you are just starting out a mod motor may be but not
always be harder to tune than a stock one you may
think about a o.s. v-spec easy to tune and good power
Old 08-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Falcon422
My friend and I decided to build 2 kits. A d8 and d8t. Im totally green and after reading and reading about motors (and being overwhelmed with info) I think that .21 novarossi bf limited from houstons with mod is a good price and motor for someone getting into racing. Any opionons would be appreciated and also is this motor strong enough for the truggy. Thanks
Super easy to tune motors great power and run for ever . i have two n21bfs and love them for sure a super motor for a buggy and should do ok in a truggy if moded
Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

You didn't say anything about radio gear. I would get good servos and a good radio. These are universal and if you go ahead and spend the money on them they should last a long time. Get someone to help you setup your linkages because if done wrong it can eat your servos. Get a good radio something like the dx3r or dx3s or M11. As far as the motor goes the NR 21bf is really good, but may be a little weak on the truggy. I know carolinas is selling the P5XL for like 265 or something and that is a great truggy motor.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

Default Put the ball in his court

The best thing to do is tell Monty what kind of driving you are going to do and what kind of mechanical aptitude you have and he can match you with the perfect engine. I am glad you are aware of him and his services. I have a testemonial on his webpage. I can comfortably refer him to anyone. He will treat you right.
http://houstonsengineservice.com/
Old 08-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

guys ty for your replies so far. Im taking one step at a time and think I have the motor figured out. I have already had email chats with monty and he responded almost imed so im getting my motors from him. kit and motor done now its time for radio and servos. Let the research begin!
Old 08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you cant go wrong with a novarossi.

enjoy your d8 and d8t! if you have any questions about them come check out their threads for help

D8 - http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...ies-buggy.html

D8T - http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...?highlight=d8t
Old 08-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I wouldnt go with a mod motor or and expensive motor. I would recommend something like a Mach .21 dynamite. As I became more experienced I would upgrade to more expensive motor.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

First off, Welcome to the hobby!!!!!!!

The N21BF would be a great first engine for you. It holds a tune very well, is easy to tune, idles like a champ and has plenty of power. Very user friendly for newbs. You can buy 2 of those for what alot of people spend on one engine. If you do happen to burn one up, you are only out $150 instead of $300 or more!!!

I've got a JP-2 pipe on mine and it works well. I've heard people having great luck with 086 pipes on them as well. That engine has a lot of torque, so you need a mid-high pipe on it to get some more top-end out of it.

I do agree with one of the previous posters. Get good radio equipment right off the bat. I've seen plenty of people start off with "cheap" radios, then see them mad a month later and trying to save up for a better radio. I use a DX3R, but there are plenty of other good ones out there. Get good servos too. You will be glad you did!!

Best of luck to you!!!!